Why is there a hole in the #1 piston?

More
05 Oct 2008 13:11 #240261 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Why is there a hole in the #1 piston?
WTH?!!!!:ohmy:

Apparently,at some point,that engine/bike/owner pissed in someone's cornflakes???????
That's messed up!:huh:
What a waste.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2008 13:17 #240262 by RollingStock
Replied by RollingStock on topic Why is there a hole in the #1 piston?
i have 2 1015 jugs and one z1 900 jugs with pistons.

let me know

73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

More
06 Oct 2008 02:51 #240337 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Why is there a hole in the #1 piston?
That is just a speed hole. I think he was trying to drop some weight from the bike :laugh:

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
06 Oct 2008 05:01 #240342 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Why is there a hole in the #1 piston?
Outside of sabotage, I've never come across something like that in a cylinder let alone the piston as well...

The cylinder hole can be filled (welded) rather easily I would think. A good machinist/welder should be able to fix that with no real problems. Or as mentioned new sleeves, as well then good to go...

Same time, pick yourself up another cylinder if going to all this costs (sleeves, welding etc...).

For the piston, the hole being below the ring line shouldn't really hurt the operation of the piston. You may see a little compression difference in comparison with the other three pistons so really all depends on what your comfortable with and if you're racing this bike or something of the sort.

As mentioned, did the crank rod get dicked up as well?

Why do people do such things to suck a beautiful old girl... Should put a hole in the asswipe that did that...

Sorry for your situation...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
06 Oct 2008 07:08 #240368 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Why is there a hole in the #1 piston?
Years back, if the bike was a total and the insurance co, would "destory" the motor/ bike from being used again.
I had a friend who worked at a salvage yard, he stopped buying bikes for salvage due to this problem, makes them worthless.
I dont think they have done this in years since they get so much for salvage now

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
06 Oct 2008 22:47 #240533 by jonnybiker
Replied by jonnybiker on topic Why is there a hole in the #1 piston?
You really have to think about where the shavings went when they drilled the holes. that stuff in a crank or rod bearing will score them badly without even firing the motor. Just kicking it over can kill a contaminated bearing.My opinion the bottom end is way suspect, at the very least disasemble flush very very well and check condition of all bearings. I wouldnt have a problem running the block with a new sleeve, Piston on the otherhand could decide to crack or break off where hole was drilled. I would perhaps look for a nice used piston and hone new sleeve to fit. new rings of coarse. I guess thoose are my thoughts on this.......Allthough...If i had a decent top end kit i would just use it and set this stuff on the spares bench. Take care. jonnybiker

More
07 Oct 2008 07:38 #240574 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic Why is there a hole in the #1 piston?
tweeker bike !!!

tweek tweek tweek gimme a drill!!

maybe a harley mechanic did it lol
Attachments:

More
07 Oct 2008 19:01 #240682 by Gman
Replied by Gman on topic Why is there a hole in the #1 piston?
Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone. This is just a spare motor that I got with a parts bike. I don't need more parts right now, I'll just use my 1015 cylinder and pistons that came with my Z1 project. If I decide to use this spare motor later on, I'll definitely drop the oil pan and make sure everything looks ok.

1978 KZ1000
1965 Harly Electra Glide
2002 Gold Wing
1974 Z1 900 project

More
08 Oct 2008 06:11 #240755 by shighley
Replied by shighley on topic Why is there a hole in the #1 piston?
"tweeker bike !!!" "maybe a harley mechanic did it lol"
I'm dying laughing right now. Maybe they were one and the same person? Maybe they tag-teamed the poor bastard!

I remember reading something about some "outlaw" types that were trying to kill a "jap' bike at one of their gatherings. If memory serves, it was an old KZ650. First they got it started and tried to blow the rods out of it by holding it at WOT. Didn't work and they got bored waiting! Then they drained the oil and tried again. Same result. Now they were pissed. They finally committed murder after hoisting the poor thing up in a tree and shooting it to death. Damn Jap Crap! I wonder how many of those guys eventually sold their "outlaw" rides and got some of that reliable jap crap? Ride safe, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!