550 - Stator cover leaking badly

More
28 Mar 2008 07:26 #202650 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
Wow if you're getting a cup of oil after 30 miles you do have a problem that will need correcting. I get a cup out of mine, but that's after lots of miles.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2008 08:42 #202665 by j_bizach
Replied by j_bizach on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
Got a 550 never leaked into startor cover. A cups preaty bad. Id imagin that after a while all that oils going to affect your alternator.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
28 Mar 2008 12:44 #202725 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
Jayar I took this pic of a 650 I have with the rotor removed. Your 550 will look pretty much the same. Hope this helps.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special
Attachments:

More
28 Mar 2008 12:56 #202728 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
Have no experience with 550's, but here's a blind swing. :lol:

Any possibility of a crankcase vent being clogged and allowing excessive pressure to build up inside the crankcase? :unsure:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Mar 2008 20:42 #202820 by Jayar
Replied by Jayar on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
wow. thanks for the pic!

The longer i own this bike the more it seems like a flawed purchase.

I'll check the crankcase vent if i can find it.

Right now, I have to find out why raw gas is dumping out of my carbs onto the street. I don't want to be a human fireball.

About to search that problem now, but expect some questions!

I just ordered my manual today, plan on reading it cover to cover.

In the meantime, thanks for you patience. much appreciated.

JR

More
28 Mar 2008 21:50 - 28 Mar 2008 22:00 #202827 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
Jayar wrote:

...The longer i own this bike the more it seems like a flawed purchase.

I'll check the crankcase vent if i can find it.

Right now, I have to find out why raw gas is dumping out of my carbs onto the street... ordered my manual today, plan on reading it cover to cover....

Am guessing KZ550 oil breather concerns are similar to those on large fours, as follows:

If the breather hose or the parts inside the breather become clogged, pressure may build up in the crankcase and cause oil leaks. [quoted from FSM]

The gas dumping from the carbs prompts suspicion of whether the crankcase oil may be contaminated by gas intrusion thinning and ruining the oil (a serious condition). Which might also explain presence of oil in the stator area. Am thinking hot thin gas-contaminated oil could more readily bypass seals (such as the crankshaft seal).

Would sniff-test crankcase oil to detect any gasoline odor evidencing fuel intrusion into crankcase. And also physically examine the oil to see if it feels thin and diluted. The oil level may even look too high. If in doubt, should change the oil and filter, and of course identify and correct the problem.

Gas from the carb overflows could be due to any of several causes, such as leaky float needle (a likely suspect), leaking or sticking float, cracked overflow tube, and probably others.

Have also heard that a faulty vacuum petcock diaphram can allow fuel to pass down through the vacuum tube into the carb, on into the combustion chamber, then down around the pistons into the crankcase.

Meanwhile, it's too soon imo to view the bike as a flawed purchase.

Good Luck! :)

And here's the diagram from Kawasaki.com showing location of the oil breather:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Mar 2008 22:00 by Patton.

More
29 Mar 2008 07:31 #202878 by Jayar
Replied by Jayar on topic 550 - Stator cover leaking badly
Awesome. As soon as my manual gets here, I'll start investigating (Monday) anything I need to dissassemble.

The oil definitely has a gas hint to it, and doesn't look like pure oil.

And the petcock is suspect, as well. Might have been my imagination, but I feel like the amount of gas dripping from the tubes was affected by slight variations in position of the petcock lever...straight down seemed to leak more than when biased toward "reserve". Not sure.

The only thing i changed in the time the leak was more of a drip, to a gush, was to change the angle of my handlebars (and controls).

If I look at the carb and push the throttle FORWARD I see a little part of the linkage move fairly significantly. I'm going to mess with the position and see if it makes a difference in the gas problem.

Flawed purchase :) I only mean that it's my first bike, and the seller did not represent it as needing major mechanical work. He said things like, "Just so you know, these mirrors aren't original to the bike...and there's a tiny scratch on the rear fender." He left out the fact that it pukes oil all over my foot and back tire after about 30 miles.

Oh well, I like the bike enough to want to figure it out.

Thanks again.

JR