oring and base gasket question

More
12 Nov 2008 14:58 #247094 by keith1
oring and base gasket question was created by keith1
i ordered the vesrah top end gasket kit and i dont remember seeing two of them before...they are small rubber orings, one black and one green and are roughly the same diameter of the valve oil seals..no pic as camera was dead again! where do these go? and when i put jugs on , just lay down the base gasket dry?....i know i have to put sealer around
the four rear studs i replaced, but i m not sure about base gasket.....does it need anything? thanks..
keith......will try to post up pic soon to help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2008 15:08 #247095 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic oring and base gasket question
keith1 wrote:

i ordered the vesrah top end gasket kit and i dont remember seeing two of them before...they are small rubber orings, one black and one green and are roughly the same diameter of the valve oil seals..no pic as camera was dead again! where do these go? and when i put jugs on , just lay down the base gasket dry?....i know i have to put sealer around
the four rear studs i replaced, but i m not sure about base gasket.....does it need anything? thanks..
keith......will try to post up pic soon to help

Attachments:

More
12 Nov 2008 15:30 #247096 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic oring and base gasket question
keith1 wrote:

i ordered the vesrah top end gasket kit and i dont remember seeing two of them before...they are small rubber orings, one black and one green and are roughly the same diameter of the valve oil seals..

On mine, that sounds like the seals between the crankcase and cylinder where the oil passages go upward.

keith1 wrote:

and when i put jugs on , just lay down the base gasket dry?

My base gasket came from the factory with a very strong sealer on it like yamaha 3-bond or similar. I used it when I rebuilt mine since that gasket will never be taken off again for a VERY long time. Don't forget the large O rings that go inside around the bottom of the cylinder tubes.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Nov 2008 15:42 #247100 by keith1
would i be wrong to just use the base gasket dry?
i have the 4 jug orings ( in pic)....so those two small ones go between bottom case and jugs?....thanks

More
12 Nov 2008 15:58 #247101 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic oring and base gasket question
I've only done 3 base gaskets, one KZ650, one KZ1000, one GPZ1100. All 3 I did dry. Did 130,000 miles ofter that on the 650, 40000 on the thousand. Only a few hundred miles on the GPZ1100 because it could not run on pump premium with my mistake at higher than stock compression pistons. Never a problem here with the base gaskets dry at all.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
12 Nov 2008 16:17 #247104 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic oring and base gasket question
Possibly the tach seals?

I've never used the vesrah top end gasket kit but I did have a similar o-ring seal dilema in the upper and lower complete gasket/seal kit I recevied where it turned out to be for the tach...

Just a thought,

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
12 Nov 2008 16:19 #247105 by keith1
thanks....base gasket question squared away...just want to sure where orings go....i dont want to take it apart again !!..thanks again

More
12 Nov 2008 16:23 #247107 by keith1
Old Man Rock wrote:

Possibly the tach seals?

I've never used the vesrah top end gasket kit but I did have a similar o-ring seal dilema in the upper and lower complete gasket/seal kit I recevied where it turned out to be for the tach...

Just a thought,

OMR

nope, i m familiar with the tach drive and its orings as mine was shot when i got the bike...thanks though......maybe they go on certain
application and mine doesnt need them....i have to find out though....i only want to do this once..keith

More
12 Nov 2008 16:25 #247108 by keith1
keith1 wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

Possibly the tach seals?

Just a thought,

OMR

nope, i m familiar with the tach drive and its orings as mine was shot when i got the bike...thanks though......maybe they go on certain
application and mine doesnt need them....i have to find out though....i only want to do this once..keith

ya know what...you might be right...i was thinking of the fat one that goes inside...i m gonna go look right now

More
12 Nov 2008 16:43 #247109 by keith1
keith1 wrote:

keith1 wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

Possibly the tach seals?

Just a thought,

OMR

ya know what...you might be right...i was thinking of the fat one that goes inside...i m gonna go look right now

yup it looks like the one that goes around the outside of the tach drive...but i dont know why there are two the same,as the other one should be the fat one that goes inside....maybe first day for new guy in packing dept....thanks....

More
12 Nov 2008 16:46 #247110 by keith1
i just checked the z1 site and i dont see them in pic or as items listed.....

More
12 Nov 2008 17:50 #247121 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic oring and base gasket question
Perhaps irrevelant to the application at hand, but am thinking some of the tach drive units have two o-rings, and others have only a single o-ring.

Here's a page from Z1E.

tach drive o-rings

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD