Re-use old rings?

More
17 Aug 2008 06:52 #232453 by jammor
Re-use old rings? was created by jammor
78 KZ750 twin
Should I re-use these rings?
So I bought some oversize pistons with rings, cylinders and head (from the same engine) from a reputable member of kzrider. Everything looks good upon visual inspection. The previous owner bored the cylinders, did a head job, and put new agftermarket pistons and rings in- he drove it 900 miles and disassembled it to part out the bike-- NOT due to any piston/ring/head problems....

Wouldn't it be better (and cheap) to put new rings in? Or is it more important to keep these rings with the cylinders they have been seating in for the last 900 miles? My conventional wisdom tells me brand new is better but I have also heard once rings and cylinders "seat" and run awhile you're better off to leave them working as a set.

Or does it really matter since 900 miles is not that much opportunity for them to wear anyway?

curious...

kz750twin:

1978 kz twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2008 06:56 #232454 by shighley
Replied by shighley on topic Re-use old rings?
Look at the wear pattern on the rings. If they are burnished and look like chrome, they have seated and must be replaced. If they still have the ground finish on part of the surface they might reseat when assembled. It's risky and the only time I did reuse rings they did not seat properly. Probably should get a new set. Sometimes going cheap ends up with more problems. Ride safe, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!

More
17 Aug 2008 08:47 #232460 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Re-use old rings?
Assuming you are installing the pistons and rings in the same cylinders they were removed from, then I wouldn't even think of replacing the rings, since they only have 900 miles on them.

KD9JUR

More
17 Aug 2008 13:25 - 17 Aug 2008 13:27 #232508 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Re-use old rings?
steell wrote:

Assuming you are installing the pistons and rings in the same cylinders they were removed from, then I wouldn't even think of replacing the rings, since they only have 900 miles on them.

I think they should work if they are still on the pistons and you don't change them side to side. Just make sure to align the end gaps properly and you should be in business.

If you want to install new rings just for peace of mind, I can give you a source for new rings for $36 a set.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 17 Aug 2008 13:27 by bountyhunter.

More
17 Aug 2008 14:07 #232517 by jammor
Replied by jammor on topic Re-use old rings?
Ok
I will inspect them for burnish and take your advice

also-- I am not sure what "end gap" is on rings....The pistons and rings will mated with their respective cylinders so assuming I reinstall them I am not sure what end gap is...... pls explain

thanks
jim
750twin 1978

1978 kz twin

More
17 Aug 2008 15:40 - 17 Aug 2008 15:43 #232537 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Re-use old rings?
I don't have a manual in front of me to give you a measurement, but "end gap" is the measurement between the ends of the rings if you slide just the ring down into the cylinder or up through because it is generally easier if there is still a taper on the bottom of the cylinder.
Use the bare piston and rod to push the ring into the cylinder about half way so it will be straight in the bore. Use some oil while doing this, then measure the gap between the ends of the ring with a feeler gauge and compare it to the limits in your manual.
I hope this helps.
Ride safe.

You could also do this at several locations in the cylinder to check for any taper in the bore itself.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2008 15:43 by The Milkman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
17 Aug 2008 19:53 #232579 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Re-use old rings?
Reuse the rings they are still breaking in. they are like new.if u rering u must rehone.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
18 Aug 2008 12:22 #232696 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Re-use old rings?
jammor wrote:

Ok
I will inspect them for burnish and take your advice

also-- I am not sure what "end gap" is on rings.......... pls explain

thanks
jim
750twin 1978

You have to orient the position of the gaps in the rings correctly when you install them: The top and bottom ring gaps must face forward, and the gap on the middle ring must face to the rear.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
18 Aug 2008 12:33 #232702 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Re-use old rings?
I see there are a lot who would re use the rings, my fifty cents,, gas price increase, I would replace the rings and hone the cyls, its not that much money and then you know you should not have any problems with it

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
18 Aug 2008 14:26 #232734 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Re-use old rings?
BSKZ650 wrote:

I see there are a lot who would re use the rings, my fifty cents,, gas price increase, I would replace the rings and hone the cyls, its not that much money and then you know you should not have any problems with it

You mean you wouldn't even check the bore diameter to make sure honing it again wouldn't push it past the service limit and force you into an over bore?

Every time you hone a bore you make it a little bit larger, not a lot, but it was a used standard bore to begin with, and it's already been honed once.

KD9JUR

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
18 Aug 2008 19:12 #232794 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Re-use old rings?
Run them, there should not be any issues.

they only have 900 miles on them! some of the guys on this board have 50,000+ likes on their rings...

Run them.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
18 Aug 2008 19:41 - 18 Aug 2008 19:44 #232800 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Re-use old rings?
Hmmm... Ok, maybe it's just me...But it doesn't seem you have the proper measurement tools on hand, maybe I'm wrong so please excuse if I'm miss understanding.

Example: I don't have the bore caliper to accurately measure the cylinder inside diameter either...

Since you obviously have the top end apart and have your cylinder off, wouldn't it be just as easy to take your cylinder and pistons (w/rings attached) to a motorcycle machinist and have the cylinder measured & confirmed to specifications?

NOTE: Some of these would be hard to answer unless you knew this guy and the bikes history....

Same time, was the compression tested before hand and was it within specifications?

Were you blowing smoke prior to taking this apart?

Pistons charred/carbon/scared?

Lacking power?

Do you know the history of this bike... How old are these pistons and rings if known? I realize "He said 900 miles" but... For only 900 miles, they should almost look fairly new...

Maybe it's time for a new top end upgrade... These are all the questions you need to ask/research.

Ok, I'm done now....

If the bike was running fine before you took it apart then you should be ok. Granted no guarantee's here but if compression was good, now excessive ringing noise (broken ring), they rotate on the piston, they're not burnt to a crisp or show signs of FUBAR then you should be ok.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 18 Aug 2008 19:44 by Old Man Rock.