kz750 twin starting trouble / clutch trouble

• exoskel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • transcend...
More
04 Jul 2008 16:14 #224060 by exoskel
Hi!

I recently replaced all of the top end gaskets and re-built the carbs on my '79 kz750b4. now I can't start her up! she'll backfire when i'm tryin' to kickstart or switch start.

I was going to try and push start her but found that the clutch isn't working quite right. with the lever pulled and being in gear, i get some resistance (less than when it's in gear without the lever pulled, though).

So, my questions are: could it be that the carbs aren't adjusted correctly? ( i followed what the service manual said), could it be that the timing is off (again followed service manual), or could the clutch irregularity be causing the trouble (manual followed!).

Any responses are greatly appreciated (i wanna get her goin!!!!!!!!)

thanks,

john.

1979 KZ750B4
1998 Yamaha Blaster
South Bend, Indiana

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2008 22:32 #224153 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz750 twin starting trouble / clutch trouble
If you removed the timer advance mechanism, it may be in 180 out of time.

If not that, check the static timing using an Ohm meter to get in the ballpark.

Check the puel levels in the carbs (use a clear tube).

The clutch won't make the engine backfire. A little drag on a wet clutch is normal, not sure how much yours is dragging. Your clutch may be OK.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• exoskel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • transcend...
More
05 Jul 2008 09:07 #224230 by exoskel
Replied by exoskel on topic kz750 twin starting trouble / clutch trouble
I will look at the timing again.

the bike really jumps when i try to start while in gear and with the clutch lever pulled, something that didn't happen at all before I took it off!

1979 KZ750B4
1998 Yamaha Blaster
South Bend, Indiana

• exoskel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • transcend...
More
05 Jul 2008 11:21 #224247 by exoskel
well, no luck today (so far)! i'm just plain stumped! everything seems to be adjusted correctly. that's what really worries me, because it obviously is not!

i really don't wanna take it in to the shop :(

1979 KZ750B4
1998 Yamaha Blaster
South Bend, Indiana

More
05 Jul 2008 13:34 #224254 by steell
Post exactly what the symptoms are, and exactly what you have done so far, and I'll be back on here later tonight to help.

KD9JUR

• exoskel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • transcend...
More
05 Jul 2008 21:39 #224326 by exoskel
the symptoms are: engine is not starting, will backfire about every 2 to 3 kick attempts, the clutch won't disengage the gear fully

i took off the carbs(carbs then rebuilt), cylinder head cover, cylinder head, cams, clutch, clutch cover, put in new oil filter

1979 KZ750B4
1998 Yamaha Blaster
South Bend, Indiana

More
06 Jul 2008 06:07 #224371 by steell
So you didn't remove the timing advancer?

In that case, the ignition timing won't be 180 degrees out (the normal cause of backfiring when trying to start).

When you installed the cams, did you follow the manual, 32 pins between cam marks, advancer on the "T", etc?

Was the bike running fine prior to your work?

Let's get the motor running then we'll work on the clutch.

KD9JUR

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
06 Jul 2008 06:14 - 06 Jul 2008 06:15 #224375 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic kz750 twin starting trouble / clutch trouble
I don't mean to be pushy, but did you check if the auto-advancer is 180 degrees around? It is a very common mistake that people make during re-assembly, because you can't tell the difference, and it creates the exact sympton you describe.

Also, I've had the clutch stick like that, too, on one of my 750s during clutch work. The good news is, as soon as you get the engine to fire, that problem goes away. I had even soaked my new clutch plates in oil for 24 hours before installation. To this day, if the bike has been sitting for a week, I'd better be revving up a bit when I shift into 1st for the first time or it will stall... goooooood clutch springs.... ;)

EDIT: Drat, looks like Steell posted basically the same thing between my "refresh" and post... B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com
Last edit: 06 Jul 2008 06:15 by Biquetoast.

• exoskel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • transcend...
More
06 Jul 2008 06:39 #224389 by exoskel
The timing advancer was not removed , and I remember checking between 4 and 5 times that the timing chain was put on the correct pins, and that I made sure the advancer was on the correct mark.

I had a buddy helping me out and I read him the steps in the manual while watching and making sure he did his part right!

So it sounds like the timing is off, should I go back and re-install the cams/cam chain to make sure that all is put on right?

Thanks for your help everyone ;]

1979 KZ750B4
1998 Yamaha Blaster
South Bend, Indiana

More
06 Jul 2008 14:23 - 06 Jul 2008 14:25 #224475 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz750 twin starting trouble / clutch trouble
I would check cylinder compression first. If your valve timing is off, I'd wager the compression won't be good.

Pull the spark plugs: on the 750T, you can see the edges of the valves through the plug holes with a small light as the valves open. Take off the timing cover and rotate the crankshaft with a 17mm wrench and you can check and see if the valves are opening and closing as you go by TDC. If the compression is good, and the eyeball check on the valves opening looks right, your camshafts are probably in time.

If you do end up taking the valve cover off to check things, be sure to check valve clearance.

BTW: I would still recheck the position of the timer advance mechanism and make sure the points are opening when the pistons are going up to TDC just to be sure it isn't 180 out.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Jul 2008 14:25 by bountyhunter.

More
06 Jul 2008 17:17 #224512 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic kz750 twin starting trouble / clutch trouble
did you completely loosen your cam chain tensioner before reinstalling your cams?

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• exoskel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • transcend...
More
07 Jul 2008 08:42 - 07 Jul 2008 08:44 #224628 by exoskel
Bountyhuner: I'll check that when I get home from work!
Ronjones: yes! that was the first thing we did!

Right where the exhaust meets the muffler, one of the pipes is rusted out and almost coming off, would that have anything to do with the problem? I can't afford a new system until next paycheck!

Also: the bike was running prior to takin it apart.

It would start to sputter when I got it up to 65 for more than a minute

1979 KZ750B4
1998 Yamaha Blaster
South Bend, Indiana
Last edit: 07 Jul 2008 08:44 by exoskel.