what to do??

More
07 Sep 2008 20:53 #236061 by jim_palmore
what to do?? was created by jim_palmore
well my bike is leaking oil from the front so I think its a head gasket. the problem is that it was my primary transportation so now I have to fix my pickup so it will smog.
I don't have the funds for both.and the way the economy is going I will be laidoff this winter so saving it and rebuilding it this winter is not an option. no funds and I will probibly have to go out of state to get a job (I drive truck and local work is real slow in the winter so I will go "over the road")
I'm tempted to part it out online but don't want to be stuck with a carcas that has parts that are un-needed.
I'm in the bike over 2k. its been an expensive education. I have it on craigslist but haven't gotten and bites.I don't know what to do..

ENJOY LIFE,, THIS IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL.
1991 KZ1000P FROM COPPER TO CHOPPER. MY BADASS BOBBER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2008 21:11 #236066 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic what to do??
clean the motor up really good first before condemming it.if it still runs good it could just be a valve cover gasket or tach drive,if all else fails try retorquing the head B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Sep 2008 21:26 #236073 by jim_palmore
Replied by jim_palmore on topic what to do??
I forgot to mention that there is oil in the right side pipes

More
07 Sep 2008 21:31 #236074 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic what to do??
could be leaking down from valve cover and working its way around exhuast flange,run compression test on it if your convinced its a head gasket.i start with simple stuff 1st though ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Sep 2008 20:34 #236255 by jim_palmore
you think it could be the rings. thats the suggestion I got from a co worker.
got a quote of 1000 - 1200 to rebuild the motor.
what if I bought a set of 1075 jugs and pistons, did a valve job have wiredgeorge do the carbs. simple plan..
do able????

More
08 Sep 2008 20:42 #236257 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic what to do??
a upper half gasket set can be had for under $100.
clean it like plummen suggested and find the leak first before you make any rash decisions like parting her out.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
09 Sep 2008 04:37 #236289 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic what to do??
Whoa! Slow down a minute, Jim. You're halfway to the moon and haven't even fueled the rocket yet! :D

Identify the source of the leak. With oil a small leak--barely a pin hole--can create quite a mess. Take some pics and share them with the folks here.

Do a compression test as suggested. What do the spark plugs look like.

I think I'll move this to the Engine forum where the technically inclined folk will see it.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
09 Sep 2008 05:47 #236294 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic what to do??
I have to agree with everyone here on this Jim where notch it down for if you have no funds, rebuilding the motor, pistons, bore, valve job, carb rebuild for an oil leak isn't a cheap option.

For all this work, probably add another $1500 plus (piston kit alone is $500 then add $80 bore/hone per cylinder hole, pending your heads condition valve parts $270 plus labor $250, carb re-build $300 at which point it becomes harder to sell unless in immaculate condition for you now have $4k invested.

Sure, it would run real nice and most of us are doing just that but not our main transport and we are spending the cash.... This crap ain't cheap, expensive hobby.

Some questions to ask yourself and in troubleshooting your problem.

Find the source of the leak... If blown or worn gasket/s, then replace top/lower/valve gaskets as Steve mentioned. Hell, I purchased my bike (every friggin gasket on the bike) complete gasket set for $80...

Was the bike blowing smoke prior to the oil leak?

Where you hearing a pinging sound such as broken rings prior to the oil leak?

Did you have good acceleration prior to the oil leak?

What do the spark plugs look like, burnt, oily, melted etc...?

As Nate mentioned, what's the compression testing inform you?

Are your cylinder/head bolts tightened to spec?
And tightened in correct order...

As Plummen replied, is the exhaust bolts tightened to spec?

All in all, with some troubleshooting, 1 days time and some gaskets, you can most probably fix your leak for under $100...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
09 Sep 2008 07:50 #236316 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic what to do??
49.68 from Z1E

More
09 Sep 2008 20:06 #236441 by jim_palmore
my main thing is that I know I will get layed off this winter and possibly not be called back (down sizing) . I don't wanna get into a project and not have the money to fix it nor the time.
like I said earlier I drive truck so there is a good chance that I will have to go drive coast to coast. got 1.65 million miles of doing that for 15 years and its a hard place in the winter. ya can't stop because you get paid by the mile and 2 weeks of 35mph because of snow and ice sucks.. but enough boo hoo..
then as stated there is a point where ya gotta put the fork in and call it done. I'm in this free bike over 2k. I would love to be able to put 1500 in it and have the bike I want to ride for years to come. the best I can do now is try all the suggestions that have been submitted and hope to make it so I can sell it. I will be building another kz. this has been a really sweet bike and since I hate to be part of the herd , I will be sticking to kz's an be unique. will keep all advised of the outcome..
I do want to thank everyone for their advice. this is why I like this forum so much. good people helping each other out :) :)

More
09 Sep 2008 21:54 #236457 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic what to do??
jim_palmore wrote:

I forgot to mention that there is oil in the right side pipes

That's where a leaky tach drive dumps the oil.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Sep 2008 21:58 #236458 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic what to do??
jim_palmore wrote:

you think it could be the rings. thats the suggestion I got from a co worker.

Unless the bike has 50k miles or was abused, I doubt it. Ring wear doesn't cause oil leaks, they reduce compression and cause oil smoke under acceleration. Get a compression gauge and check before making decisions.

jim_palmore wrote:

got a quote of 1000 - 1200 to rebuild the motor.

That's actually a decent price if it includes parts and labor.

jim_palmore wrote:

what if I bought a set of 1075 jugs and pistons, did a valve job have wiredgeorge do the carbs. simple plan..
do able????

Unless there is significant cylinder wear, you might be able to simply do a cylinder hone to deglaze and install new rings. Do a head job and you should be good to go for maybe 40 - 50k more miles.

1979 KZ-750 Twin