To Locktite or to Anti-Seize, that is my question.

More
05 Dec 2007 07:20 #183810 by Avenger
I'm by no means an expert, I'm only relating what's been told to me and what I now do.

A bunch of years ago I followed instructions to use anti-sieze when bolting a sprocket to an aluminum hub.
The damn bolts backed out while I was riding (and yes I torqued them properly) and messed up the paint on my swingarm. Could have had a more drastic effect had I been hauling ass when the bolt hit.

Again, as it was told to me the anti sieze helps in that it prevents rust and gauling the threads on two different types of metals. In my little mind that tells me that I've lubricated a bolt so it doesn't rust and sieze up and that will not stop it from backing out.

Locktite, again as told to me, is like a plastic. It fills the gaps between the threads and when it cures makes it harder for bolts to back out.

I could be wrong in my application but all I know is that I've not had a bolt back out or a part fall off any of my bikes since I started this process (and before that I had a lot of things come loose) and I've not messed up any threads (I think at one point I was an expert on re-taping stripped threads).

I also read somewhere that most good grades of bolts come with some sort of coating of anti sieze.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2007 07:23 #183811 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic To Locktite or to Anti-Seize, that is my question.
I don't understand the need to anti-seize compound in a "mock up"... a fastener can't seize that quickly. As far as the "best" products, everyone will have an opinion but I generally buy Permatex Loctite blue and red because they are readily available and I am not sure it makes much difference which anti-seize compound is used as long as one is. As I noted previously, the only place where it is really needed, in my personal experience, is spark plug thread. I generally don't have any other fasteners seize.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Dec 2007 07:38 #183812 by ibsen22000
I usually antiseize any part that I don't want to get a hernia taking apart and locktite any part I don't want to see passing me on the highway.

(They say Harly Davidsons don't use enough Locktight on their stuff. In fact the moto is if something falls off, don't turn around. There will be another one up the road!)

More
05 Dec 2007 08:06 #183817 by Little B
Well the whole discussion about whether to use anti-seize with loctite really got me wondering...Google provided. ;)

Turns out that threadlocking compounds like loctite are 'anaerobic adhesives'. They are not like super glue at all. They work when two conditions are met: 1)No air (oxygen) & 2)In contact with metal.

When the above is satisfied, they act as a catalyst to 'set off' the stuff. It then becomes a plastic. My guess is that the reason it works with the anti-seize too is because somewhere within the threads as the bolt is tightened, the loctite comes in contact with a small area of un-coated metal. It doesn't have to be a large area at all. In fact, the tip of a nail will set off a whole tube of the stuff.

One manufacture says that the compounds actually lubricate the components as well. If that is the case, using anti-seize may be redundant.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
05 Dec 2007 08:22 #183821 by Avenger
wiredgeorge wrote:

I don't understand the need to anti-seize compound in a "mock up"... a fastener can't seize that quickly.

To prevent galling.

More
05 Dec 2007 11:38 #183856 by RollingStock
Replied by RollingStock on topic To Locktite or to Anti-Seize, that is my question.
Avenger wrote:

wiredgeorge wrote:

I don't understand the need to anti-seize compound in a "mock up"... a fastener can't seize that quickly.

To prevent galling.

huh?.. just seems like a waste of money and time u guys are going threw.. iv work at a great bike shop we never used anti seize on anything... we only used locked tight when it was needed..

iv build about 7 bikes myself. and put down many of miles and took them apart more times than id like too, never had a problem with not using antiseize..

even on the drag bikes we build.. pulled them apart sooooooooooo much never had a problem with galling or anything alone those lines

73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

More
05 Dec 2007 13:33 #183879 by Avenger
huh?.. just seems like a waste of money and time u guys are going threw.. iv work at a great bike shop we never used anti seize on anything... we only used locked tight when it was needed..

What did you guys use on Axles?

More
05 Dec 2007 14:44 #183889 by RollingStock
Replied by RollingStock on topic To Locktite or to Anti-Seize, that is my question.
Avenger wrote:

What did you guys use on Axles?

little bit of gease..

73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project