need help

More
25 Nov 2008 14:02 #249316 by quader98
need help was created by quader98
im starting this one cause my last one got messed up :(

i've almost have everything to put the pan back on and install the new clutch plates but im still not sure about the timesert.i dont know which one i need.the drain bolt that came out of the pan had a 17mm head so does the mean a 18mm timesert?

Ernie from central jersey
82 GPZ 750 R1
looking to part out my 81 KZ750E2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2008 14:19 #249317 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic need help
You need to measure the diameter of the bolt itself not the head where the wrench goes. A dial caliper or a digital one will work for the measurement.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
25 Nov 2008 14:50 #249323 by quader98
Replied by quader98 on topic need help
ok,across the threads it's 11.63

82 GPZ 750 R1

More
25 Nov 2008 19:32 #249359 by shighley
Replied by shighley on topic need help
quader98; Threads can sometimes fool you. You said the threadform measured 11.63 across the crests. Chances are that it is actually a M12 thread. The reason it measures small is that the O.D. is machined small. It is extremely rare to find a "full form" thread, meaning sharp major and minor diameters. The form is truncated (rounded off) because the male and female need running clearance. If you want to verify the form (Major Diameter and Pitch), take the plug to a hardware store and try the fit in hex nuts until you find it. The box or bin will be labeled for size. You can then order the correct TimeSert. Be aware that the TimeSert needs to be the same length or slightly shorter than the thickness of the casting wall. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Ride safe, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!

More
26 Nov 2008 05:40 #249399 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic need help
You could cut new threads in the pan and take it to the hardware store and find the right size. But a big tap that big might be a little spendy.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
26 Nov 2008 06:20 #249406 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic need help
The pan drain is M12. I think the pitch is probably 1.25 but I personally would measure it. Since the thread in the pan seems to be buggered, you might want to take the drain bolt to a auto parts store and just purchase a pan bolt repair kit. They should have one for that size and it will include the tap, insert and install tool. I know others that have done this. You could also buy a larger drain plug bolt and buy a tap for the new bolt.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
29 Nov 2008 06:05 #249901 by quader98
thanks for the help,NOBODY around here has those repair kits,was gonna try one of those rubber repair plugs but thought to myself i have the pan off already...do it the right way.i went to the napa and they sold me a plug within a plug,just drill tap and screw in,never have to remove the bolt on the pan to drain the oil...thanks again

82 GPZ 750 R1

More
29 Nov 2008 06:24 #249905 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic need help
quader98 wrote:

thanks for the help,NOBODY around here has those repair kits,was gonna try one of those rubber repair plugs but thought to myself i have the pan off already...do it the right way.i went to the napa and they sold me a plug within a plug,just drill tap and screw in,never have to remove the bolt on the pan to drain the oil...thanks again

If the NAPA replacement is a rubber plug inside a larger metal plug, am wondering what holds the rubber plug in place, and if there's any safeguard to prevent the rubber plug from falling out? :unsure:

Would hate to hear a future horror story about this. :ohmy:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Nov 2008 12:13 #249939 by quader98
no it's a bolt with a hole all the way through it and a plug threaded into it

82 GPZ 750 R1