Gasket sealer?

More
09 Feb 2006 15:56 #22782 by whatever
Gasket sealer? was created by whatever
I'm finally changing my cam end plugs to stop that oil leak that's been bothering me. I also have a leak at my left engine cover (I guess that's the alternator cover). I was planning on cleaning the surfaces thoroughly and using permatex or some kind of sealer. What do you guys do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2006 16:58 #22800 by Willo46
Replied by Willo46 on topic Gasket sealer?
I'm sure there's many more folks who have done this. I personally like to use 3-Bond gasket sealer for the cam plugs. I have only once removed the alternator cover and I used the Copper coat gasket compound on that. It hasn't leaked yet.

Good luck!

More
10 Feb 2006 01:05 #22880 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Gasket sealer?
Cooper sealer work s great I use that on all gasket surfaces that you can not see. But if you can see the surface I use ultra black sealer. Stay away from any thing that says silicone, like blue rtv.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
10 Feb 2006 05:27 #22893 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Gasket sealer?
I use no gasket sealer unless specifically called for in the FSM. The gasket is the seal. The whole idea is to be able to get the thing apart easily when you have to work on it again.

Exception is temp repair to deteriorated rubber components.

-Duck

More
10 Feb 2006 05:32 #22894 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Gasket sealer?
Great insight Duck! Bwhahahaha How do you get your cam end plugs to stick in the ends of the cylinder head without gasket goop? Sorry... I hate it when I am a wise guy!

I use Permatex copper colored gasket maker for this. It seems to work as well as anything and works better for this purpose than Hondabond HT or Yamabond #4. I think the silicon based goop (resists oil deterioration) is stickier than these case sealer type products. I have been tempted to use epoxy or liquid nitrile rubber but haven't ever done so.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
10 Feb 2006 06:43 #22909 by whatever
Replied by whatever on topic Gasket sealer?
Okay, stupid question (but I'd like to ask you instead of finding out the hard way), what if I don't use any sealer on it, if it leaks will it ruin the gasket?

More
10 Feb 2006 06:56 #22912 by wiredgeorge
The stator cover won't leak if you don't use gasket sealer if that is your question. There isn't much oil getting in under that cover... the leak you have probably isn't the gasket AT ALL. It is more likely coming from around the rubber plug that the wires from the stator pass through. These are generally hard and where any leak occurs. Also, they were generally put in place many years ago with silicon that really just deteriorates especially around the oil and heat. You will have to take the stator cover off to fix the problem. I would install a new rubber piece but that would unsoldering the wires at the stator end. I would also just use new wire as the old ones are probably cracked and brittle.

To do this stuff, you need to unplug the wires up near the fuse box. On most bikes, this will be a big blue plug on a junction box. Then remove the stator cover and take out the 3 bolts holding the stator. Turn the stator over and pop it down on your work bench and the stator will fall out. The rubber plug can then be pried out. Splice new wires in and solder them at both ends. These wires carry the AC that gets turned into DC on your bike that run everything so the condition of these wires is a bit important. You will have to remove your starter to get the wires out as they pass below and under it. There will also be connectors on this harness from the oil idiot light (most bikes) and neutral switch connected at the countershaft sprocket.

I like to use liquid nitrile rubber to seal the new plug. Make sure you put something on the plug to keep it seated and flush as the sealer dries. I have also used Permatex copper gasket goop and Hondabond HT and other stuff but these don't work all that great and leaks can reappear.

You will need a new gasket for the stator cover when you put it back on. Make sure you know what is leaking before getting in there as you will have to find one of the plugs if that is the leak spot.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
10 Feb 2006 08:03 #22924 by Duck
Here ya go WG ;-)

FSM sez, "...applying a liquid gasket (silicone sealant) to the circumference of each rubber plug before installation."

Besides, they are plugs, not gaskets.

There's always the exception. For example if the surface the gasket is supposed to seal is damaged, I will apply some sealant. But only where it's needed. I'm new to bikes but have been working on cars for a LONG time.

-Duck

More
10 Feb 2006 11:07 #22949 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic Gasket sealer?
WG I've read a couple great posts from you today, you are definately "on" your game today. You need to write a book on KZ's sometime...

on gaskets:

I reassembled everything from the base gasket upwards on my 1100 with only grease to hold the gaskets in place. a little sealant around the cam plugs. there was a great deal of smoke when the grease burnt off, but after 2 years I've had only the tiniest bit of weeping; not even enough to drip. If you have good surfaces and proper torque you are most of the way there.

Why grease? Someone had fed me a line that oil causes gaskets to swell up and seal, and that putting a little grease on them would speed the process. I'm pretty certain I read it on the old site, and it could be found in the archives, but I'm not gonna bother looking right now. I'm just pleased its doing well, and hoping I'll have less time with the permatex gasket dissolver spray when I bother to open it up and change the rings.

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

More
10 Feb 2006 12:29 #22962 by wiredgeorge
I have used grease in the past to hold gaskets in place. It doesn't do any harm. I like the NAPA product because it is easy to apply (spray), has high tack properties (gasket sticks to wherever you put it) and it will provide a nice positive seal if the gasket mating surface is a bit irregular. Some KZs seem to have the mating surfaces sort of etched or rough compared to others. My "barney" carb test bike is one such and every darn gasket on the bike leaked... it was embarrassing and irritating as I had cleaned/prepped the surfaces with a lot of care. I asked the fellas down at the NAPA store what would solve this problem and they recommended the spray on NAPA gasket sealer. I have found that gaskets applied using this stuff come off about as easily as a dry gasket and it really helped me out with the Barney bike as that bike no longer leaks. I am sold on the stuff. I have also used Permatex copper form-a-gasket for applications like brother Duck mentioned... gasket mating surface gouged or VERY warped. (Duck - I was just funnin' ya!) bwhahaha

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
10 Feb 2006 13:48 #22982 by Duck
No worries WG.
I do not mind a bit and will reciprocate whenever possible ;-)

We'll have to try some of that NAPA stuff around here.

-Duck

More
28 Feb 2006 11:48 #27102 by Cardin
Replied by Cardin on topic Gasket sealer?
Nice thread.

Having the same leak on my bike.

I'm looking through parts diagrams, and the Clymer is really murky on photo reference here... this Oil Plug that the wires pass through, does anyone have a part number or an off the shelf substitute?

I need to change the oil anyway, but is it normally required to drain the pan before doing this fix?