Best Bang for Buck Rebuild?

More
03 Sep 2008 17:38 #235357 by iroc355
Replied by iroc355 on topic Best Bang for Buck Rebuild?
streetability isnt an issue for me, this bike will only see a 1/4 mile its entire life. (bracket racing)

i just want a reliable consistent bike that will run respectable times.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2008 08:45 #235453 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Best Bang for Buck Rebuild?
larrycavan wrote:

The only reason to put a J head on that bike is so you can spend more money on a center idler.....what's that get you?

Stay with your KZ head, put a 1075 kit with drop in cams with those 29's and you'll have a great little street bike.

J heads are pushd on here like they're some magic potion or something. That's pure bullshit unless you're going with bigger carbs and porting. Aske me how I know..

Larry C

my hero!:laugh: build an 1197 following the Larry C bodybuilding plan!B) B) B) B) B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
04 Sep 2008 15:46 #235514 by iroc355
well ive decided i definantly am going to go with the 1075cc.

still havent decided on what to do as far as a head, its beginning to seem that the kz head is just as good if you got to do porting anyways.

so now back to my decision on whether or not to go with 10.5 or 12:1..........

More
04 Sep 2008 16:02 #235517 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Best Bang for Buck Rebuild?
The KZ motor likes compression. A 1075 motor at 12:1 should be able to use the stock starter also. Never done it myself but lots of guys are starting bigger motors with the starter. Only deal is the fuel. The 10.5:1 motor would probably be able to use good pump gas which is LOTS cheaper then race gas. Lower compression would be easier on parts also. Higher compression would give you more torque which basically equates to more HP so.....

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
04 Sep 2008 16:17 #235518 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic Best Bang for Buck Rebuild?
damnit, Larry!!
Ya know, I NEED to sell this j head before I can send you my head to be fixed... why ya gotta put the kaibash on my deal???!!!!
And to think, I was THIS close to getting this thing sold and my head out to you.
for shame
:P

1978 KZ1000 police

More
04 Sep 2008 16:47 #235521 by iroc355
now i see Lee, ur just trying to pawn your j head off on me huh!!! geez, shoulda known, tryin to take advantage of the new guy!:P

More
04 Sep 2008 18:01 #235542 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic Best Bang for Buck Rebuild?
haha... nah, I mean... I want to get rid of it, but not because it's a lemon. It IS a solid head. There are SEVERAL different schools of thought on here... all of which have good points... not necessarily better or worse, just different. People learn different things from their experience with these old bikes and it leads them to be very adamant about what they know. That's fine. The fact of the matter is, adding this j head with bored out cylinders and oversized pistons IS a solid upgrade to your KZ. NO ONE can say it isn't.
Tastes great or less filling?? Seriously.
the choice is yours, iroc.
You know how to reach me.
I'm going to list the head on ebay, but if you want it let me know. You would NOT be disappointed with the result.

1978 KZ1000 police

More
04 Sep 2008 19:28 #235551 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Best Bang for Buck Rebuild?
racer54 wrote:

The KZ motor likes compression. A 1075 motor at 12:1 should be able to use the stock starter also. Never done it myself but lots of guys are starting bigger motors with the starter. Only deal is the fuel. The 10.5:1 motor would probably be able to use good pump gas which is LOTS cheaper then race gas. Lower compression would be easier on parts also. Higher compression would give you more torque which basically equates to more HP so.....

high compression plays hell on cranks and cylinder studs.the cranking compression is the number you really need to worry about,10:1 and 12:1 are just general numbers.ive run more than one 13:1 1197 with big choppy cams/lots of overlap in streetbikes that started easier than motors with smaller cams :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
24 Oct 2008 06:42 #243509 by zombiescustoms
Replied by zombiescustoms on topic Best Bang for Buck Rebuild?
Before I tore my engine down it was a 1075cc with 12:1 pistons, and it would NOT run on pump gas, it would start with no problem on the stock starter, I was running a stock ported head and I believe stock cams(have not measured them yet) and get this 39mm flat slides, a terrible combo on paper but the bike ran like a raped ape!

Now I bought a $100 J model head, did the cam tower conversion and will do some mild porting, so I will have a 10:1 moter with a better flowing head for thoes huge carbs!

Good luck on you choices, if I were not on such a budget(read, cheap ass) I would big block mine but now I just want something to ride!

1979 KZ1000 drag/street fighter
1015cc stock internals for now, 39 flattys, GSXR frontend, ZX9 rear wheel with 6 over chromoly arm, just a budget beater!