I think im going to be sick

More
26 May 2008 14:40 #215994 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic I think im going to be sick
not necessarily, you could of had a detonation in the #1 making it fight all the other cylinders, that combined with old age i'm sure it's possible to knock it out of index. About the ebay crank i'm not sure cause i notice you have a J model engine so someone else will have to chyme in with whether or not it will work. (at least you're picture looks like a J model)

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2008 16:48 #216005 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic I think im going to be sick
differant crankshaft than 73-80 z1 and kz.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
26 May 2008 16:57 #216006 by steell
Replied by steell on topic I think im going to be sick
2 piece? The whole crank is composed of a bunch of pieces all pressed together :)

It's a roller bearing crank, each bearing has to be installed on it's pin, and then the crank and pin is pressed together. I'm not sure how many pieces there are to a 1000 crank, but I think it's around 10.

Lots of places for it to twist.

KD9JUR

More
26 May 2008 22:30 #216082 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic I think im going to be sick
steell wrote:

You could remove the crank and send it off to have it trued and welded, then it would not twist again :)

Falicon comes to mind, but APE probably does it along with a dozen more.

We don't true them. Send it to Gardner Racing.

Jay

More
26 May 2008 23:48 #216089 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic I think im going to be sick
This could turn into a spendy situation. Cam chain, back cut tranny, oversized pistons, all new cam chain sprockets, head work, valves and on and on... :laugh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• sully73
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • throttle till you see GOD, then brake.
More
27 May 2008 05:15 #216100 by sully73
Replied by sully73 on topic I think im going to be sick
yeah the oversize kit will have to wait, just wishfull thinking. ive got a very skilled machinist here in town, 50+ years at doing it. he builds race motors for guys all over the country and does tons of crank work, balances,welds,grinds the whole works. i think hell be able to get it fixed up fine. question i have is the 2-3 journals are 180 degrees off of 1-4 right? also, is there any indexing marks to line up on the seperate pieces or is it just get them straight, say with a lazer. i called him thismorning, and he was more than confident that we could get it right, dont have much to lose, just the engine i guess. as far as welding the crank, does it need to be balanced afterwards, and how would i do that with the rods on? one thing i was going to mention to him was maybe putting in set screws on the crank instead of welding so it could be disassembled later, or maybe key it. anyone ever done anything like this, or is welding the seams(just a small bead or all the way around?) the best option? any hints you guys can throw at me to maybe mention to him would be great, and thanks for all the advice sofar guys. if this forum wasnt here itd be parted out and listed on egay by now.

81 kz1000 ltd
72 cb750 chop

More
27 May 2008 05:39 #216103 by FastKaw1
Replied by FastKaw1 on topic I think im going to be sick
Markll is the only crank I would put in. Cost more but worth the extra expense.
If you cant find one look me up.

XENU

More
27 May 2008 06:48 #216113 by steell
donthekawguy wrote:

This could turn into a spendy situation. Cam chain, back cut tranny, oversized pistons, all new cam chain sprockets, head work, valves and on and on... :laugh:

AKA "While I'm/you're there" :woohoo:

KD9JUR

More
27 May 2008 07:23 #216122 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic I think im going to be sick
Its times like this that you just have to suck it up and get it done. Just remind yourself you bought the bike to drive it, so you need to do what you need to do to drive it. That simple. I have been there myself, I think just about everyone on thit forum has had a "wonderful discovery" such as you have had. It will run again, thats the important thing... right! Good luck!

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

• sully73
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • throttle till you see GOD, then brake.
More
27 May 2008 08:07 #216136 by sully73
Replied by sully73 on topic I think im going to be sick
im at the point right now, i think its ebay material. im pissed because i bought a bike that turned into a lemon real fast, and i dont the extra funds to get it repaired right. machinist said itd be about $500 to fix the crank. add on top of that all the gaskets,still getting the carbs rebuilt,labor, the nightmare of the few case bolts that snapped, and my limited knowledge with this bike, and im going to end up having 2k in this thing with no garantee that the sob will run after i put it back together.its just not something i have the time and money for right now, and i know itll just sit in the garage for the next few months till i get it all together. the bike itself is in great shape, so i should be able to recover most of my money by parting it out. lesson learned i guess. i appreciate the help and advice you all have tossed my way, but i just dont need this right now. going to take a few breaths, have some coffee and think about it for a few minutes and make a decision, probably doesnt help that im coming off a 12 hour shift and im just pissy, lol.

81 kz1000 ltd
72 cb750 chop

More
27 May 2008 13:36 #216204 by steell
Might take a few months? Sheesh, my projects end up taking years to complete :laugh:

Garage into shop conversion started four years ago, might be finished this year.

KZ750E project started last year, might be be completed next year.

KD9JUR

More
27 May 2008 14:30 #216222 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic I think im going to be sick
steell wrote:

Might take a few months? Sheesh, my projects end up taking years to complete :laugh:

Garage into shop conversion started four years ago, might be finished this year.

KZ750E project started last year, might be be completed next year.

My 650 cafe project started last November, and will hopefully finally be finished up this coming weekend so I know that feeling!!! But the feeling you'll get when it's all said and done and you learned the things you learned getting it from basket case to daily rider will be awesome. Please don't turn a complete bike into parts!!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE