engine pitting

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jan 2008 10:54 #188566 by violentvintagecycles
engine pitting was created by violentvintagecycles
Hey all.. Been trying different things to get this engine/fins clean. Tried everything from windex to the last attempt,clr. Worked at first but the next day when it completely dried i guess, it left an even worse calcium build up? Worse than that, as i was using the clr and i can see what was under the crud, it was a faded ass black paint job. So, to do this right im gonna have to pull the motor, get that crud off and repaint it, dont i?
Second, how the heck do i get this clean, what do i use?? Also, nothing got rid of the pitting, little white pock marks all over the engine.(check next post for pic of it) Does this have to be sanded to get rid of them? I think i know the answer, but im so not the detail/bodywork/sanding/painting guy.. Have no patience for that. But if i have to i have to.. Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jan 2008 11:01 #188567 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic engine pitting
lets try that pic again..
Attachments:

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jan 2008 11:02 #188568 by violentvintagecycles
Annnd the pic of the pitting/pock marks
Attachments:

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
10 Jan 2008 11:07 #188570 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic engine pitting
IMO, the best solution is bead blasting. But you'll need to remove the engine to do that. If you are mainly just concerned with the top end, that is easier to remove and clean than the whole engine.

However, if your engine has a factory paint job, I had been told that bead blasting may not be strong enough to take off factory engine paint. I was told that there is another solution (don't know what they call it) which involves blasting it with a mixture of glass bead and water at high pressure. It was described to me as something that requires very specialized equipment to do, and not a lot of places have it. I didn't look into it any further, so that's all I know.

When I did my top end rebuild on my M2, I used a set of 1100 cyls which were painted black from the factory. They were pretty dirty/ugly. So I blasted them with a standard bead blaster to clean them up as best I could. Couldn't get most of the factory paint off. So I just gave them a fresh coat of black high-temp engine paint. I guess I could have gone with aluminum-colored paint. But decided to keep them black.

West Linn, OR

More
10 Jan 2008 11:35 #188576 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic engine pitting
Glass beading will clean them, but as stated it needs to be taken apart and cleaning the beads out after is a pain, they get into everything.
What about paint stripper or ez off oven cleaner?

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
10 Jan 2008 11:45 #188579 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic engine pitting
BSKZ650 wrote:

What about paint stripper or ez off oven cleaner?

Paint stripper did nothing for me.

I tried two different kinds: Aircraft Stripper and something supposedly intended specifically for "epoxy" type paints.

West Linn, OR

More
10 Jan 2008 13:04 #188592 by bigbadwolf76
Replied by bigbadwolf76 on topic engine pitting
Since it's corrosion, you have two options to remove it. Chemical, or Mechanical.

Frankly, chemicals usually suck on corrosion. Only one I've had any luck with on aluminum is CLR. (Calcium, Lime, Rust remover) Rinse the part good afterwards!

As for mechanical, there is sandpaper, (pain in the butt!) beadblasting, (my fav, but it's alot of work), or a brass bristle brush. You may find the brass brush is the simplest and easiest.

Any way you do it, it's a PITA!

Matt in TX

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jan 2008 14:48 #188602 by violentvintagecycles
The last thing i tried was the clr, it looked good till the next day, But i didnt rinse it like you said. Would explain why it filmed up again. Didnt do jack for the pitting, came to the conclusion that im gonna have to use the dremel and sand it.. Thats what i was trying to avoid, my budget wont allow for beadblasting, was hoping there would be an easier out, butttttt.. NO!

More
11 Jan 2008 00:15 #188688 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic engine pitting
My son picked up a Acura motor last year and it was really pitted and had a ton of corosion on it. We got a ton of the wire wheel things for the Dremel and went to town. They worked really good. Don't get the Dremel brand because you will have more money in the wire wheels than the bike is worth. :laugh: We went to the local tool outlet store and found them for 50 cents a peice instead of 3 or 4 bucks for the Dremel brand.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jan 2008 13:08 #188748 by violentvintagecycles
Thats exactly what i have to, the 3$ a pop dremel wire wheels.. Gonna have to find a cheaper source.. ironically i have the 10$ walmart dremel imitation.. :P

More
11 Jan 2008 16:03 #188761 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic engine pitting
get some spray on mag wheel cleaner and let it soak and hose it off,might take a couple tries;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
11 Jan 2008 18:03 #188776 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic engine pitting
I used oven cleaner before, that stuff works, on caked on oil and grease, not calcium as much. If you want the pain off I have heard stories of brake fluid or even permatex gasket remover. The gasket remover removes paint better than the gaskets.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean