Suprising what a few minor adjustments will do!

More
28 Jul 2008 15:32 #228764 by Britcheflee
For the longest time now I have been frustrated with my KZ650 - didnt sound good, misfired etc.
So, pulled the side cover off and was running the bike with the cover off - noticed clear difference in gap between points which I thought had been adjusted right before - on one set the gap was very very small - re-adjusted gap.
Then re-set air screws on top of carb as per info here - then, (if all else fails read the manual) I read about the cam chain adjuster....gosh...I had been adjusting it incorrectly all this time....hand turned engine to marks as shown and re-set the cam chain adjuster.....
Well, all this literally transformed the bike!!!!Running much much better and just took a nice 20 mile spin on her - I also found that because I was not struggling with the bike running badly I could concentrate on just riding her and actually must say that for an old bike it handles very well, the gear changes are crisp and clean and it brakes pretty good as well!!! It was quite suprising that I actually got some looks and nods from folk as it is a nice looking classic bike and you dont see many of them on the road around here.

Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2008 16:59 #228782 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Suprising what a few minor adjustments will do!
The KZ God's are pleased....

Amazing what a fine tuned old KZ can do... Good for you!

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
28 Jul 2008 20:46 #228815 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Suprising what a few minor adjustments will do!
I know what you mean on a slighty larger scale. Bike used to be hard to start hot or cold, etc. Bought about $700.00 worth of stuff from Z1 and what a difference! New carb holders, carb kits, Dyna S, etc. Transformed the bike from a grumpy old gal into a sweet ride! A little different from you but same amazing transformation... :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!