motor sitting for 9 years

More
30 Nov 2008 20:33 #250115 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic motor sitting for 9 years
I have gone through this a number of times and if the rings are frozen as much as I suspect they are and since you have another block, you can be a bit more free with the prying. Generally, you can get a bit of movement but the rings will hold to the liners so if you get some movement, use a piece of wood and a prybar and have at it. Pry one end and then the other. You will likely break the block or pistons. Just don't damage the cases, hence the wood as a base for prying rather than directly on the engine cases.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
30 Nov 2008 22:01 #250129 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic motor sitting for 9 years
George you allways have my answers and it is appreciated.i was hoping you'd get a look at my post cuase i was worried that i would get off on the wrong path.The other thing i was wondering is if i rubber mallet down with a wood tap block on the cyl tops while prying against a case softner will i be stressing any crank bearings -if i'm as careful as can be-and take my time to pop each free what will i risk inside the cases????thanks to all who replied so far..peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
01 Dec 2008 01:23 #250145 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic motor sitting for 9 years
get a blocki and start hammering down on each piston top. It helps to have something under the block if theres any room. piston tops and crank can take alot. You can pry all day long and be late for more than just supper.

More
01 Dec 2008 05:39 #250156 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic motor sitting for 9 years
I have whacked pretty hard and never hurt the crank bearings. I have also used a pretty big breaker bar to pry.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Dec 2008 06:36 #250166 by trianglelaguna
thanks that is good news cause it looks like i'll be tapping pretty good.... will update when i free it ...peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Dec 2008 07:33 #251238 by trianglelaguna
hey i got some movement...i have about 3/8 between the cases and block and can see the rust lines from the pistons moving out of the sleeves..wow i banged hard...i gave up on the rubber mallet and used some big flathead craftsmens and tapped with a small carpenters hammer on the pistons ,,this finally broke it free,,but not before i got inpatient and pried on the starter motor top and snapped a two inch section of base fin...i learned though...see if today it comes off...peace..
p.s...clean unesed oil drained out and found scraping marks on the head base..also no carbon on the piston crowns..fresh re-build before the fire/abandonment????

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Dec 2008 21:32 #255613 by trianglelaguna
so i got some time on the 73 z-1 motor tonight...the block finally came up and off,,,,i ended up using two strips of african hardwood about 3/4 each and sent em between the block and cases in the center..the then kept tapping wedges between em...ruined the fins on the block(trash i guess???)broke a skirt on 1 piston and left dimples on the other tops(banging)are these items all trash/recycle bin canidates...block ,sleeves,pistons ,wrist pins,anyone got any ideas or do you just toss em....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Dec 2008 21:43 #255615 by trianglelaguna
[img

so heres where i'm at with the motor on my bench and the 1000j on the right waiting .......next a not fuzzy picture

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 May 2009 08:20 #289358 by trianglelaguna
well after all the advice and getting the motor back toghether i finaly got around to finishing swapping motors yesterday and got it cranking over really well... no go......got spark, cams installed correct,dyna s ignition set close enough to fire up....did not do a compression test....i pulled it back out and am gonna find out why no go......probably take it back down to the pistons and re-do with a better full set ring job and verify that i have everything correct(i shortcuted and reused a c-lip) never measuerd the bore clearances, i will be doing the valves and valve seals.. redoing valve seats....port and polish farmed out to wherever i get a lead from you guys....and try again...i think it should've started ...even rough it should of fired....only backfired a little puff of smoke throught the left carb...nothing..... had the older motors broken stud repair done so i put the older motor back in and gonna tear this'n down again....live and learn i guess.........@#@#$

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
09 May 2009 14:39 #289424 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic motor sitting for 9 years
Save yourself some head scratching. Test the motor for compression at least, and leak down if u can, BEFORE u take it apart.
U need to know if the issue was rings , valves , timming , fuel, ignition. test for what u can before the tare down.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 May 2009 15:41 #289433 by trianglelaguna
o.k i will.....i wanna get a comp tester and do a search on leak down and comp test...can i test it with kickstarter revolution or two????....i tried to just put a clean used piston kit and thought it would be o.k with a basic understandiing of what to do...guess i shoulda been more precise somewhere...i will check it it is all together and sitting on pallet so i'll take your tip thanks....just wanted to ride and threw the older motor back in....peace craig.....in kicking it it felt umpffy...and sounded/felt like a normal kz900 resistance.....i know real iffy skills here:laugh:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
09 May 2009 15:55 #289438 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic motor sitting for 9 years
craig,
good luck man and keep us posted.....keith