Engine removal?

More
30 Aug 2008 13:09 - 30 Aug 2008 13:10 #234717 by Sail
Engine removal? was created by Sail
The service manual says that I should remove the valve cover to remove the engine from the frame, in looking at the frame spacing ti looks like it may come out without remvoving the cover.
Does anyone know whether it possible to remove the engine without removing the cover?
It is a 78 KZ750 B3.
Thanks for the advice!

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 B3 Twin
Last edit: 30 Aug 2008 13:10 by Sail.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2008 20:20 #234746 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Engine removal?
Hang on, steell is the resident 750 twin guru. He'll chime in for ya... :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
30 Aug 2008 20:24 #234747 by Sail
Replied by Sail on topic Engine removal?
Bluemeanie wrote:

Hang on, steell is the resident 750 twin guru. He'll chime in for ya... :)

Thanks, I have faith!

More
30 Aug 2008 20:31 #234749 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Engine removal?
You "may" be able to remove it from the frame without removing the valve cover, but I seriously doubt it.

That motor is a tight fit in the frame, you have to tilt it to get it out/put it in, and there is only one position that will allow it to slide into the frame. A 650/750 four is a piece of cake compared to the 750 twin.

KD9JUR

More
30 Aug 2008 20:37 #234752 by Sail
Bike is pretty much stripped, motor an swing arm are all that is left.
I planned to un bolt it all , lay it down on the left side and wiggle the frame off but I guess I will pull the cover off!
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

More
31 Aug 2008 18:36 #234870 by Sail
Comes out easily!
Remove all the engine mounts, lay the bike on it's right side, has to be the right as there is one engine mount welded to the left side. Slide the frame down a bit and it comes out nicely.

More
01 Sep 2008 04:58 #234920 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Engine removal?
Sail wrote:

Comes out easily!
Remove all the engine mounts, lay the bike on it's right side, has to be the right as there is one engine mount welded to the left side. Slide the frame down a bit and it comes out nicely.

Was this with the cam/valve cover still on??

I've never installed or removed a motor by laying the frame on it's side, since there are usually two of us here (and we're both pretty big guys), we just pick up the motor out of the bike and put it back in the same way.

KD9JUR

More
01 Sep 2008 06:35 #234937 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Engine removal?
steell wrote:

Sail wrote:

Comes out easily!

Was this with the cam/valve cover still on??

I've never installed or removed a motor by laying the frame on it's side, since there are usually two of us here (and we're both pretty big guys), we just pick up the motor out of the bike and put it back in the same way.

Yeah, Steve, since I pretty much have to work alone, this is the method I used. I used a come-a-long, hooked to the garage rafter, and just lifted the engine right out. Needed to wiggle the frame around a bit to totally free it. Put it back in the same way.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades