what would you do.....????

More
07 Dec 2008 10:54 - 07 Dec 2008 10:56 #251283 by iroc355
what would you do.....???? was created by iroc355
Well my budget drag build has come to an even tighter budget recently. SO i have been forced to make a decision now..........

ill have my chassis built this winter, ill have a full roller. then my budget kicks in, i had been planning on a 1075 12:1 kit from APE, getting trans done, head done, etc...... plus all the machine work

this wont be in my budget now for a year or two, so i need to decide if i should throw together a basically stock 1000 motor and just run that and work on my reaction times and such or do i just wait until i build the motor i wanted to.

i would still have the 29mm smoothbores, clean up the head myself, sidewinder v&h pipe, velocity stacks, air shifter, coils, wires, ignition.

im running a 5.5" slick, raked out a few degrees, 400 front end and wheel, akront rear wheel, 6" over swingarm, backbone fuel cell.

so do i build a stocker for now or wait?? wuts ur thoughts?
Last edit: 07 Dec 2008 10:56 by iroc355.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2008 11:10 #251293 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic what would you do.....????
You need more friends(with money)B)

If you wait til you have the funds...will you lose interest?:S
How many OTHER projects will pop up,in the meantime?

Get your priorities in order...bike first!B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
07 Dec 2008 13:11 #251326 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic what would you do.....????
Definitely get the bike running with what you have. There is no substitute for seat time. You can have the best bike on the grounds but unless you know how to ride at both ends, you will still lose. The only way you will learn how to drive both ends is by doing it. So, get whatever motor you can piece together and get to the track. I have seen many stock based bikes win races. That's the cool thing about e.t. racing. It's not how fast you are but how good you are. A fast bike is an advantage sometimes, but having a slower bike and getting a large headstart can really freak out a lot of guys watching you disappear down the track. Don't worry about how fast you are....worry about getting out there and getting experience. Running your bike this way will give you time to get your routine down and learn the ropes before you start adding power. Easier when you don't have to worry about how to handle lots of power while trying to learn how to ride at the same time. It isn't as easy as it looks so the fewer things you have to worry about while racing, the more time you can spend on just learning the ropes. Set your bike up with a stock motor if necessary and get the chassis worked out so that when you have the big motor, all that stuff is done and you can just concentrate on learning how to use all that new horsepower.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Dec 2008 15:16 #251340 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic what would you do.....????
What he said.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
07 Dec 2008 15:33 #251344 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic what would you do.....????
Give the bike to me, I'll finish it! :laugh:

You did notice I said GIVE, as in permanently :P

Since you're doing this as a drag bike, decisions to make as follows...

1) As you mentioned, build as is and work on your start times... Unfortunately under this option, you'll most probably get frustrated for the bike won't be to your ideal expectations once off the line.

Then there's what if something goes wrong and you damage the bike due to over pushing her... Then you're going to really be pissed!

2) Take your time, save a dollar here & there and buy another part here & there, modify here & there etc... it all adds up to a final product. ;) This way, you can accomplish what you truly want to do with this bike.

3) Give me the damn bike! :laugh:

All I can probably add here is I can't even count how many times I said to myself, "OMR, WTF are you doing here", "just slap it together and ride her for phucks sake already"... :laugh: :laugh:

But I held out, stayed patient, researched some more, asked questions, modified what I didn't like I did the first time, planned for the upcoming next couple months etc...

Now I'm at the end of that time tunnel, I see daylight, I hear her that Kerker roar & growl down the track sounding like a Raped Ape.... Music to my ears...

Is that gay or what! :blink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blush:

Unfortunately, you're the one that has to make the decision...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
07 Dec 2008 16:12 #251348 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic what would you do.....????
iroc355 with that combo at your altitude you still should run mid to low 11's maybe into the 10's if your light enough build it the way it is and have some fun get the seat time the badass motor will come in due time just make sure you get the crank welded or it will twist the first time that slick hooks hard, i ran a small motored combo for years had a lot of fun with it and won a lot of races and chamionships with it. just do it if you wait for the big power you might never get out there if the chassis and gearing are right you should still be able to get into the 1.40's for 60' foot times.and don't be scared of a lot of rpm remember i saw that video of yours. if you have any questions about the set-up please feel free to get in touch with me.i have 15 years of running a combo similar to yours.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
07 Dec 2008 19:43 #251380 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic what would you do.....????
spend your money and get the chassis sorted out.then rebuild the motor but spend whatever extra money you have on the bottem end .weld crank ,timing chain and any other questionable stuff then you can always build a killer topend later without worrying about the bottem end causing problems.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Dec 2008 20:43 #251391 by iroc355
Replied by iroc355 on topic what would you do.....????
i already got a welded crank, welded clutch basket, will definantly use a new timing chain.

More
08 Dec 2008 01:24 #251406 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic what would you do.....????
well theres half your battle already won then ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Dec 2008 11:33 #251451 by iroc355
well i think im gonna just throw together a pretty much stocker for now and focus on the chassis and get some seat timw in next year!!

More
08 Dec 2008 14:36 #251468 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic what would you do.....????
good choice that will be better than sitting on your backside wishing you could go racing and remember give it lots of rpm launch it at least 9000 it will take it and you wont bog.what is a redline

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
09 Dec 2008 15:59 #251648 by iroc355
haha, i was wondering if it was gonna launch ok or not