1978 KZ1000 No Spark

More
07 Jan 2008 17:27 #188185 by Knowmad
Replied by Knowmad on topic 1978 KZ1000 No Spark
Lo and behold the thing started today!! YeeHaw...but...

It cranked for awhile and finally started and I ran it for a few minutes. It was idling at apx 2k and it reved easily to 3k. It blew a lot of black smoke though and a little blue smoke. I expected that. What happened next I did not expect.

I did not want to heat it up too much with my makeshift gas tank etc so I killed it with the kill switch. I let is sit a bit and tried to restart.

It cranked one little grunt and stopped. The batt or the remote power source would not turn it over. Just a buzz.

I used the bolt (17mm) on the crankshaft at the distributor to rotate the engine counter clockwise a bit and the rotor assembly bolt (13mm) loosened and changed the placement of the rotor. So I had to reset that and get it back together and then crank it again. Now it cranks fine but only some backfires through the carbs.

It seized one more time and the same procedure (turning the crank a bit) was required. Again, it cranks away. So I have some problems but I know it will run and I just have to iron out the bugs.

Anyone have an idea of what this little seizing problem is? It is suppose to be a drag bike engine as mentioned in the beginning. Maybe too high compression to turn it over under some conditions. Just grasping at straws.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.