KZ 750 H3 - Valves and Compression

More
30 Dec 2008 22:51 #255482 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ 750 H3 - Valves and Compression
WBPDX wrote:

So I've decided that if I am going to do this, I need to order my parts TONIGHT to have a chance of finishing it by the time I need the garage cleared out.

Right now my shopping list is:

-Manual
-Shims
-Carb boots (maybe)
-Advancer (eBay)
-Complete gasket set (Or just headgasket and valve cover)

Make sure you get the valve seals.

WBPDX wrote:

How intelligent would it be to buy a used head for shim-swapping, and in case I have a REAL valve problem?

I kind of doubt you need a new head at this point.

WBPDX wrote:

For the cost of 8 shims, I can probably buy a used head...

I thought the smaller shims for the four cylinder bikes were cheap and plentiful, I could be wrong.

WBPDX wrote:

What are the odds that my rings are worn, and is there a source for reasonably priced standard size rings?

The chance they are worn is pretty low, the worst case scenario is that they rusted to the walls and now the cylinder walls are pitted there.

New rings and pistons for the four cylinder Kawis are not cheap, I see them on fleabay sometimes.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2008 22:53 - 30 Dec 2008 22:55 #255483 by bountyhunter
Patton wrote:

Imo, chances are reasonably good that setting valve clearances to specs may resolve the compression problem, and without any need to remove the head. :)

I would certainly try that first.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 30 Dec 2008 22:55 by bountyhunter.

More
31 Dec 2008 05:55 #255499 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic KZ 750 H3 - Valves and Compression
to save some time, you might try the fill the cly with air trick,,, pull the schrader valve out of the compression tester and hook a compressor to it, rotate the engine until both valves are closed and lock it down so it will not rotate, will the cyl with air and listen to see where it comes out, carbs,, intake valves,, exhaust,, ex valves,, inside the engine, rings and or gaskets, may save you some time

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
31 Dec 2008 06:45 #255508 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ 750 H3 - Valves and Compression
WBPDX wrote:

... when I took off the points cover, there was a busted up spring, and what looked like part of the advancer assembly sitting loose, wedged in the cover! The messed up thing is, I can't find ANY of these parts in the fiches. Whats going on here?

Would keep advancer on the shopping list.

Thinking the advancer is a preassembled part, and that the individual components aren't listed separately.

The FSM refers to cleaning and lubing the advancer so it will operate smoothly, and says to replace it in event of any damage to springs, weights, etc.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• WBPDX
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ750 H3
More
31 Dec 2008 08:13 #255517 by WBPDX
Replied by WBPDX on topic KZ 750 H3 - Valves and Compression
Yeah, definitely ordering an advancer...

• WBPDX
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ750 H3
More
31 Dec 2008 12:42 #255545 by WBPDX
So there is SOMETHING to be said for water torture and Sea Foam...

A round of sea foam into each didn't seem to change the numbers much; they all gained 5 PSI.

Water tortue brought me to:
130 - 80 - 50 - 115

I did one more round of water tortue and sea foam; just a small amount of water, and a small amount of SeaFoam (it did make a LOT more smoke\steam on the last try though.) And the numbers remain unchanged.

So now it is time for a leak down test I guess.

• WBPDX
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ750 H3
More
31 Dec 2008 16:33 #255578 by WBPDX
I didn't do a leakdown because I realised I'd need an compressor or air tank, and I don't have either.

But what I did do is block off the vac ports on the carb, and the petcock (making pri the only ON) - I discovered a few issues with the carb boots while doing this, and now the bike runs surprisingly smooth, and 75% of the time will idle and rev up and down like it should. The other 25% of the time it is having trouble idling, and will occasionally not rev-down.

For right now my plan is to tear into the carbs once more when I get my replacement jet (which alone could be the issue) and replace the valve cover gasket, and check valve clearances at that time (Now that the compression is up.) Then decide what's next.

More
31 Dec 2008 22:22 #255619 by bountyhunter
WBPDX wrote:

now the bike runs surprisingly smooth, and 75% of the time will idle and rev up and down like it should. The other 25% of the time it is having trouble idling, and will occasionally not rev-down.

If you run an engine with too little or no valve clearance, you can burn the valves and the valve seats and destroy the head. You really need to get the valve clearance set right.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• WBPDX
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ750 H3
More
03 Jan 2009 15:34 #255967 by WBPDX
I realise I could damage the valves, but honestly, they've been damaged already if they are going to be damaged.

I've managed to loose cylinder #4, as far as running. Previously #3 had died, but I got it back after additional carb cleaning. I have spark on #4, but the carb on #4 is giving me some minor troubles, but nothing that would indicate I should loose it. I guess I will worry about the valves first, and come back to it. I still have lots of compression on #4.

My manual was supposed to be delivered today but they didn't leave it, left a redeliver tag. :(

Is there ANYONE that can post a summary of the cam removal at least? I just want to know how to position the crank\cams, and if I just slip the chain off the cams, or if there is more to it.

More
03 Jan 2009 16:31 #255988 by bountyhunter
WBPDX wrote:

Is there ANYONE that can post a summary of the cam removal at least? I just want to know how to position the crank\cams, and if I just slip the chain off the cams, or if there is more to it.

If it was a 750 twin, but I never rebuilt a four hole.

I recommed trying this:

if you pop the valve cover off, turn the crank until you align the T (that's the TDC mark) and look at the cam gears. They should have marks to align them to SOMETHING. If there is a numbered position on the cam gear, count the number of cam chain links across between the marks.

Write it all down and you should be able to put it back together.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• WBPDX
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ750 H3
More
05 Jan 2009 21:54 #256375 by WBPDX
Got the cams out, was able to read the shims! Looks like I need 7 shims. I quickly tested my two very tight intake valves with the smallest shim I had (on the two cylinders with low compression) and it looks like I need to go down 4 sizes from what was in there!

I consider this a good sign - Proof that valve clearances are probably the main reason for the low compression.

More
05 Jan 2009 22:08 #256376 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ 750 H3 - Valves and Compression
cool !B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.