KZ650 Cam chain question

More
22 Jul 2008 10:55 #227651 by Britcheflee
KZ650 Cam chain question was created by Britcheflee
Hi,

I have not been here for a while - I have a KZ650B It starts ok when warm (a bit of a bugger when cold) and runs fine on the road - however it does not idle well and I hear a clik clak now and then - it is coming up on 30,000 miles and I think the PO rode it hard with a full fairing - I have gone through the usual things such as air leaks etc and was wondering:

1. would incorrect shim gap cause this (not done since I have had the bike and not sure when it was last done)
2. Is there any way that even with the cam chain tightener that at this milage the cam chain could be worn?

Above is link to me starting and running it if that is any help.

Thank you

Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• steveo_4192003
  • User
  • 77kz650b-1
More
22 Jul 2008 15:17 #227698 by steveo_4192003
Replied by steveo_4192003 on topic KZ650 Cam chain question
i have the same bike and its klanky and nosiey on low idle. if i remember right i think they all do it below 1500 rpms or so! you could try to adjust the auto-tesioner to if you think your chain has a little slack in it!

1977 kz650b-1, 4-2exhaust systetm, pod filters ,jetted 112 main, 17.5 pilot

More
22 Jul 2008 15:44 #227707 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic KZ650 Cam chain question
The majority of clacking problems on KZ650 is from the carbs being out of sync, or any air vacuum leaks such as the intake manifold rubbers. Being a chain primary drive the 650 is much more sensitive to carb sync than a KZ1000 with it's gear drive. I doubt the camchain or tensioner is your problem. I like your bike and video there.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
22 Jul 2008 17:00 #227736 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic KZ650 Cam chain question
While the majority of clacking coming from any bikes may be the carbs out of sync, the majority of problems with most any bike are due to lack of maintenance. Buy a shop manual and go through the tune up steps... cam chain, valve clearances, ignition timing, sync carbs and adjust mixture. Check brake pads and lube/inspect the cables and the drive chain/sprockets. It ain't all that bad to hear noises... its when they stop that you have problems or at least will wear out some shoe leather.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• bubbap
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
23 Jul 2008 11:34 #227860 by bubbap
Replied by bubbap on topic KZ650 Cam chain question
My 79 kz650 was running bad after a complete restoration.
I thought it was the carbs. but I was totally wrong, I had the wrong shim for the valves. It too would clatter at idle and quiet down on higher rpms. I would deffintely check your cam clearance.

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.

More
23 Jul 2008 11:44 #227864 by bigkaw815
Replied by bigkaw815 on topic KZ650 Cam chain question
Your bike sounds great to me from the video. I also have a 79 kz650 with around 30k on it. My clacking idle is coming from the cam chain tensioner not doing its proper job. I am in the process of getting an APE manual tensioner which I'm sure will solve the idle problem. Ride it and have fun :)

More
24 Jul 2008 06:08 #228019 by shighley
Replied by shighley on topic KZ650 Cam chain question
Britcheflee; Nice bike! I'm putting my money on sync'ing the carburetors and if that doesn't smooth it out, drop the float bowls and have a look at your pilot jets. It's possible that one or more is clogged. Is there any rust/debris in the gas tank? Couple of thoughts for you, ride safe, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!