Stubborn helicoil

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
30 Jul 2008 18:34 #229247 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Stubborn helicoil
kzwolfsr wrote:

Mark for your question I meant shouldn't the bolt now have a bigger side to screw into the now tapped hole while the other side of the bolt have a smaller diameter to fit into the small holes in the cam cap?

sorry i still dont know what u mean?
after u tap and helicoil the holes they are 6mm's again. then u use studs to pull down the cams with the cap,instaed of using the cam bolts to pull down the cam. By useing the studs u have a lot of thread in the hole so u dont strip the holes.
does your coil incertion tool have a slot in the end for the coils tang to fit into?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2008 22:06 - 30 Jul 2008 22:07 #229285 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Stubborn helicoil
You might consider getting a piece of aluminum plate about 5/16" thick, and drill and tap it with the tap from your set and try to put coils in it and see if it works. At least it is out where you can see what is happening and no risk of screwing the head up.

Jay
Last edit: 30 Jul 2008 22:07 by APE Jay.

More
01 Aug 2008 05:57 #229519 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Stubborn helicoil
I see what you mean now Mark, you meant with the helicoil in it. I thought you meant with just no helicoil and use the re tapped hole with a bigger threaded bolt that will fit. Well now I have to get a refund on the kit since the guy in autozone said it should not have dont that. Wrng tap in box possibly. This sucks! I wish I did that test first Ape Jay

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
01 Aug 2008 08:29 #229543 by mark1122
if the hole is screwed up the next option would be to use a 5/16" helicoil.i believe that would be the next size up. as long as the 5/16" bolt fits through the cam caps dowel .

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
01 Aug 2008 09:08 #229550 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Stubborn helicoil
If you have enough material i would use a diiferent style insert so you can stay with the same size bolt. You only need to make sure you have enough material. The insert in this link uses a standard 10mm tap. Once installed the ID thread is 6mm.

The link is from an industrial supplier called MSC, however, Mcmaster carr has them or check your local industrial supply store

www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PARTPG=IMLMKD&PMPXNO=2144720

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
02 Aug 2008 09:49 #229684 by kzwolfsr
Well I found out that it was all operators mistake. I have been trying to put the coils in with the tab on top instead of the bottom, but it looks like I worn out the threads with the drill on the 2 outer holes I could of only done with the drill. The other 2 on the inside are fine. I read the instructions yesterday. I admit it... I am dumb!

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

More
02 Aug 2008 10:12 #229687 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Stubborn helicoil
No... your not dumb. We've all been there. Could probably start a thread on dumb (I think it HAS been done) mistakes and it would be 2-3 pages long. This is how we learn things, don't feel bad. Now you know how to use a helicoil! :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
02 Aug 2008 13:14 #229712 by mark1122
So are the outer holes screwed?
if so try a 5/16" heli coil into the same size screwed up hole in a piece of scrap .This may work for u. just check to see if the 5/16" bolt will fit through the cam caps dowel.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
02 Aug 2008 13:21 #229715 by mark1122
harm wrote:

If you have enough material i would use a diiferent style insert so you can stay with the same size bolt. You only need to make sure you have enough material. The insert in this link uses a standard 10mm tap. Once installed the ID thread is 6mm.

The link is from an industrial supplier called MSC, however, Mcmaster carr has them or check your local industrial supply store

www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PARTPG=IMLMKD&PMPXNO=2144720

I'm not trying to say u are wrong in any way here.
But i would not try to bore the hole to 10mm. the bolt holes are tooooo close the the valve bucket bore holes, and u are at great risk of pushing the metal out or drilling through and causeing the buckets to bind or worse.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
02 Aug 2008 17:32 #229773 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Stubborn helicoil
mark1122 wrote:

So are the outer holes screwed?
if so try a 5/16" heli coil into the same size screwed up hole in a piece of scrap .This may work for u. just check to see if the 5/16" bolt will fit through the cam caps dowel.

mark1122 wrote:

I'm not trying to say u are wrong in any way here.
But i would not try to bore the hole to 10mm. the bolt holes are tooooo close the the valve bucket bore holes, and u are at great risk of pushing the metal out or drilling through and causing the buckets to bind or worse.

I see what you mean, that is why i said IF there is enough material.:)

However, a 5/16 helicoil uses a "Q" drill(.332) and the insert i listed uses an 8.8mm(.346) so it is almost the same size. The hole would only be about .007 bigger per side plus then a 6mm bolt could still be used.

Mark you are right in saying there may not be enough room to make either of these work so kzwolfsr make sure you have enough material if you try either of these methods.

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
02 Aug 2008 18:43 #229777 by shighley
Replied by shighley on topic Stubborn helicoil
kzwolfsr; You say that you used the correct STI tap for a M6x1.0. You also say that the first threads are buggered in a couple holes. If there are still good threads for most of the hole, you can use a solid thread insert, instead of a wound wire insert. Time Sert makes a great product that I have used a bunch of times. The STI tap sizes are identical for both type systems (I believe they are actually M8x1.0) The Time Sert uses a counterboring tool that makes a shallow step at the beginning of the hole (where the buggered threads are). There are a couple of different lengths of inserts available in the M6x1.0 size. The kit comes with the tap drill, STI tap, C'bore tool and a "form" tap that serves as the installation tool. The insert is locked into the parent material and you won't have to fool with it again. My $0.02 worth. Good luck, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!

More
06 Aug 2008 07:29 #230474 by kzwolfsr
I got them in with a little jb weld, but I might as well try that 5/16 helicoil with bolt, so that nothing happens expectedly or unexpectedly