Tach leak or oil leak

• Monty Burns79
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Sep 2008 10:45 #235649 by Monty Burns79
Tach leak or oil leak was created by Monty Burns79
I have noticed i have some fluid leaking from my tach cable and where it attaches to the engine. Is it a dry tach, and if so does that mean it is oil from the engine? It seems it is coming from the tubing that fits over the cable, not a huge problem just would like it resolved. Every so often it drips on my front fender.

KZ750K LTD Belt

Thanks guys

1983 KZ750K LTD Belt drive
Dover, NH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2008 12:38 #235661 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Tach leak or oil leak
Go to www.z1enterprises.com and ask about tach drive oil seals. Kawasaki tried to use as many parts as possible through the various bikes as they could to keep costs down.

The oil seals may be the same as used on the KZ's and Z1's and smaller bikes.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
05 Sep 2008 13:29 - 05 Sep 2008 13:49 #235667 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tach leak or oil leak
As MFolks suggested, here's the link to Z1E's tach drive seal (shows KZ750 application among other models)

Z1E's tach seal

According to Kawasaki.com's cross reference, the same part number 92050-075 tach seal is used on numerous models.

When the seal is functioning, it prevents oil escaping from underneath the valve cover through where the shaft on the tach gear spins inside the tach guide. Am uncertain how the KZ750 tach guide fits onto or into the engine, but thinking an o-ring prevents oil from escaping between the tach guide and engine.

On the large fours, no oil should escape through or around the tach guide even when the tach cable is not attached (can see the gear shaft split end spinning around with no oil escaping). Am thinking this would also be applicable to the KZ750.

Some owners employ gaskets or packing to tightly seal the connection where the tach cable attaches to the tach guide at the engine, so any oil escaping from the engine through the tach seal simply runs into and inside the tach cable. This doesn't "fix" the faulty seal, but keeps escaping oil off the engine. But doesn't catch any oil escaping between the tach guide and engine (due to a faulty o-ring).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 05 Sep 2008 13:49 by Patton.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
05 Sep 2008 16:22 #235695 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Tach leak or oil leak
Patton wrote:

....Some owners employ gaskets or packing to tightly seal the connection where the tach cable attaches to the tach guide at the engine, so any oil escaping from the engine through the tach seal simply runs into and inside the tach cable. This doesn't "fix" the faulty seal, but keeps escaping oil off the engine. But doesn't catch any oil escaping between the tach guide and engine (due to a faulty o-ring)...

...*this* owner, too.

I just stick an o-ring (10mm, I think?) inside the hole where the cable screws in, re-attach the cable, and no problem.

B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com