Replace Smog valve cover with Non-smog - concerns

More
23 Sep 2008 20:11 #238396 by steell
He's in the UK,
Using a UK Spec cover,
And it's a 750 four.

I think he'll be all right.

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2008 02:41 #238423 by MekonFear
Replied by MekonFear on topic Replace Smog valve cover with Non-smog - concer
Kawsakiman - thanks for the diagrams and your help.
After checking mine last night the emission ports are obviously blocked by the valve cover. As Steell said, its a 750/4 1983 model - maybe the 'UK' covers are all made to block the ports by default - it's handy if so as when it was put on it wasn't something I considered.:blush:
I tried to take close-ups to post but as It was low-light the flash on my camera obliterated everything!

All seems good anyway, thanks for all the contributions

Ben

More
24 Sep 2008 05:51 #238440 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Replace Smog valve cover with Non-smog - concer
Ben, After seeing the two valve covers that kawasakiman posted, it is clear that the cylinder heads are likely the same for all models but the valve covers vary to cover the exhaust runners where they are not required because of the use of an emissions system.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
25 Sep 2008 03:43 #238569 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Replace Smog valve cover with Non-smog - concer
Just fire the bike nup in the dark. If the holes are not covered you will have a nice blue flame. ;) Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
25 Sep 2008 06:50 #238592 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Replace Smog valve cover with Non-smog - concer
It is easier to see the flames if you lift the tank up a couple inches while running. The flames will come up and clean off any grit and grime on the bottom of the tank as an added benefit! Great idea Roy!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Sep 2008 09:09 #238761 by Zthou1977
Replied by Zthou1977 on topic Replace Smog valve cover with Non-smog - concer
Ben,
Debben sells blanking-off plates for those valve covers. As it gives the same result as replacing the valve cover with a non-US cover, you will be perfectly alright. Besides, on my KZ1000 Police I had the same anti-smog installation, and just connected both of the with a length of hose. No problem.
Jeroen

1977 Z1000A1, 1982-1986 KZ1000P (built from two piles of parts), Moto Martin Z1200 (trying to get it registered), 1977 Z650B1
Utrecht, The Netherlands

More
28 Feb 2010 11:15 #350583 by pburnhamb
Replied by pburnhamb on topic Replace Smog valve cover with Non-smog - concer
If you just connect the two with a hose, wont the exhaust passing from side to side affect the valves? I have been running my bike like this but am wondering if it is doing dammage. the two covers on the top of the valve cover are filled with soot and carbon. I probably have to block off the 4 holes and not just connect the two (one on each side of valve cover) with a hose. When the exhaust vales let exhaust out, come of that exhaust tries to go to the other side through the hose. I know there are reed valves to only let air move one way, but some of the exhaust gas will get by over time because they werent meant to have pressuer pushing both ways.....right......?????
thanks
-patrick-

1978 kz650b (810, 750 head)
1976 kz900
1977 xs650

More
28 Feb 2010 19:34 #350649 by pburnhamb
Kawsakiman - thanks for the diagrams and your help.
After checking mine last night the emission ports are obviously blocked by the valve cover. As Steell said, its a 750/4 1983 model - maybe the 'UK' covers are all made to block the ports by default - it's handy if so as when it was put on it wasn't something I considered.
I tried to take close-ups to post but as It was low-light the flash on my camera obliterated everything!

All seems good anyway, thanks for all the contributions

Ben Please note: Although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.

Report to moderator

What i meant.....after im home from the PUB.,.......... the 4 holes (extra holes) from the head to the valve cover are flowing exhaust gas....that gas should flow out the exhaust, not over to the other exhaust valvesand out from there....

1978 kz650b (810, 750 head)
1976 kz900
1977 xs650

More
28 Feb 2010 20:03 #350654 by Tyler
I plugged the holes in my head and used a '78 valve cover. Just ran a tap in the holes for set screw but you could use pipe plugs. I would use a method like this to plug the passages.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments: