Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics

More
23 Jun 2008 06:37 #221650 by mr anderson
Replied by mr anderson on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
Excelent threak BK! I will definitley use it to do mine.:woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
24 Jun 2008 04:33 #221801 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
Common sense applies to EVERYTHING.

Yes, you have to rinse the degreaser off your parts, no matter what water based cleaner you use.

Every aluminum part of this engine was cleaned with PurplePower.....Notice.....no white powder residue.
Attachments:

More
25 Jun 2008 06:33 #222039 by des
Replied by des on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
It's just a lot harder to get all the alkali containing stuff off, I rinsed mine really well I thought, but it stuck into little crevices and started corroding it from there.

That is one nice looking motor!
Nice polishing job!

More
26 Jun 2008 12:17 #222345 by gargoyle
Replied by gargoyle on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
Hi BigKaw

What Head gasket did you go with and how's it working?

Thanks

1978 KZ650sr
Woodstock, Ontario
Canada

More
27 Jun 2008 11:09 #222514 by bigkaw815
Replied by bigkaw815 on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
I have not put the head gasket on yet. It's one from z1 enterprises. I think it's called Valspar or something. I'm awaiting the machine shop guy to tell me that my heads are ready to be picked up!

More
30 Jun 2008 20:12 #223197 by bigkaw815
I'm finally nearly done. The head is back on (with new gasket of course), buckets, shims, cams, sprockets back in. Valve cover is back on. Man, it sure take a long time when you want to do things right. I've been torquing all bolts according to the book. Now I need to put my newly cleaned carbs back on and reset the timing. I am so glad I did this project. I am not afraid to take the head apart any more :)
The resetting of the cams was worrying me, but now that Ive done it, I must say it was much easier than anticipated. I'll post pics of my newly put-back-together bike as soon as its done.

More
01 Jul 2008 08:32 #223291 by NormZ
Replied by NormZ on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
bigkaw815 wrote:

OK, so I've begun the thing that I've been waiting a looong time to do...remove my head and head gasket for inspection. This is for my pal, Mr Anderson who also will be performing the same duty soon. I've included all my step by step pics for reference. This took a surprisingly short amount of time to complete. I did it all in an hour and a half while my 18 month old son was napping. I welcome all responses (as I need some positive enthusiasm to finish the job). I am done for today, will take my head to a machine shop and have them test it for warp, clean it, etc... Here ya go!

Your pics aren't showing up...at least on my computer. Would you consider putting together an "Article" for the filebase?

I'll be pulling my head for the first time this comming weekend!

More
01 Jul 2008 09:33 #223301 by bigkaw815
Congrats on pulling your head. It will feel fantastic when you've put all that hard work and learning into your biking experience. I did not take any pictures of the re-installation. I would consider putting together an article on the database files. Perhaps I will get to this in the afternoon...but I have to put my bike back together fully! I'm dying to ride her and start her up.