Valve cover gasket

• Gosling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats behind you is not important
More
25 Apr 2008 06:30 #208946 by Gosling1
Valve cover gasket was created by Gosling1
Good morning everybody, I am sitting at Z1's website getting ready to order a new valve cover gasket for my 1100, and I have a question. Do I need to order anything else from Z1 to put the gasket on, or is it just like a valve cover gasket on a car as far al instulation goes? Thanks for answering my really basic question.
Brandon

1983 KZ1100A Shaftee box stock.
A herd of Bultacos to play in the dirt with. Arvada, Colorado
Kick it in the guts Berry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2008 07:46 #208965 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Valve cover gasket
How are the end cap inserts looking? if you also replace those, you should also buy some gasket sealer...if not, then the valve cover gasket goes on dry:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Gosling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Apr 2008 09:13 #208986 by Gosling1
Replied by Gosling1 on topic Valve cover gasket
Thanks for the info, I will look at the end caps when I get home tonight.

More
25 Apr 2008 09:16 #208988 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve cover gasket
If the end caps are aging, you may need to use some RTV type sealer across the tops them to keep them from leaking. If they are pretty old, get new ones. If they are not too bad, I would take them out and clean them (and the head) and reseal them in. Those things are notorious for leaking oil.

The sealer I use is called Ultra Hi temp Black and you can get it at Pep Boys or Kragens.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Apr 2008 09:55 #209007 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Valve cover gasket
If the end caps are leaking, replace them. Otherwise don't fool with them. Once removed they will never seal gain even with RTV or Yamabond #4. Of course disclaimer "In my opinion"

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
25 Apr 2008 10:40 - 25 Apr 2008 10:44 #209019 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve cover gasket
RonKZ650 wrote:

If the end caps are leaking, replace them. Otherwise don't fool with them. Once removed they will never seal gain even with RTV or Yamabond #4. Of course disclaimer "In my opinion"

I tend to agree, if they are not leaking and are still firmly affixed in the head, don't mess with them.

If you do have to remove them, the way to get old plugs to seal is:

Clean the head surface throughly. Scrap all the old glue off and clean with acetone.

Clean the rubber plug too, scrape the old crud off and clean with acetone.

Run a bead of the black RTV in the curve in the head. Run a matching bead on the plug, use plenty. Assemble as follows:

GENTLY set the plug in and don't push down on it yet. Get a flat edge like a ruler or popsicle stick and lay it sidways across the top of the plug so it goes in just flush and level and will mate with the top cover. Wipe the excess RTV off around the curve AND DON'T TOUCH IT AGAIN UNTIL IT DRIES completely.

That sealed my leakers. If necessary, you may want to run a thin bead of RTV on top across the plugs and adjacent lip to get a tight seal with the gasket.

BTW: installing new plugs, the manual does say to use a sealer on them inside the head surface. In that case, I apply the sealer and assemble plugs, gasket and top cover while still wet (finger tight bolts, not fully torqued) so it will push the rubber cap down a bit to where it should be before the sealer sets. Let it dry well then torque. With new plugs, RTV across the top of the plugs or on the gasket is usually not necessary to get it to seal. With old, dried plugs it usually is.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Apr 2008 10:44 by bountyhunter.

• Gosling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Apr 2008 13:19 #209824 by Gosling1
Thanks for all of the info. When I got home and checked, the endcap plugs, didn't look to be in too bad of shape, but they were cheap enough that I ordered just in case. I still have to get the sealer, but I am going to wait until I get the gaskets. I will let you all know how things turn out.
Brandon

• Gosling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 May 2008 09:23 #211311 by Gosling1
I tackled the gasket this weekend. It went awsome, no hitches or problems, and as a bonus the wife even came out in the garage and helped. Thanks for all of the advice.
Brandon

More
05 May 2008 09:31 #211313 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Valve cover gasket
A family bonding event! A true bonus to working on the scooter...my wife often helps me at critical times (when more than two hands are required) and both my daughters aid at times, too.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
05 May 2008 10:48 #211332 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Valve cover gasket
Mine comes out and scowls....

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
05 May 2008 10:51 #211333 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Valve cover gasket
Mine doesn't come out!

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

• Gosling1
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 May 2008 11:27 #211350 by Gosling1
She's good like that, two weeks ago I bought a new fuel filter and plugs to put in my truck(03 Silverado), I went in the house to get my grungy roll around on the floor pants on, and when I came out the garage was open, hood up, and she was already underneeth the truck pulling the old fuel filter off. She even skipped watching her NASCAR race to do that. ANd I have never seen her miss a race. I guess what I am trying to say is thank all of you for bringing my family together by answering my overly basic question.

Brandon