Still sitting with the 650

More
22 Jul 2008 16:56 #227735 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Still sitting with the 650
The sledge hammer thing... I doubt the bike adjusted itself incorrectly... I would go for the mechanic bwhahaha

You wrote, quote: Every time i have the bike running, and i put it into gear it immediately kicks out. unquote

Trying to understand what is going on seems kind of important. What do you mean by kicks out? Are you talking about jumping out of gear or the bike dying?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2008 09:37 #227844 by camostriker
Replied by camostriker on topic Still sitting with the 650

BTW, is the bike lurching forward and dying when pushing down on the shift lever to put it into first gear while the cluch lever is squeezed?

that is exactly what is happening. we can move it when it is gear, with the level in. the bike shuts off after jumping forward. i am letting the clutch out slow, but that doesn't matter. tonight i am going to check my compression. eileen is killing me here guys. i just wanna get riding again. taking my friends bikes for a ride is pissing me off. i hate crotch rockets, and cruisers. and i am the only one i know under 35 with a kz. although i keep running into people with kz's in media. damn 250s and 400s. small bikes. what kind of biker gang member am i if my girl don't run. :(

More
23 Jul 2008 11:12 #227856 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Still sitting with the 650
From the description given, I would say the external shift mechanism has some issue. There is a shift drum under your left countersprocket cover. The shift drum is actuated using pawls that work off the shifter. When you press the shifter down, the pawls which are two hooked arms go up and grab a pin on the shift drum. There is a detent mechanism in the upper left corner above the shift drum which has a spring mechanism. If the spring came off or is missing, the detent would slip and you would pop out of gear into neutral. The pawls have a spring that tensions the two arms towards each other. If this spring is stretched or missing, the bike will lurch forward when you put it in gear and might pop out of gear. I suggest you take off the countershaft sprocket cover and ensure the springs mention and the shift pawls are OK.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 Jul 2008 11:18 #227857 by camostriker
if i wasn't at work i would be under my bike doing that right now. :angry: stupid work. i'll try that as soon as i get off and let yous know. god i hope that is the problem and that i can fix it quick.

More
24 Jul 2008 17:59 #228130 by Philip Meaney
Replied by Philip Meaney on topic Still sitting with the 650
Assuming, I'm understanding what you're saying your problem is, maybe this will help.

My 750 Turbo lurches and sometimes stalls when I pop it into first gear when it's cold. Common problem with the turbos (more plates in the clutch). Occasionally, when I really really don't want that clunk and lurch, I start the bike with it already in gear. The dragging is hard on the starter but I've got a spare starter (transmission parts are harder to come by). You may want to try that - at least once or twice. If you can get it running and driving, you may be able to at least figure out if it's a clutch or a transmission problem.

One thing I've noticed is that different motor oils affect my sticky clutch differently. If the problem resides in the clutch, it might be that the plates just don't like the oil you're using.

Another point to consider. I think you said your clutch is new - is it an aftermarket clutch? The Barnett I used to have in my bike was the worst piece of crap ever built - I could idle the bike uphill with the clutch disengaged for the first 20 minutes of every ride.

Couple of simple things to chew on before looking too deep. Hope this helps.

80 750 H1
85 750 Turbo
84 GPz 750

More
25 Jul 2008 08:49 #228253 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Still sitting with the 650
I didnt think about the barnett clutch,, they dont slip, , but then I wonder if something was put back wrong since you said it was a new clutch

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
28 Jul 2008 10:27 #228716 by camostriker
i don't know who makes the plates, but i put the clutch back together right. my g-pop wants to get the bike running before we start fiddling around with the lurching problem. where do those tubes on the bottom of the carbs go? we think that they go into the airbox, so that when the bike is running the airflow pulls gas into all four carbs, but we aren't sure. it takes a while to get my bike started, and even then, it'll crap out after a bit if we don't keep throwing gas into it. i really wish someone around here worked on these things

More
28 Jul 2008 11:22 #228724 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Still sitting with the 650

where do those tubes on the bottom of the carbs go?

Those are your overflow hose. They go down between the engine and the swingarm. So, if you carbs overflow the gas will go to the ground and not all over your bike!

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
28 Jul 2008 20:43 #228813 by rodneyo
Replied by rodneyo on topic Still sitting with the 650
Jeez,get your manual and take the clutch cover and plates out and double check your work!you could have been riding a long time ago!It's obvious you have a clutch problem.Especially if your tranny was fine before!

More
29 Jul 2008 07:14 #228869 by camostriker
problems gone. thankfully she goes into gear now no problem. however, now she just snails along. and i did go through my manual and do the clutch that way. i'm not an idiot, i've been working on engines for five years. i have never worked on a bike engine before.

after work today i am putting on a 650 clutch cable and i am readjusting the clutch, then i'll let yous know how it goes.

More
29 Jul 2008 18:28 #229014 by camostriker
:woohoo: she works! started up nicely, went into gear, and drove down the driveway and around the block. only problem now is my battery ain't chargin. and my turn signal wires for the front are crossed. but i'm gonna go read up on them. thanks guys.

More
29 Jul 2008 18:53 #229020 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Still sitting with the 650
Battery charging problems may be traced to several things such as:
1. Loose battery terminals.
2. Green crud on electrical connection terminals.
3. Stator/generator has burned/shorted winding.
4. Rectifier/regulator failing.

I have three websites for stators and regulators/rectifiers:
1. www.rmstators.com
2. www.electrosport.com
3. www.ricksmotorsportselectrics.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)