Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Low power 31 Jan 2006 06:09 #20699

• Bugg
  • Bugg's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I seem to get a bit of stumbling around 1/4 throttle, and after it get above a certain rev point(~3500-4k, I think) it takes off, I know I need a new air filter, but what else could be doing this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Low power 31 Jan 2006 10:46 #20732

• rodneyo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Sounds like your slow jet may be a little stopped up.A good cleaning would probably cure it.

Low power 31 Jan 2006 17:47 #20800

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
A badly plugged air filter will mess with your air/fuel ratio perhaps causing a overly rich condition. Could be an air or pilot jet in carb plugged. Carbs could be out of synch. Ignition timing could be off. I think ignition advance starts to kick in about those RPM's.

Low power 01 Feb 2006 03:42 #20860

• Snakebyte
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Broken advance springs on your mechanical advance??

Low power 01 Feb 2006 05:51 #20870

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Clean and lubricate your mechanical ignition advance before trying anything else. If you pilot jets were plugged, the problem would be in your idle and just off idle transition. You are running on the jet needle/needle jet at 3500 rpm. In addition, if the air filter were plugged up, you would be lean across the entire range of operation... the stumbling you note COULD be lean caused by use of aftermarket air filters or a pipe that is producing the lean spot and raising your jet needle would be a possible fix but since the stumble comes where full ignition advance should be occuring, I tend to want to clean the mechanical advance. Be careful with the springs. They are compression springs and if you stretch them, they are ruined.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Low power 01 Feb 2006 11:33 #20930

• Bugg
  • User
thanks everyone, I went through the tuneup routine (points, cam chain, valves) and it runs alot better. I checked the advance, didn't pull it out tho, just made sure it was moving out and closing back down
The chain tensioner was a little less than 1mm off and the valves took only a very tiny adj. to get the .1mm blade in, the points and timing seemed good tho. Do those discepencies seem enough to make it run badly, or could I be looking for something else?? btw I'm still waiting on a new air filter, should be a day or 2

Low power 01 Feb 2006 11:42 #20934

• Bugg
  • User
figured, I'd throw out a pic so you can see what I'm working toward

oh btw I found that I can make it to the local taco bell on the gas in the carbs haha, still not used to these cute lil manual taps

Post edited by: Bugg, at: 2006/02/01 14:45
Attachments:

• Page: