Conversion to propane?

More
04 Nov 2008 09:14 #245519 by Bicycle Lee
Conversion to propane? was created by Bicycle Lee
I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen this done to a KZ or any other bike for that matter?

1978 KZ1000 police

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2008 09:22 #245522 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Conversion to propane?
where are you going to carry the tank?

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
04 Nov 2008 09:36 #245524 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Conversion to propane?
Almost anything is possible given the time and money. A propane conversion will need the tank,pressure regulator,and modified carbs to function. I'm not sure of the energy difference between gasoline and propane and your need to fill up versus going to the gas pump.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Nov 2008 10:49 #245543 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Conversion to propane?
i think there is a name for a bike hauling around a propane tank,its called a kamikazee!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
04 Nov 2008 12:27 #245562 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Conversion to propane?
You sit there with four gallons of gasoline between your legs over a hot engine and hot coils connected to a battery and complain about propane? Bwhwhwhwa... Hey, how about methane? I got this idea that involves Mexican food, a hose... ah never mind.

As far as propane goes, can't you look up public busses or school busses that use it?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
04 Nov 2008 12:35 #245564 by 77_650B1
Replied by 77_650B1 on topic Conversion to propane?
Propane would require fuel injection, and to find LNG or CNG (liquid or compressed natural gas) injectors that you can fit into your TB's. Other than that, a prop tank and a reg is the only difference from running a regular fuel injected bike, except you dont need a fuel pump and tuning might be a bit tricky.

Check back with me next summer, me and a friend may be trying to convert my CB400 to run on hydrogen over the winter as part of our final project in our engineering degree. We'll be using direct injection, should be fun. If I make her run on hydrogen, I'll be riding her every day, for the cost of water and a little electricity. We plan on developing a household H2 filling station as well, so you can fill a motorcycle or small car overnight.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
04 Nov 2008 17:01 #245599 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Conversion to propane?
77_650B1 wrote:

... me and a friend may be trying to convert my CB400 to run on hydrogen over the winter as part of our final project in our engineering degree. We'll be using direct injection, should be fun. If I make her run on hydrogen, I'll be riding her every day, for the cost of water and a little electricity. We plan on developing a household H2 filling station as well, so you can fill a motorcycle or small car overnight.

Did you see the mythbusters where they just directed a jet of H2 into a standard carb car, and it ran...until it backfired and caught on fire:laugh:

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
04 Nov 2008 17:12 #245601 by 77_650B1
Replied by 77_650B1 on topic Conversion to propane?
That was hilarious. I think that actual injectors may be your best bet on that one. :laugh:

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
04 Nov 2008 19:45 #245642 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Conversion to propane?
wiredgeorge wrote:

You sit there with four gallons of gasoline between your legs over a hot engine and hot coils connected to a battery and complain about propane? Bwhwhwhwa... Hey, how about methane? I got this idea that involves Mexican food, a hose... ah never mind.

As far as propane goes, can't you look up public busses or school busses that use it?

knock the top off a propane tank and see what happens!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
04 Nov 2008 20:08 #245643 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Conversion to propane?
Every cab in South Korea is now propane, many of the delivery trucks are as well. It's a very clever way to keep the prices of each energy source in check.

You can fill up with gasoline, Propane, or Diesel most everywhere. When gasoline was going crazy many folks just had their cars converted to propane, takes about 2 days turn around and the fuel was alot cheaper....

I think that if you are in a crash that ruptures your fuel tank you are in for a world of hurt no matter what fuel you use....

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
05 Nov 2008 09:13 #245701 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Conversion to propane?
You should contact Hank Hill. He is the expert in propane and propane accessories.

More
05 Nov 2008 12:18 - 04 Dec 2008 09:41 #245729 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 09:41 by JMKZHI.