• KOOL RYDER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
25 Aug 2008 08:41 - 25 Aug 2008 08:43 #233891 by KOOL RYDER
Help Diagnose a wierd sound? was created by KOOL RYDER
So here is the back story......

I changed the plugs and exhaust ghaskets on my KZ650, all stock aside from a K&N air filter.

I had a large gaping hole behind the cross over pipe in the header so I mended it and reinstalled the exhaust.

After starting it up, I had a large improvement in low end performance, the exhaust note was much deeper and the amount of pressure coming from the tailpipes was a lot higher. (Glad I found that leak, I was wondering why my left foot was so damn hot all of the time.)

So yesterday, I pulled off the points cover and did the 2 turns of the crankshaft, backed out the tensioner, and screwed it back in. THe engine is a lot quieter now, BUT...............HERE IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING....

The bike starts up fine and pulls with a little more vigor, but it makes this "ppph, ppph, ppph" sound from time to time, like in the cowboy movies when he guy spits in the spitoon. Runs fine, gear down "ppph" everynow and then at idle it will "ppph" and leaving the garage it makes the sound .

I thought it was coming from the newly installed exhaust ghaskets, but I think that it coming from the carbs, is that possible. Can it spit hot exhaust back through the carbs, is it too much pressure with the new exhaust ghaskets, or should I get the valves checked?

THe bike runs fine other than this sound, I did a speedo 100mph yesterday, but I hear that it is just 90mph in reality.

Any comments, think the valves need a look?

KRB)

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST
Last edit: 25 Aug 2008 08:43 by KOOL RYDER.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2008 08:57 - 25 Aug 2008 08:59 #233894 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Help Diagnose a wierd sound?
yes look at the valves, you may have one tight. also look for some vacum leaks, around the intake boots

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob
Last edit: 25 Aug 2008 08:59 by BSKZ650.

More
25 Aug 2008 09:10 #233896 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help Diagnose a wierd sound?
Would also double check for any recurrent leakage from the repaired header cross over pipe.

As known, 4 strokes = intake, compression, power, exhaust.

A too tight intake valve (not fully closing when seated) may sometimes allow combustion to spit back through the carb, especially on the power stroke when both valves are supposed to be fully seated and closed.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD