550 - Stator cover leaking badly

More
24 Mar 2008 13:33 #201959 by Jayar
550 - Stator cover leaking badly was created by Jayar
Been searching the site, but can't find a definitive answer to this:

Is the stator housing(?) on an '81 kz550A supposed to be oil-free inside, or does the stator mechanism need oil to operate correctly?

Seems like oil coming out when you pull the cover is not uncommon, but can't tell if it's supposed to be that way.

Mine had a lot when i took the cover off, but the bike seemed to run fine.

The previous owner had made a gasket out of orange stuff, but it failed after just a few miles of me owning the bike.

The stator wire grommet was probably leaking, too.

Can't find a cover gasket or grommet for sale for my model specifically.

Thanks!

JR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2008 14:12 #201967 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
If you can't find a gasket, make your own. Go to an auto parts store and buy some gasket material. I have seen two thickness material. Get the thick stuff. The grommet on my KZ1100 leaked. When I had the stator cover off I degreased the grommet and smeared black permetex no 2 all over it and the wires going through it and it no longer leaks....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
24 Mar 2008 14:13 #201968 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
The stator on a 550 does not require any oil to operate correctly. If you are leaking oil into that area my guess would be your lefthand crankseal is leaking.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
24 Mar 2008 14:36 #201972 by Jayar
Replied by Jayar on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
Perfect. Thanks. for the info.

Since it's supposed to be dry in there, is it the kind of thing where I should not ride it until the crankseal is fixed?

It's being looked at now for general health. Just wanted to have some idea what to expect.

Much appreciated.

JR

More
24 Mar 2008 14:44 #201975 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
Oil is always in there, whether it's supposed to be or not I don't know but I wouldn't replace any crank seals as that's a big job. Oil in there most definately doesn't hurt anything. Gasket part # 11060-1055.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
24 Mar 2008 18:07 #201998 by Jayar
copy that. thank you.

More
24 Mar 2008 20:13 #202015 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
I've had my bike for 28 years and 51,000 miles and the inside of my stator cover is bone dry! I agree with Gringo that the crank seal is leaking, only way oil could get in there. Isn't the seal installed from the outside?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
25 Mar 2008 07:10 #202066 by RonKZ650
I always thought the seal too, but I've probably had the stator cover off 10 or more KZs over the years and all of these had at least some oil in there but none of mine has ever leaked one drop from the cover. The seal has a lip that sits in a groove in the cases, so to replace it the engine will have to be pulled and the cases split and crankshaft removed. I guess this is the same idea as leaky "main seals" in a car? which seems common. Why does 50 guys a week have this seal leak, but never a mention of the right side seal being a problem. I suppose oil is herded to the left by using the sidestand is the logical assumption.

More
26 Mar 2008 09:21 - 26 Mar 2008 09:22 #202265 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
I have never seen any significant oil in the stator housing on a 550. Most are completely bone-dry. (I have 10 of them laying around.) I've seen oil in there on other KZ's, but not 550's unless the left seal was leaking.

I don't know if it would hurt the alternator at all, though.

Also, make sure the oil is not getting in there from a leak in the cylinder. If the left cylinder leaks oil, it tends to dribble onto the alternator cover. If the gasket leaks, that could collect oil.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2008 09:22 by loudhvx.

More
27 Mar 2008 23:12 #202612 by Jayar
I got the bike back from the shop before they did any real work on it.

I need to pull the stator components out and see what I can see.

I'm assuming the crank seal will be visible. How involved is the job of replacing the crank seal, if that's what it is?

I'll check for leaks in the other places as well. Thanks again for all the info.

JR

More
28 Mar 2008 06:47 #202643 by RonKZ650
You'll need the puller tool to remove the stator from the crankshaft to see the seal, but all you can see is the outer surface that won't tell you anything really. To replace the seal it will mean pulling the engine from the frame and disassembly all the way to crankshaft removal. This means removing the clutch cover and clutch, oil pan, the mission cover where your gear shift mech goes into on the left side of the engine, the starter clutch assm, then removing all 50 bolts or whatever to split the cases. Your camchain is tight around the crankshaft so either the cams will have to be removed or if you're lucky maybe just the tensioner can be removed to give enough chain slack to move the crank. Remove all the crankshaft bolts, lift the crank and seal up out of the lip in the case, slide the seal off the end of the crank. Voila' you're all done. Simply reverse to reassemble. You'll need all new gaskets, plus various rubber seals. Reinstall the engine and all done. All this can be done in an hour or two some evening after work ;) I don't think. Is the oil leak really *that bad*? I sure wouldn't attempt to fix it as if it is actually a problem, it is very common and not a big deal.

More
28 Mar 2008 07:18 #202648 by Jayar
That sounds exactly like what I didn't want to have to do!

As far as how bad the leak is, I guess it depends on how you look at it. If I can seal the stator cover effectively, the oil will not leak onto the road/exhaust. I think i can manage that.

However, I hate that there's that much oil leaking into an area where it's not supposed to be. Whenever I take the cover off, after riding less than 30 miles, there's about a cup of oil in there.

I'll start with sealing it up really well. Just have to keep adding oil when it gets low in the crankcase. Eventually, it seems like the oil around the stator area will cause problems though.

Maybe i'll start looking for a spare engine to mess with.

Thanks.
JR