New KZ Twin Owner looking for help with no start condition

More
25 Mar 2008 22:15 #202198 by Qdude
Are there two coils on a twin?

Would it have been impossible to have switched the coil wires up?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• votumamor@gmail.com
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Mar 2008 22:43 #202204 by votumamor@gmail.com
Replied by votumamor@gmail.com on topic New KZ Twin Owner looking for help with no start condition
Qdude,
There is only one coil and yes, I forgot which wire went where. I tried both configurations and got the same result, BANG out the carbs. I checked the online manual and will correct that.

About the valve timing, you think 180 degrees off? I positioned everything according to the manual: I lined up the "T" on the spark advance and lined up the marks on the cam sprocket to be horizontal with the gasket surface, with the arrow pointing forward and the marks on the right side. Also made sure the notch on the camshaft was pointed to the rear per the manual.

Ima double check the manual but I'm pretty sure I got it right.

More
26 Mar 2008 09:45 - 26 Mar 2008 09:51 #202269 by bountyhunter
Qdude wrote:

Are there two coils on a twin?

Would it have been impossible to have switched the coil wires up?

No, only one coil.... but it is possible to get the spark timing 180 out if you removed the "cam" body that drives the points from the shaft and put it back on the wrong way.

Ask me how I know that....:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 26 Mar 2008 09:51 by bountyhunter.

More
26 Mar 2008 09:47 #202271 by bountyhunter
votumamor@gmail.com wrote:

Qdude,
There is only one coil and yes, I forgot which wire went where. I tried both configurations and got the same result, BANG out the carbs.

Wires are reversible, they both spark on every upstroke.

About the valve timing, you think 180 degrees off?

Impossible to set the valves 180 off on a twin as long as you set the valves on TDC. You can set the cams to either TDC on the four stroke cycle because both pistons go up and down together.

Qdude,
I positioned everything according to the manual: I lined up the "T" on the spark advance and lined up the marks on the cam sprocket to be horizontal with the gasket surface, with the arrow pointing forward and the marks on the right side. Also made sure the notch on the camshaft was pointed to the rear per the manual.

Ima double check the manual but I'm pretty sure I got it right.

You did.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Mar 2008 10:29 #202278 by ronjones
Had a similar problem getting my bike started 1st time, after rebuild. I put the timing advancer in 180*. After pulling it out and rotating it, she fired up.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
26 Mar 2008 13:32 #202318 by bountyhunter
ronjones wrote:

Had a similar problem getting my bike started 1st time, after rebuild. I put the timing advancer in 180*. After pulling it out and rotating it, she fired up.

Been there, done that.....:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• votumamor@gmail.com
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Apr 2008 00:00 #203441 by votumamor@gmail.com
Replied by votumamor@gmail.com on topic New KZ Twin Owner looking for help with no start condition
Ok here's what I found. The compression was very low due to damaged rings. They seemed to fit very tightly into the groove around the piston head. It didn't help when the cylinder head dropped on them upon re-install.

I've got many other projects to tend to, SO Ima let this one go. Its on Ebay now, search "81 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD" or "votumamor3" user name.

Electronic ignition for sale, nice seat, all the electricals are confirmed working, good cyl head, good tank and matching side covers, new brake master cylinder..... See pictures and descriptions on Ebay.

More
01 Apr 2008 04:32 #203454 by steell
bountyhunter wrote:

ronjones wrote:

Been there, done that.....:laugh:

Add me to the list:blush:

KD9JUR

More
04 Apr 2008 13:08 - 04 Apr 2008 13:12 #204245 by Tyler
hmmm fresh parts....B)

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Last edit: 04 Apr 2008 13:12 by Tyler.