Which exhaust to buy?

More
05 Jan 2008 09:05 #187753 by fordtruck
Which exhaust to buy? was created by fordtruck
Hey guys. I've been lurking here for a few months trying to learn some things about KZ's. In the next month or so I will be looking for a KZ900 or KZ1000. I'd like some info on 4 into 1 pipes. I've looked at Kerker, Vance and Hines, and Jardine. Can someone give me first hand advice on sound, quality, and whether or not I will have to rejet the carbs.

I don't plan on making too many mods. Probably dyna-s ignition and coils and maybe individual air filter instead of the factory air box.

Thanks a bunch

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2008 09:32 #187759 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Which exhaust to buy?
fordtruck, I've heard a lot about the new systems. I personally like the Kerker, but I bought mine 25yo. Classic sound, well built. Now I believe Kerker is owned by Supertrapp? I've heard to definitally stay away from MAC, heard a couple bad things about V&H (not as bad as MAC) Heard that chrome is thick so need to grind some off header so can slides on easier. Don't know much about quality of new Kerker. I know they are a LOT more money now. I paid $199 for mine and now they are about $400+!! Jardin (still around?) draws a blank here. Check with ebay as pipes come up all the time, some older classic ones and also new ones.

Yes, you will have to re-jet for 4/1 pipe and definitaly for pods. I prefer the stock air box with a K&N filter myself. I've heard it can be tough jetting with the pods as there are many variables such as side wind, low pressure area cruising, water effect, etc.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
05 Jan 2008 09:41 #187762 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Which exhaust to buy?
Thanks bluemeanie. I found a Jardine on ronayers.com for $369. It is black with a brushed steel muffler. Like I said in my original post, I'm new to KZ's. I grew up on bikes and have had some type of bike for over 18 years now. I'm really looking forward to fixing up a KZ.

I've heard similar things about the air pods as you. I might just stick to the factory air box and put in a K&N filter.

Thanks again. Any and all advice is most welcome!

More
05 Jan 2008 10:02 #187772 by madkawltd900
Replied by madkawltd900 on topic Which exhaust to buy?
I personally thing the chrome kerker is the best looking pipe hands down. The only problem is that most folks..(to include myself) have a problem with shelling out 600 bucks for it. The best alternative would be the vance hines. Its still a decent looking pipe at about half the cost. As far as sound goes, im not sure what the kerker sounds like with large and small baffle. I think they all sound the same without the baffle though. I use a vance hines with large race baffle myself.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
05 Jan 2008 10:14 #187781 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Which exhaust to buy?
If you're positive of what your expectations are of an exhaust system (performance, looks, tuning/rejetting requirements, etc.) and how much you're willing to spend, this will help in narrowing the selection down and making the choice easier.

If you're planning on using the OE airbox, some exhaust systems still require minor rejetting for "peak performance".
Systems like Mac and Jardine however tout that they can be used w/out any rejetting provided the OE airbox is being used, (I'm running a Mac 4-into-1 on my KZ650 with the OE airbox, and it runs just fine w/out rejetting).
If you plan on running pods (individual air filters), then regardless of the brand of exhaust you definately WILL need to rejet the carbs.
Rejetting for pods isn't always easy but can be done, and for most people it takes just a few tries to get the jetting just right.

Another thing to consider is that some exhaust systems require removal of the center stand to even be able to mount their system to your bike.
This set-up also blocks access to the oil filter and oil drain bolt, so the exhaust will neeed to be removed each time you want to change your oil and filter.
Along with the PITA factor this poses, IMHO having the exhaust that close to the oil pan can't possibly be good for the oil temp. :S

Kerker (now owned and sold through Super Trapp IIRC):
Very nice sound, good quality finish, and easy to install. Not an easy system to find for some bike models however. :(
V&H:
Similar to Kerker in sound, quality and easy of install.
Still being manufactured, so systems for most models can still be had.
Jardine:
Decent sound and quality. But I've heard some people complain that the mounting for the muffler is off slightly, and requires some "tweaking" for a good, solid alignment.
Mac:
Although nice sounding, a step below the Jardine in fit and finish. The benefit is that they. make them for a lot of models, and are probably the least costly system available.

