shifter return spring

• CafeKZRocket
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Aug 2008 21:00 #230595 by CafeKZRocket
shifter return spring was created by CafeKZRocket
Hey,
Been looking for some info. I believe you have talked about this subject in the past, but I couldn't find anything on it. I have a KZ 900 of varying years, (aproximaly 1977) which I recently had to swap the cases out. (cracked on bearing journal) when I got it together it would only shift into first and second, due to the shift lever return spring binding. the original case had a pocket that the spring slid into and the latter case didn't. I do not have any info as to what year the cases are. According to the Kawasaki dealer, most all of the early years use the same spring, but I have heard otherwise.

Thanks,
any information would be helpfull,
CafeKZRocket

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2008 06:39 #230632 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic shifter return spring
Earlier cases used 3 loops on the big shift spring and later KZ1000 cases used 4 loops. If try to use the 4 loop spring on an early case, the shift pawls will be set out a tad too far and they will be slightly bent where they go into the shift drum and engage the pins. I suspect this combo wouldn't shift well at all. I think the two springs have different part numbers but can't swear to it. I tried using a four loop spring in some KZ900 cases and had about the same luck as you before I realized the spring had one more loop.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• CafeKZRocket
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Aug 2008 11:53 #230668 by CafeKZRocket
Replied by CafeKZRocket on topic shifter return spring
I went to Kawasaki's website and searched for the part numbers, i found that for 900's and 1000's they listed one part number, 92083-028 till about 1980 when they started listing several part numbers. The motor # is Z1E 095603 and the frame # is Z1E 509916 showing a date of 76. they used the same output shaft cover till about 1979, when they changed it, would it be possible that i had a 1980 or later transmission and now I have a early transmission with a late output shaft cover? Any way to tell? Just for the record the spring that i am talking about is part 5 in the enclosed picture,

Thanks

• CafeKZRocket
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Aug 2008 11:54 #230669 by CafeKZRocket
Replied by CafeKZRocket on topic shifter return spring
corrected picture
Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2008 06:38 #230818 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic shifter return spring
Dunno but I do know that you need to have the correct spring for the application because the shift pawls which are the things that look like crab pincers in #6 won't contact the pins correctly in the shift drum. Call Saunders at Z1E and he knows the difference and can get you the correct spring if you need one. I remember when I got the wrong one and fumbled for an hour trying to make a bike shift correctly and then noticing the extra loop in the spring, I talked with Jeff about it. Hopefully he will remember although he is a rather old fellow and may forget this kind of stuff... my whining at him should help jog his memory. hehe

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!