Still sitting with the 650

More
21 Jul 2008 10:02 #227455 by camostriker
Still sitting with the 650 was created by camostriker
i am ready to take a sledge hammer to my bike. I can not figure out what the problem here is. Every time i have the bike running, and i put it into gear it immediately kicks out. the clutch is adjusted right, i haven't done anything to the cams, and the carborators are all in sync. i need your helps everyone. i leave for school in the middle of next month and i need my bike running. does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on with it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2008 10:09 #227459 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Still sitting with the 650
Does it just die or leap forward and die? I'm not sure but I really don't think a sledge hammer will fix it! :huh: With the bike off can you push the bike in gear with the clutch out....now pull in the clutch and try it.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
21 Jul 2008 11:08 #227466 by camostriker
Replied by camostriker on topic Still sitting with the 650
it leaps forward and dies. i can move it with the clutch out and in when she is off. thats why me and my g-pop are stumped. we can't pin down the problem

More
21 Jul 2008 12:06 #227476 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Still sitting with the 650
Several things come to mind reguarding your problem:

1. Re-adjust your clutch. Inadequate clutch "drag" is causing the engine to die as soon as it is in gear.

2. Check the various wiring connections under the tank as they may be corroded and giving poor electrical contact(spray with a good contact cleaner Not WD-40).

3. Check the battery terminal connections and the battery condition as these are important in proper operation of the electrical system.

4. Check and make sure the ground cable from the battery is in good condition (no rust or corrosion not internally corroded).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
21 Jul 2008 12:32 #227483 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Still sitting with the 650
Clutch not adjusted right.
Clutch plates sticking.
IN GEAR with the clutch pulled in can you push it? I had a 550 that would do the same thing but then after once it would be good to go. But the next time it sat for a while bam it would do it again. Sometimes my 900 does it too but VERY infrequently and after a good sit. How does your oil look. You have not added anything to it have you?

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
21 Jul 2008 15:05 #227501 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Still sitting with the 650
Does it jump when you go to let the clutch out and die?
have you tried to put it on the center stand and let the clutch out?

How are you adjusting the clutch?

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
21 Jul 2008 17:34 #227522 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Still sitting with the 650
What model year 650? :unsure:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Jul 2008 20:08 #227549 by camostriker
its a 77 kz650 b. i have adjusted the clutch according to my clymer; clutch plates are new, no rust; it dies instantly, with the clutch in; how does the wiring affect it?

More
22 Jul 2008 12:21 #227666 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Still sitting with the 650
camostriker wrote:

its a 77 kz650 b. i have adjusted the clutch according to my clymer; clutch plates are new, no rust; it dies instantly, with the clutch in; how does the wiring affect it?

Mine has a lockout switch on the clutch lever so the starter can't work unless it's pulled in. Is it possible somebody got that messed up?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
22 Jul 2008 15:06 #227696 by camostriker
nope, it don't have one. there is nothing around or near the lever other than the cable.

More
22 Jul 2008 15:57 #227714 by rodneyo
Replied by rodneyo on topic Still sitting with the 650
With the engine off.If you have it in gear with the clutch pulled in,can you push the bike?If not,your clutch is not releasing.I would try putting it in 2nd or 3rd gear with the clutch pulled in and have somebody push you,to see if you can get it unstuck.I had an old honda cm 400 that would stick.

More
22 Jul 2008 16:04 - 22 Jul 2008 16:07 #227717 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Still sitting with the 650
Some accessory service manuals are reportedly confusing or incorrect with instructions about adjusting the clutch push rod.

As known, there is a lock nut to be loosened. And then turn the adjusting screw until it lightly seats before turning it the other way 1/2 turn, and tighten the lock nut.

With some models (such as Z1 and KZ900) the adjusting screw is turned clockwise until seated, then counter-clockwise 1/2 turn, to set the proper gap.

With other models (as I understand the postings), the adjusting screw is turned counter-clockwise until seated, then clockwise 1/2 turn, to set the proper gap.

As these are opposites, and because the manual's instructions might possibly be wrong, perhaps the reverse clutch rod adjustment could be tried as an experiment just to see what happens.

BTW, is the bike lurching forward and dying when pushing down on the shift lever to put it into first gear while the cluch lever is squeezed?

OR is the bike lurching forward and dying when already in first gear and the clutch lever is released?

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 22 Jul 2008 16:07 by Patton.