rusty cylinders

More
30 Sep 2008 21:30 #239584 by zeiss150
rusty cylinders was created by zeiss150
Hi fellow bikers, My question is ...

If my cylinders (2 out of the 4) on my 78 KZ650 had a tiny bit of rust on them that was deeper than the rest of the bore, say about .oo1 of an inch deeper would that cause my bike to smoke like a freight train? Keep in mind that I did a valve job (lapped the valves and put new valve stem seals)and it seemed to be as tight as a drum. I also put new rings on it. heres a tip, it smoked with the old rings and it smoked the same after the new rings. I honed the cylinder between ring jobs and there was a bit of rust that the hone couldn't get out, but I put it back together any way :pinch:. So is that why its smoking? I'm voting yes! Any thoughts?

Thanks, Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2008 21:59 #239585 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic rusty cylinders
Sounds likely. It might be smoking because the new rings have not seated yet. You didn't bore it which means the bores are not perfectly round and the new rings will have to cut the bores to their liking (if they can) before you get a tight seal.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 Sep 2008 22:13 #239587 by zeiss150
Replied by zeiss150 on topic rusty cylinders
I thought about that but I've rebuilt 5 engines (3 motor cycles) and none of them ever smoked after rebuild, new bore or old.

Matt-

More
01 Oct 2008 04:39 #239594 by steell
Replied by steell on topic rusty cylinders
You don't give the location of the rust pits relative to ring travel so it's difficult to say for sure.

If these pits are in the center of the cylinder vertically, so that the rings travel from above the pits to below the pits, then it's certainly possible (and likely) that the pits are trapping oil then exposing it to combustion heat causing it to smoke.

KD9JUR

More
01 Oct 2008 04:39 #239595 by saltydog
Replied by saltydog on topic rusty cylinders
I remember one MGB engine that I built and it smoked like crazy. Turned out to be a hole in the vacumn operated pcv valve diaphragm. It was sucking oil straight from the crankcase.

1981 KZ1000 CSR, 1982 KZ440 ltd, 1972 Honda ct90, 1978 KZ 650

More
01 Oct 2008 05:46 #239611 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic rusty cylinders
a quick check would be a compression check, also did you check the spark may be a weak.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
01 Oct 2008 07:37 #239623 by zeiss150
yes the rust does travel vertically through out the path of the rings. I think my spark is fine, but I have no proof of that, The PCV is that hole on the rear top part of the engine case, right? I have tried plugging that hole and I also let it breath (opened it) it smoked either way?

the good news is that I got a set of jugs from ebay yesterday so I think I will bore it out (because I have .5mm over pistons)and then I'll be able to start fresh. Any objections?

Thank, Matt-

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
02 Oct 2008 07:31 #239795 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic rusty cylinders

If these pits are in the center of the cylinder vertically, so that the rings travel from above the pits to below the pits, then it's certainly possible (and likely) that the pits are trapping oil then exposing it to combustion heat causing it to smoke.

Thank you for that, steell. It's 4 stroke stuff like this that I never think about. 2 stroke stuff I live and breathe, but 4 stroke stuff....well, let's say I just need more experience on overhauls....and hopefully it won't be MY stuff needing the overhaul.:laugh: :laugh:

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
09 Oct 2008 21:14 #241042 by zeiss150
Hey, UPDATE! I got my replacement jugs from "ebay" so now I have to get them bored over .5 mm (20thou). How much should I expect to pay for a bore job. I got a price off about $200 from my local machine shop but they don't usually do motorcycle jugs. Any advice?

Matt-

More
09 Oct 2008 23:20 #241049 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic rusty cylinders
zeiss150 wrote:

Hey, UPDATE! I got my replacement jugs from "ebay" so now I have to get them bored over .5 mm (20thou). How much should I expect to pay for a bore job. I got a price off about $200 from my local machine shop but they don't usually do motorcycle jugs. Any advice?

Matt-

I would send them to someone who knows bike motors. I'm sure the local guys can do it but I like the piece of mind getting machine work done by someone I know is qualified and has experience.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
09 Oct 2008 23:36 #241053 by bountyhunter
zeiss150 wrote:

Matt-

I think it was $75 per hole at the machine shop here.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Oct 2008 23:38 #241054 by bountyhunter
donthekawguy wrote:

zeiss150 wrote:

Matt-

I would send them to someone who knows bike motors. I'm sure the local guys can do it but I like the piece of mind getting machine work done by someone I know is qualified and has experience.

I went to the dealer where I got my bike and started shooting the bull with a couple of their mechanics and found out the name of the machine shop they send their heads and cylinders out to. best in the area, you might get similar results.

1979 KZ-750 Twin