can,t engage gears, slipping

More
11 Jun 2008 16:15 #219421 by drfantastik
can,t engage gears, slipping was created by drfantastik
Hello all, #1 I am a noob, completely, to bikes, kawasakis, and forums all together. So please pardon any brain dead questions. I recently bought a 77 kz650 in running but not perfectly running condition. I thought I finally had it set for a good test ride (10 or so trips around the neighborhood), everything seemed good for the most part, but then I parked for about 1 hour, came back out to a puddle under my bike and now it won't engage gears right, the rpms rev but no or very little power to the wheel. But when I let off the throttle it gets a brief second of engagement, just enough to jerk the bike. I am lost, any ideas?

\'77 KZ650C
Harrisburg, PA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
11 Jun 2008 17:27 #219433 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic can,t engage gears, slipping
What was the puddle?

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
11 Jun 2008 17:59 #219445 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic can,t engage gears, slipping
PFC FNG wrote:

What was the puddle?

... and how big was the puddle?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
11 Jun 2008 20:29 #219502 by drfantastik
Replied by drfantastik on topic can,t engage gears, slipping
not sure what it was, but it was clean, so im guessing not engine oil maybe tranny. It was about 6 in. diameter, and was still dripping when I got to it

\'77 KZ650C
Harrisburg, PA

More
11 Jun 2008 22:09 #219523 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic can,t engage gears, slipping
wuh!! clear fluid? engine and tranny share same oil. it's why you want to use non-detergent oil or oil formulated for bikes. i don't know about the clutch system on a 650.

good luck

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

More
12 Jun 2008 08:13 #219600 by drfantastik
sorry, i guess i should've stated that the engine oil was changed within the last 10 miles, yeah like to the grocery store and back 10 miles. that's probably why the oil was so clean. so are these problems even related or am i looking at just an oil leak and also a clutch engagement problem. Its just odd because they started right at the same time, although this is the first time it was actually ridden, it always fired right up but i hadn't taken her out on the road yet.

\'77 KZ650C
Harrisburg, PA

More
12 Jun 2008 08:53 #219605 by drfantastik
ok so i was just under the bike, well as much under it as possible without a jack, and it looks like my leak may be coming from where my gear shift pedal connects to my transmission. Is this possible? If this is correct what can be done? And I'm still wondering if this could be why it wont engage gears correctly. I have some mechanical understanding but that mostly pertains to cars so I'm lost here.

\'77 KZ650C
Harrisburg, PA

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
12 Jun 2008 08:55 #219607 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic can,t engage gears, slipping
If it was oil, they are probably related. If you don't know for sure what it was, sample the other fluids on the bike. Brake, gas, oil, battery (if not sealed). It is safe to touch as long as it isn't battery fluid.

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
12 Jun 2008 09:06 #219611 by drfantastik
I'm fairly certain it was oil as brake fluid levels are still good and their colors are different, it wasn't gas-wrong texture and didn't smell like gas, and wasn't battery as I still have my fingers:) Is there a gasket or something around the shift-shaft that may need replaced

\'77 KZ650C
Harrisburg, PA

More
12 Jun 2008 09:11 #219613 by MCH650SR
Replied by MCH650SR on topic can,t engage gears, slipping
If you used synthetic oil not specific to motorbikes that may be a cause of your leak and clutch slipping.
I would drain the oil and put in some regular motorcycle oil (not synthetic for older bikes) or use Rotella T 15w-40w diesel oil. I use the Rotella for all my bikes and my old '79 Chev 3/4 ton and have had zero problems with tranny slipping.

1979 KZ650SR
modified with BS32 carbs
Yoshimura 4 in1
2006 Kawasaki Sherpa
1979 Honda CX500
BC Canada

More
12 Jun 2008 09:19 #219616 by drfantastik
not sure what type of oil was used as I just bought it and the guy said he just "gave er a tune up" including oil and filter. Im definitely gonna do an oil change but I want to make sure that this leak is buttoned up before hand. I just need to find out what may be leaking, and how to fix that first

\'77 KZ650C
Harrisburg, PA

More
12 Jun 2008 12:44 #219656 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic can,t engage gears, slipping
Friend, you have already had enough confusion for one day, so I shall try to be clear as I can. You have a BAD shift seal. This is a seal that is pressed into the well that your shift shaft goes through. When the seal is damaged, it leaks motor oil; you have no separate oil in your bike (like tranny oil). OK... why did the seal go bad? Some part of the external shift mechanism is bad/bonkeers or messed up. The external shift mechanism is kind of complicated to explain but essentially, the shift shaft has a couple of hooked rods that pull on pins on the shift drum. These rods are called PAWLS. The shift drum is bunch of pins set in a circle and when the hooked pawl end grabs one, it rotates the drum and shifts (simplified explanation). The pawls must not be bent. The springs that make the mechanism work right must be in place and work right or you will end up doing damage when you try and shift. The return spring for the shift shaft must work right and not be broken... etc etc. If anything is wrong with the external shift mechanism, the shift shaft will either bend or move at an angle slightly and bingo, the seal is ruined. You were clever enough to put your 650 year/model in your signature but left out your location. You need somebody who knows what they are doing to take a look at your external shift mechanism. If you are located in the Texas Hill country, it would take me about a half hour to fix the problem. If you are not in my area, perhaps someone else could help but unless you put your location and ask, it is off to a shop you go and they will likely charge more than a KZRider member hehe...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!