GPz750 cylinder install

More
25 Apr 2008 10:54 #209025 by murphus
GPz750 cylinder install was created by murphus
So assuming one doesn't own the special Kawasaki tool that holds the pistons in place, centered and upright, when installing the cylinder barrel, what's conventional wisdom on best approach? Middle cylinders up and locked, slide the barrel down, rotate crank and position outer cylinders and repeat? Outer first and then inner? Or all at same position? Any tips on locking the crank in place and positioning for an easy assembly greatly appreciated!! I've never done one of these, the last engine was a Laverda triple with a 120 crank. It was kind of interesting but the assembly went pretty well. Better yet it still runs!

Thanks, Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2008 11:02 - 25 Apr 2008 11:09 #209029 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic GPz750 cylinder install
I made some piston holders from some thin paint stir sticks I got from Home depot. I cut them into shorter lengths and duct taped them together until it was as tall as I needed. The point is to rotate the crank until the pistons are firmly setting on the holders and can't rock while you isntall them.

I haven't done a four, but the approach I would us is do the middle pots first with them up a little higher than the outers. Put the piston supports under middle ones and clamp the rings. Lower the cylinder slowly and get it just started over the first ring. Tap down slowly adjusting the clamp pressure as needed. Remove the clamps and piston holders. Rotate the crank raising the pots already in and the cylinder will raise with them. Get the outers high enough to get the supports under them and apply the clamps. Tap the cylinder down onto them and then remove the clamps and supports.

Some things I learned:

1) Use fine sandpaper and polish the inside of the clamp bands to maki the things slide easier.

2) Use plenty of oil on them.

3) Oil rings break REALLY EASILY....

4) Draft an assistant to help because you are trying to support and guide the cylinder down, wrangle the pistons and clamps and also adjust the clamp pressure just right.

5) if the clamps are too tight, they will not let the cylinder down. Too loose,a dnthe cylinder will hang on the edge of the ring.

6) tap lightly, go slowly, and keep checking to make sure a ring has not popped out of the clamp and is blocking the cylinder.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Apr 2008 11:09 by bountyhunter.

More
25 Apr 2008 11:14 #209032 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic GPz750 cylinder install
Like 'bountyhunter' said, do the middle pots first...but I am assuming you don't have any of the special tools that hold the pistons AND rings clamped?!?! If not, then it becomes a bit trickier...some folks have said they can do a four banger by themselves w/out the special piston tool. I am not so talented but I am blessed with an exceptional wife who's not afraid to dive into a bike's innards. I have found that it takes two hands per piston to compress the piston rings sufficiently to slide into the jugs...she on one side of the bike, me on the other...center pots first, then the crank is slowly rotated and the jugs lowered onto the outer pistons and repeated until all pistons are in the jugs.:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
25 Apr 2008 11:22 #209038 by bountyhunter
It occurred to me later that, assuming you have four clamps, it could be possible to do all four at once. You would have to position all four pots level across the top and then come up with a wooden block or support that would just slide under the pistons to support them.

I am not sure this would be easier, I think fighting two at a time is hard enough.....

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Apr 2008 11:23 #209039 by bountyhunter
Somebody has suggested using large hose clamps are ring compressors. I have not tried it, but they are cheap enough you could buy four if you wanted to.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Apr 2008 11:31 #209043 by murphus
Replied by murphus on topic GPz750 cylinder install
In the past I've used ring compressor and cut the band to the needed width, getting at least two from one. Then I wrap the compressor band around the piston, then a clamp around the band, tighten, and go from there. This one's just different for me as it's my first four. The suggestions above make sense to me.

Richard

More
25 Apr 2008 11:32 #209044 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic GPz750 cylinder install
bountyhunter wrote:

Somebody has suggested using large hose clamps are ring compressors. I have not tried it, but they are cheap enough you could buy four if you wanted to.

They are, in fact, exceptionally cheap, and I have tried this technique...it sounded incredibly simple when suggested to me..I went back to my two-fisted approach as the design of the hose clamps doesn't permit the leading edge of the sleeve to cover the compressed rings without bumping into the hose clamp...the Kawasaki ring compressors have the clamp offset to allow the sleeve to slide over the rings:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
25 Apr 2008 14:41 #209074 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic GPz750 cylinder install
When I was putting together my buddy's Spectre, I removed the pistons from the rods, used one ring compressor tool to slip the pistons into the sleeves, rotated the crank until 2 & 3 were up, installed the wrist pin & retainers, then rotated the block until I could so the same 1 & 4. Yes, it's tricky and I took me two tries to get it, but it worked. It helps to have some short pieces of 2x4 to use as props to hold the block at the right height.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
25 Apr 2008 22:37 #209159 by bountyhunter
Mcdroid wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

...the Kawasaki ring compressors have the clamp offset to allow the sleeve to slide over the rings:)

That's the best design. I ended up with the standard kind with a straight band. Harder to use, you have to get the tension just right to hold the ring enough to let the cylinder slip down and not clamp too tight. I popped a ring on the second rebuild, not sure how.

BTW: you may want to file a little bit on the "bevel" at the base of the cylinder to help it get over the edge of the ring.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Apr 2008 22:40 #209160 by bountyhunter
guitargeek wrote:

When I was putting together my buddy's Spectre, I removed the pistons from the rods, used one ring compressor tool to slip the pistons into the sleeves, rotated the crank until 2 & 3 were up, installed the wrist pin & retainers, then rotated the block until I could so the same 1 & 4. Yes, it's tricky and I took me two tries to get it, but it worked. It helps to have some short pieces of 2x4 to use as props to hold the block at the right height.

Good one. I thought of that and couldn't do it. The tolerance fit of the wrist pins to the rods and pistons on mine is so tight I couldn't get them to line up that way.... in fact, it was hard to get the pins through without the cylinder! The pins were a press fit, zero tolerance at all.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Apr 2008 23:45 #209173 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic GPz750 cylinder install
Couldnt you use cut aluminum from pop cans to fashion a sleeve out of that would be thin enough to go into the jug with the piston? Then be removed once the rings clear the edge? maybe with the help of a hose clamp?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
26 Apr 2008 22:17 #209371 by bountyhunter
Qdude wrote:

Couldnt you use cut aluminum from pop cans to fashion a sleeve out of that would be thin enough to go into the jug with the piston? Then be removed once the rings clear the edge? maybe with the help of a hose clamp?

I don't think so. The piston to cylinder clearance is only a couple of thousandths.

1979 KZ-750 Twin