Piston to head clearance

More
26 Jan 2009 13:22 #260313 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Piston to head clearance
kzz1p wrote:

Retarding the intake cam reduces the overlap, moving the RPM range down on the scale. It closes the intake valve later. The later closing of the intake timing event reduces the cranking compression therefore cutting the risk of detonation.The squish clearance is important on hard core race engines. If it's a street bike, why turn it into an engineering project? If you have built many engines you may want to push your own limits and skills. If you are a 1st. time builder keep it simple and have fun.Torque is good for smoke shows, quickness & moving heavy bikes.Torque can sometimes be harder to hook up. Torque will get you there quicker,Horsepower will get you there faster.Myself I like cams with streetable lift and duration. I mainly look at the overlap. I see for example: cams with (.410" lift/300*duration)most companies have them. The differance is the overlap in most cases.Where do you want the Power? Small overlap= torque, big overlap=HP.
Everyone does it different! Whats the old saying "There are more then one way to skin a cat"

retarding the intake does not move the power band down. Advancing the intake does.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2009 14:17 #260331 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Piston to head clearance
martijn wrote:

kzz1p wrote:

Please help me understand. You have a 1200cc motor with 10.75:1 compression. Aren't the web 110's drop-in cams? or very close to it? You have the deck height at +.003". Is that the dome? Or the outside edge of the piston?
It sounds like a very good torque motor.

alomost drop in. I had to grind to lobes to make them 1mm smaller otherwise they did hit the head.
Much torque when intakelobe at 104,5 degrees.

huh?:unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :blink: :S this is my oh my god look !

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
26 Jan 2009 16:47 #260376 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Piston to head clearance
My question is: If a stock cam has an event timing of 30/70 intake & 70/30 exhaust. What would the event timing be if you advance the intake cam?

More
26 Jan 2009 17:17 #260384 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Piston to head clearance
PLUMMEN wrote:

martijn wrote:

kzz1p wrote:

Please help me understand. You have a 1200cc motor with 10.75:1 compression. Aren't the web 110's drop-in cams? or very close to it? You have the deck height at +.003". Is that the dome? Or the outside edge of the piston?
It sounds like a very good torque motor.

alomost drop in. I had to grind to lobes to make them 1mm smaller otherwise they did hit the head.
Much torque when intakelobe at 104,5 degrees.

huh?:unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :blink: :S this is my oh my god look !

plummen..are we refering to the "grind the lobes" part?....i was scratchin on that one........