Re-use old rings?

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Aug 2008 04:54 #232849 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Re-use old rings?
Old Man Rock wrote:

Hmmm... Ok, maybe it's just me...But it doesn't seem you have the proper measurement tools on hand, maybe I'm wrong so please excuse if I'm miss understanding.

Example: I don't have the bore caliper to accurately measure the cylinder inside diameter either...

Since you obviously have the top end apart and have your cylinder off, wouldn't it be just as easy to take your cylinder and pistons (w/rings attached) to a motorcycle machinist and have the cylinder measured & confirmed to specifications?

NOTE: Some of these would be hard to answer unless you knew this guy and the bikes history....

Same time, was the compression tested before hand and was it within specifications?

Were you blowing smoke prior to taking this apart?

Pistons charred/carbon/scared?

Lacking power?

Do you know the history of this bike... How old are these pistons and rings if known? I realize "He said 900 miles" but... For only 900 miles, they should almost look fairly new...

Maybe it's time for a new top end upgrade... These are all the questions you need to ask/research.

Ok, I'm done now....

If the bike was running fine before you took it apart then you should be ok. Granted no guarantee's here but if compression was good, now excessive ringing noise (broken ring), they rotate on the piston, they're not burnt to a crisp or show signs of FUBAR then you should be ok.

OMR

wORDS WELL SPOKEN.
If u follow this advice your questions will be gone.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2008 05:41 - 19 Aug 2008 05:42 #232851 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Re-use old rings?
You bring up a good point that I did not address, I was thinking of a deglaze/hone, as opposed to a full hone on the cyl, my thought process was since it was fresh it would need minimal work on the bore.
But I did forget the most important step, check the cyls first for size and the proceed

steell wrote:

BSKZ650 wrote:

I see there are a lot who would re use the rings, my fifty cents,, gas price increase, I would replace the rings and hone the cyls, its not that much money and then you know you should not have any problems with it

You mean you wouldn't even check the bore diameter to make sure honing it again wouldn't push it past the service limit and force you into an over bore?

Every time you hone a bore you make it a little bit larger, not a lot, but it was a used standard bore to begin with, and it's already been honed once.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob
Last edit: 19 Aug 2008 05:42 by BSKZ650.

More
19 Aug 2008 14:56 - 19 Aug 2008 14:58 #232954 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Re-use old rings?
steell wrote:

BSKZ650 wrote:

I see there are a lot who would re use the rings, my fifty cents,, gas price increase, I would replace the rings and hone the cyls, its not that much money and then you know you should not have any problems with it

You mean you wouldn't even check the bore diameter to make sure honing it again wouldn't push it past the service limit and force you into an over bore?

Every time you hone a bore you make it a little bit larger, not a lot, but it was a used standard bore to begin with, and it's already been honed once.

I thought it had been BORED once over and the new pistons and rings were oversize. here is the OP:

The previous owner bored the cylinders, did a head job, and put new aftermarket pistons and rings in- he drove it 900 miles

The cylinders should not need to be measured if the machine shop that bored it was a reputable one.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 19 Aug 2008 14:58 by bountyhunter.

More
19 Aug 2008 21:40 #233030 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Re-use old rings?
Well, I have to be wrong at least once a day, and this is a new day :D

I don't trust anyone's work, I always check, because everyone makes a mistake now and then (I try to keep it to one a day though) :)

KD9JUR