I think im going to be sick

• sully73
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • throttle till you see GOD, then brake.
More
27 May 2008 14:49 #216231 by sully73
Replied by sully73 on topic I think im going to be sick
i hear what your all saying, i was really hoping to have it going now to cut down on fuel. 12 mpg in the truck and a 110 mile commute everyday is really putting the crunch on me. maybe someone will put up a donor motor. or one of you lucky fellas could have the whole thing for a scant 1k, "all it needs is a battery" lol

81 kz1000 ltd
72 cb750 chop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2008 16:12 #216241 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic I think im going to be sick
i don't have a spare crank but i found this website with a list of classic bike salvage yards. I hate to see you get rid of a nice bike and definitely hate to see some one who needs a good steed to be crapped on with this sorta of problem. www.bikersindex.com/junkyards.html

i'll keep an eye open for a good J model crank if you don't sell the bike any time soon.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

More
27 May 2008 17:11 #216257 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic I think im going to be sick
What year of bike do you have? A mk11 crank that you are looking at takes a longer cam chain and a different camchain tower sprocket. Be sure which motor you have because this could mean spending more money to make it work. MK11 crank is stronger because of the 16T center pin but in a street bike a Z1 or KZ1000 small pin crank would be fine. Also, the earlier Z1 cranks and the KZ1000 standard crank have a better chance of being straight so you would probably be able to get by with just a welding of the journals. MK11 crank and some of the later 1000 cranks have a different size alt. crank end so you may run into trouble there. Best to be sure what year motor it is so you can know what crank to look for. What year is it?

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
27 May 2008 17:49 - 27 May 2008 18:12 #216262 by steell
Replied by steell on topic I think im going to be sick
Based on the linked thread, I think it's a 1981 KZ1000K LTD

Thread link

So a J model crank would be needed.

You should be able to find one on eBay for around $50 shipped, and then another $80-$100 for a full gasket set, plus another $50 for incidentals, and then your labor.

So, for $200 or so, plus some time and effort, you could have it up and running ( if you can avoid the dreadfully expensive "While I'm there" ), or you could sell it the way it sits for $200-$300, or part it out on eBay for $500-$1000.

Parting it out on eBay is a Royal PITA, in my opinion, you have to dismantle it, clean up the parts, take pics, write the ad and post it, answer a bunch of stupid questions (What would I need to do to use this in my 72 Honda 750?), hope the winning bidders actually pay, box up and haul all the boxes to the shipper, then on top of all that you get to pay a goodly portion of the money you just made to eBay and PayPal for fees.

Never parted out a motorcycle on eBay, but I have parted out machine tools, and it's the same (not quite as many stupid questions though).

Speaking of "While I'm there", I do have a set of Wiseco 1105 pistons, a 1100 block, and a set of 83-84 GPz1100 cams that are for sale. Would really make that bike sing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Or you might PM Plummen if you are anywhere near Omaha, he might still have a KZ1000M CSR for sale cheap. Same motor as you have except it has a mechanical tach drive.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 27 May 2008 18:12 by steell.

More
27 May 2008 18:24 #216271 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic I think im going to be sick
Yep....he needs a J crank. Steell is right. They can be had for a reasonable price on e-bay. Probably the simplest way to go!

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
27 May 2008 19:23 #216283 by RedneckSamurai
Replied by RedneckSamurai on topic I think im going to be sick

1977 KZ650
1976 KZ900ltd
1976 KZ900 A4

More
27 May 2008 21:03 #216314 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic I think im going to be sick
racer54 wrote:

Yep....he needs a J crank. Steell is right. They can be had for a reasonable price on e-bay. Probably the simplest way to go!

I found some dismantler sites a while back with very cheap prices on engine parts.

www.japmcdismantlers.co.nz/kawasaki.htm

www.bucketsnbits.co.nz/race1.html

www.bikesparefinder.co.uk/Bike/KAWASAKI/

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• sully73
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • throttle till you see GOD, then brake.
More
28 May 2008 06:56 #216355 by sully73
Replied by sully73 on topic I think im going to be sick
hell i didnt know plummen was in omaha, im 35 miles away. im still looking for a crank, but if anyone hits on it, i may sell it, wont know till the time comes i guess. as far as welding the crank, what about the balance of it after, and any pics of where exactly to weld? im a great welder and would just need to know where to burn it.

81 kz1000 ltd
72 cb750 chop

• abilane78
  • User
  • Brought to you today by the letters K and Z.
More
28 May 2008 07:12 #216361 by abilane78
Replied by abilane78 on topic I think im going to be sick
PLUMMEN wrote:

been hiding things for years ,no sweat!:laugh:

It's not so easily done if your wife is also a member of the same motorcycle forums as you! Ask Mellvis!!!

Seriously though, sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having. Hope it all works out in the end for you!!!

Abbie

KZ is Japanese for COOL!!!

Morrow, Ohio

Mom
Wife
Teacher