Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics

More
20 Jun 2008 13:41 - 20 Jun 2008 13:46 #221180 by bigkaw815
Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics was created by bigkaw815
OK, so I've begun the thing that I've been waiting a looong time to do...remove my head and head gasket for inspection. This is for my pal, Mr Anderson who also will be performing the same duty soon. I've included all my step by step pics for reference. This took a surprisingly short amount of time to complete. I did it all in an hour and a half while my 18 month old son was napping. I welcome all responses (as I need some positive enthusiasm to finish the job). I am done for today, will take my head to a machine shop and have them test it for warp, clean it, etc... Here ya go!

Last edit: 20 Jun 2008 13:46 by bigkaw815.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2008 14:20 #221190 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
Well, I'm here to supply the positive enthusiasm...you appear to be doing it absolutely correctly, so far:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
20 Jun 2008 16:27 - 20 Jun 2008 16:30 #221207 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
I was going to say you should bag 'em and tag 'em on the various bolts and parts, but it looks like you already have that covered....:lol:

I recommend OEM gaskets if you can find them. I had a bad experience with aftermarket gaskets and ended up doing the whole rebuild OVER......

ALSO: go for the VITON valve guide seals if you can (check ebay, they sell them there). Cost a few bucks more but they are WAYYY better than butyl rubber seals. The guide seals on these things seem to fail a lot (mine sure did).

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 20 Jun 2008 16:30 by bountyhunter.

More
20 Jun 2008 18:00 - 20 Jun 2008 18:02 #221224 by bigkaw815
Replied by bigkaw815 on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
Hey , thanks for the support :cheer: Hmmmm, I got a top end gasket set from z1 and the head gasket is not metal. Is this the "cheap"set you are speaking of? I sure don't want to do this over again, since I am eager to ride the darn thing:blink: Please advise on the correct gasket set to purchase. Thanks for the responses so far.

Also, should I pull the jugs and have a machine shop re-hone the cylinders? I had exactly even compression in all cylinders before pulling the head.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2008 18:02 by bigkaw815.

More
20 Jun 2008 19:16 #221236 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
If you have good even compression across the board I would leave the bottem end alone. Why disturb a good thing? ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
20 Jun 2008 21:37 #221269 by bountyhunter
bigkaw815 wrote:

Hey , thanks for the support :cheer: Hmmmm, I got a top end gasket set from z1 and the head gasket is not metal. Is this the "cheap"set you are speaking of?

NO, my bad news set was Athena. Don't know what set you got. I got a goopd head gasket in mine but all the paper gaskets were crap (oil pan, valve cover, cylinder base gasket). The cylinder base gasket failed and I had to pull it apart back down to the bottom.

If you are not sure about the quality of the base gasket, either get an OEM gasket or MAKE ONE from the rubberized fibre material they sell at pep Boys (that works great). The base gasket has the full torque of the head pulling down on it and if it can't handle it, the gasket will break up (that's what mine did).

bigkaw815 wrote:

the head gasket is not metal.

It might work, but I wouldn't use it. It's not what it came with originally, I don't think it's as good. Check ebay because I have seen cheap (like $40) actual Kawi OEM gaskets there. The Athena set had a pretty good all metal head gasket which has worked well. The whole set was only $55, the head gasket was worth it (an OEM gasket for my 750 twin is like $100). Yours may be cheaper.

bigkaw815 wrote:

Also, should I pull the jugs and have a machine shop re-hone the cylinders? I had exactly even compression in all cylinders before pulling the head.

How many miles? If it is under maybe 40k miles and your compression is good, it probably doesn't need it. You could do a hone and install new ring sets just to get a better "set" but if your compression is good, you might end up in the same place you are now.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Jun 2008 13:03 - 21 Jun 2008 13:04 #221391 by bigkaw815
Thanks for the responses. I think, as per your advice, I'll leave the jugs alone. I'm considering cleaning the valves, head, and just putting everything back together. What methods have people used for cleaning all the gunk out of heads? I don't want to hurt the aluminum.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2008 13:04 by bigkaw815.

More
21 Jun 2008 13:40 #221393 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
Simple Green. Don't let it soak more than a couple of hours.

Jay

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
21 Jun 2008 19:29 #221419 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
There's also a product called Purple Power. Final touches can be done with an SOS pad.
Attachments:

More
22 Jun 2008 09:58 #221499 by des
Replied by des on topic Head Gasket Replacement, loads of pics
Purple power has some alkali in it and "sticks" to aluminium. If you use it rinse really well. It WILL corrode aluminium if a residue is left. (Had it happen to an aluminium mag I cleaned with it, Looked great, two weeks later a thin white residue over pitted aluminium)

More
22 Jun 2008 10:33 #221506 by bigkaw815
I think I'll try the Simple Green first to avoid hurting the aluminum. Is it safe to use a wire brush, or should I stick with SOS pads? Also, do I have to clean my pistons, or should I leave them alone? I am afraid of getting gunk into the cylinders. Thanks again for all the responses :)

More
22 Jun 2008 15:16 - 22 Jun 2008 15:17 #221543 by bountyhunter
bigkaw815 wrote:

I think I'll try the Simple Green first to avoid hurting the aluminum. Is it safe to use a wire brush, or should I stick with SOS pads? Also, do I have to clean my pistons, or should I leave them alone? I am afraid of getting gunk into the cylinders. Thanks again for all the responses :)

My manual specifically warns against cleanming the tops of pistons in cylinder because it will push hard carbon into the edges and score the cylinder wall. If you do clean them: I'd clean all the oil off with acteone, then pack some paper tightly around the edges and scrape the piston tops with a popsicle stick and then vacuum the dirt off the top to keep the crud from falling down the sides.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 22 Jun 2008 15:17 by bountyhunter.