rusty cylinders

More
07 Nov 2008 20:52 #246197 by zeiss150
Replied by zeiss150 on topic rusty cylinders
Hey guys Up date! I found a guy in my area that will bore and hone my jugs for $40 a hole. But before I do that I had one last thing I wanted to try.

I noticed the last time I ran the bike when I shut if off fuel was poring out of the back of the carbs... which means the float bowl needles and seats are NOT working... Right?

And if that is the case wont extra fuel pore into the engine and make it smoke?

I was thinking I would fix that problem and start it up before I tear the engine down and spend hundreds of dollars on getting my jugs done.

What do you guys think?

Thanks, Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2008 20:59 #246199 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic rusty cylinders
get the carbs sorted and put a few miles on motor before condemming it.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Nov 2008 21:42 #246204 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic rusty cylinders
zeiss150 wrote:

... I noticed the last time I ran the bike when I shut if off fuel was poring out of the back of the carbs... which means the float bowl needles and seats are NOT working... Right?

And if that is the case wont extra fuel pore into the engine and make it smoke?

I was thinking I would fix that problem and start it up before I tear the engine down and spend hundreds of dollars on getting my jugs done.

What do you guys think?

Thanks, Matt

I think it may also mean failure of at least one floatbowl overflow whereby excess fuel is getting into the crankcase and contaminating/thinning the oil, which causes smoking and ultimate engine disintegration.

Would sniff-test the crankcase oil, and change both oil and filter, and clear the floatbowl overflow circuits, all before again cranking the engine.

Sometimes the floatbowl drain tube can get kinked or blocked even when the overflow passages inside the carb is clear.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Nov 2008 01:39 - 08 Nov 2008 01:40 #246215 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic rusty cylinders
do a leak-down test that will tell if your loosing it past rings or out the valves iwould be and a proper valve job is cutting the seats not lapping them all you have done is make the seats wider. you can buy leak down testers pretty cheap now days. a leak down test is much more accurate than a compression test.it will tell you the condition of the entire top end not just wether you have compression or not.any time there is rust in the cylinders it would make me nervous.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE
Last edit: 08 Nov 2008 01:40 by timebomb33.

More
08 Nov 2008 17:28 - 08 Nov 2008 17:37 #246382 by gane
Replied by gane on topic rusty cylinders
Z, Idle thought.if bike was processing oil before you freshened it up, there's a possibility that the exhaust is wet w/ old oil and is burning it off w/ hot exhaust. I,ve seen cases where even low milage crashes (left prone)oil saturated headers and smoked for as long as 20 min. before clearing. you might try a couple heat cycles before going back in G. PS, a fair rule of thumb for exhaust smoke... white smoke, coolant (not applicible here) grey smoke, oil, black smoke fuel.hope this helps.G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1
Last edit: 08 Nov 2008 17:37 by gane.