Turbo 1000 and high compression

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You keep for your collection, I know you like it.
More
13 Jun 2008 22:18 #219923 by DaytonaMC
Turbo 1000 and high compression was created by DaytonaMC
This may be a dumb question but, I was looking at possibly adding a turbo to my 1977 KZ1000. I have high compression pistons and, I have been told that high compression and, boost do not mix. Any ideas? I am sure some of y'all have had experience with boost. Thanks in advance.

I must remove my skin.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2008 23:01 - 13 Jun 2008 23:03 #219925 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Turbo 1000 and high compression
I have experience with boost in turbocharged Corvairs and even old supercharged Studebaker Golden Hawks. In the cases I have seen, the basic (unboosted) compression ratios are lower compared to stock high performance heads. The cams and valves are typically different to get best performance.

You will get more HP by slapping a turbo onto most anything, but getting peak power and reliability means the parts have to be designed to play together.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 13 Jun 2008 23:03 by bountyhunter.

More
13 Jun 2008 23:45 #219928 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Turbo 1000 and high compression
Can't run both. Higher compression and low boost leaves the liner harder and feels great as a street motor. Low compression and high boost is top end power.

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2008 14:41 #220003 by DaytonaMC
Replied by DaytonaMC on topic Turbo 1000 and high compression
APE Jay wrote:

Can't run both. Higher compression and low boost leaves the liner harder and feels great as a street motor. Low compression and high boost is top end power.

So if I run higher compression and, low boost I should be fine?

More
14 Jun 2008 19:31 #220072 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Turbo 1000 and high compression
It's not a bolt on and run affair, going to need lot's of tuning with mistakes marked by holed pistons :)

KD9JUR

More
14 Jun 2008 19:53 #220080 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Turbo 1000 and high compression
DaytonaMC wrote:

APE Jay wrote:

So if I run higher compression and, low boost I should be fine?

generally speaking you cant run boost with high compression unless you have the ape heavy duty studs and you're gonna run on a retardedly high octane (race) fuel or you get an uber methanol injection kit. if you go turbo you might as well grab some flat top pistons and get a dyna 2000 system because turbo's require a retard in timing, also cams will be different then n/a engines because valve over lap becomes an enemy to turbo engines. To turbo properly you're looking at alot of work and money that could make a nice 120hp n/a engine and just slap on a wet nitrous kit and a clutch lock-out. Turbos are a novelty unless you're gonna go drag in an unlimited class or you have a megasquirt kit lying around. sorry if it seems like im busten balls i dont mean to come off like that

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

More
14 Jun 2008 20:43 #220086 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Turbo 1000 and high compression
you are gonna be limited by a few differant factors to how much boost you can run.what exactly has been done to the engine so far?;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2008 15:43 #220383 by DaytonaMC
PLUMMEN wrote:

you are gonna be limited by a few different factors to how much boost you can run.what exactly has been done to the engine so far?;)

Well the only thing I have done to the motor is put Wiseco 10.25:1 pistons in and, I have the APE cam chain tensioner. I have Accel coils and, wires and,Dyna S ignition. I also have a custom into 1 exhaust that I made. Jetted carbs and, pod filters. I wanted to turbo it but, maybe I will just put in some cams and, smooth bore carburetors. Any Ideas?

I have also done quit a bit in weight reduction so that helps.
If anyone has an Idea about some nice cams for some good streetable power please let me know. thanks.

More
16 Jun 2008 17:42 #220400 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Turbo 1000 and high compression
couldn't he put a J model head on his bike to lower the compression back down for a turbo?

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

More
16 Jun 2008 17:59 #220402 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Turbo 1000 and high compression
Yep!!!

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2008 18:33 #220408 by DaytonaMC
Makarth wrote:

couldn't he put a J model head on his bike to lower the compression back down for a turbo?

That is a good idea however, I like the old B model style and, with the way my bike is set up I think it looks better.
I was really stoked about maybe making a turbo'd KZ but, I think I just want naturally aspirated power. If I get some smooth bores or maybe even some flat slide Mikuni's I bet that would help out a bit. Then some new cames and, I think that might be enough for now.

More
17 Jun 2008 20:06 #220617 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Turbo 1000 and high compression
APE Jay wrote:

Yep!!!

i love Jays responses,simple and to the point!:laugh: ditto on what he said.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.