There were quite a few other systems made years ago (Yoshimura, RC engineering, Bassani, etc) for your bike, but unfortunately are no longer being manufactured.
If you're able to locate one of them in either NOS or decent used condition, then I'd suggest snatching it up if it doesn't become to pricey!
The earlier Yosh systems are side-by-side comparable to the Kerker IMO.
RC engineering systems are similar in fit and finish as the Kerker, yet have diff jetting requirements and a slightly diff sound to them.
The Bassani is one butt-ugly system, but has a sound like no other system out there! And if properly rejetted for, will offer a noticeable performance increase. Removal of center stand to mount it and removal of exhaust required for oil/filter change are it's only drawbacks.
If I could find a Bassani for my bike, I'd consider selling/renting my wife to be able to fund it!
:whistle: :lol:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
05 Jan 2008 10:16 #187782 by chetriply
Replied by chetriply on topic Which exhaust to buy?
Not bagging on V&H but they were sold recently and the quality has suffered. I've installed several of their systems in the past year and they just aren't as good as they used to be. Fit and finish pale in comparison to earlier models.

The Kerker is an incredible pipe. The Jardine has some of the best fit and finish on the market. The Jardine is louder but it still sounds good, not annoying.

I can get you the Jardine $355.00 Blk. $399.00 Chrome
The Kerker: $499.00 Chrome $399.00 Blk
V&H 275.00 chrome. Plus shipping, no tax. Those are my everyday prices. I'm not trying to steal anyones business, just saying what my prices are.

More
05 Jan 2008 10:50 #187788 by vixweb
Replied by vixweb on topic Which exhaust to buy?
I am currently restoring a '80 KZ1000 A4 That has a 4 into 2 system(factory?)- How significant is the difference between 4-2 vs. 4-1 ? What about sound?

Shreveport,Louisiana
\'80 KZ1000 A4

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
05 Jan 2008 11:14 #187794 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Which exhaust to buy?
vixweb wrote:

I am currently restoring a '80 KZ1000 A4 That has a 4 into 2 system(factory?)- How significant is the difference between 4-2 vs. 4-1 ? What about sound?

The most noticeable between a 4-into-2 and a 4-into-1 will be the weight difference. Usually somewhere in the 15~20 pound weight savings range.
Plus a lot of the 4-into-1 systems offer increased ground clearance over stock 4-into-2 systems, so you'll likely drag the pegs during aggressive cornering before the exhaust even comes close to the ground.

And the sound will all depend on the brand of pipe, as well as what baffle ("street" baffle, "race" baffle, etc.) that it's equipped with.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
05 Jan 2008 13:10 #187811 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Which exhaust to buy?
There is lots of speculation to be made on this one, but my take is this:

Jardine: used to be cheap crap, now it's not, it's decent stuff.

Kerker: Used to be directly associated with Kawasaki, used to be the best, perhaps they're not the best now, but they're still good quality...sometimes they don't fit extremely tight on the bike, but they're still a good header.

Vance and Hines: used to be in-the-hunt for #1...now they'r pure sh*t...avoid the V&H stuff.

Again, just my opinion.
Also, any header you get is going to flow so much better than any KZ exhaust system that I am confident that you should re-jet regardless of whether or not you keep the air-box.

Good luck, keep us posted.
-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
05 Jan 2008 13:43 #187815 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Which exhaust to buy?
Wow guys, thanks for the great advice! You all have given me a lot to think about. I'm kina leaning towards the Jardine. Now I just need to find a bike!

More
05 Jan 2008 15:12 #187827 by vixweb
Replied by vixweb on topic Which exhaust to buy?
Yes, Thank You guys! I love this forum, Y'all are always nice and helpful! I think I'm gonna LOVE this bike too!

Shreveport,Louisiana
\'80 KZ1000 A4

More
06 Jan 2008 19:20 #188038 by madkawltd900
Replied by madkawltd900 on topic Which exhaust to buy?
I must have an older v&h system. Mine is solid as a rock, good fit and nice finish, no problems. There is apparently some sort of quality issues with them now. Redline cycles out of skokie,IL flat refuses to sell them because of the customer complaint issues.