• KOOL RYDER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
29 Aug 2008 08:51 #234611 by KOOL RYDER
KZ 650 B2 - Why Me? was created by KOOL RYDER
Anyways,

I have done a bit of work on the bike, I guess it was not all good because yesterday I went for a ride and broke down about 2km's from the house.

The bike has recently had a hole in the exhaust plugged and i replaced the copper ghaskets at the head.

I also adjusted the cam chain using the method that clymer lists.

Symptoms:
The bike seems to be spitting gasses back through the engine through the carbs.

WHen I took the bike for a ride it ran fine at first, but then all of a sudden it just lost power, bogged down and died.

After 3 mins or so , I opened the choke to full and it just barely started. If I gave it gas at all it would die, so I limped it back home in 1st gear with no throtle with wide open choke.

When I made it home, I figured it must be a result of me frigging with the cam chain the other day, so to diagnose the problem, I pulled the points cover and rotated the bolt 2 revolutions again like clymer said, and let out the tensioner and tightened it back up.

Well the bike sounded great, it reved like usual and I jumped on it and went about 500 meters before it died again.

Does anyone know what this sounds like, anway I can fix this or is the engine shot, any suggestions would help.

Untill I frigged with the cam chain tensioner it worked fine. I have now learned if something is not broken dont try to fix it. THe only reason I figured I would tighten it was because of the noise of gasses coming back through the carbs.

How far up S*it creek am I and is there a chance I will make it back to shore?

KRB)

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2008 10:01 - 29 Aug 2008 10:04 #234617 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic KZ 650 B2 - Why Me?
The tensioner may have reached its limits. I know there are threads here that talk about that. Also the tensioner may be hanging up inside and not putting tension on the chain properly. Search here and check your manual, it may be time to clean or replace it.

My guess is the tension on the chain isn't right it throws off the cam timing, and that could cause the spitting back thru the carbs. I'd check it before running the engine anymore.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Last edit: 29 Aug 2008 10:04 by OKC_Kent.

More
29 Aug 2008 12:20 #234635 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic KZ 650 B2 - Why Me?
why not pull the valve cover so you can see what if anything is going on inside, if there is a bunch of slack in the chain, pull the tensioner off and make sure it works right.
also check the valves to make sure they are not tight.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
29 Aug 2008 19:25 #234672 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic KZ 650 B2 - Why Me?
Is there any chance your gas tank isn't venting and it is running out of gas or the petcock is plugged? If it sat for a while and then ran good for a bit that may be the problem and not related to the cam chain at all.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1