Need help with stator rotor

More
16 Jan 2006 12:35 #18150 by djturnz
Need help with stator rotor was created by djturnz
I can't get the rotor off of the crank shaft. I tried the rear axle. I hit it with a hammer. I even put a 10 pound barbell weight over the axle and used it like a slide hammer.

I even had the dealer try it. They heated it with a torch and used an impact with the puller tool. It didn't budge.

It was suggested by a friend to heat the thing up then hit it with freezing spray to seperate the pieces. This seems like a bad idea, but I running out of good ones.

I am wondering if I could cut across the center diameter enough to be able to spread the taper further apart. I just know once I try that, it will never accept a threaded axle again, if it doesn't work.

By the way, the rotor I am removing is bad, so I don't care what happens to it, I just don't want to hurt the crank.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2006 13:38 #18169 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Need help with stator rotor
Heat the center of the rotor till it's cherry red then thread the axle in and smack it with a 4 lb hammer, that ought to do it :)

KD9JUR

More
17 Jan 2006 08:07 #18244 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Need help with stator rotor
The OEM tool I bought for th job is just a cross piece with 4 threaded sections. I assume for different models of bike. Never had any trouble like this. Just threaded in and gave end a whack with mallet, not unlike taking off wheel hub nuts. I assume the rear axle has the compatible thread. The rotor is set on a taper. Heat should by rights do the job. Have you tried a heavy duty bearing puller with the 3 jaws and impact gun with heat? Question is why did it stick in first place? Sorry no quick fix from me.

More
17 Jan 2006 09:03 #18247 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Need help with stator rotor
The slide-hammer is about the best approach,I think.I had the same problem last summer,and I ended up borrowing a slide-hammer(dent-puller) from the local body-shop out here...worked like a charm.It took a few good smacks,but it did come off.Extra weight helped too.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
17 Jan 2006 09:59 #18257 by Garn
Replied by Garn on topic Need help with stator rotor
DjturnZ, tread carefully, we don't want to damage the crank. I use a 3/8 inch ball and the head-stock bolt. I've found the short bolt delivers more impact to get the stator off. I take it with your model Z there is no key? Be careful with heat, remember it's just the stator-rotor boss we want to heat not the crank end. ........Good luck and regardZ

1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

More
17 Jan 2006 12:54 #18283 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic Need help with stator rotor
thanks for the suggestions. I did use a 3 jaw but the rotor is rounded in the back and it wouldn't hold on very well. I am beginning to think the guy screwed me. He said he was selling because he couldn't find the replacement rotor cheap enough. I think he had a shop try to fix it and they couldn't get it off. Oh well, someday I'll ride again. Worst case, I have a good titled bike. Maybe I can find a motor. This sucks.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
19 Jan 2006 12:38 #18696 by djturnz
I bought a propane torch last night. I'm gonna go to tractor supply to see if I can find a 3/8 bearing. What is the bolt size and thread for the axle I am using. I'll see if they have something similar there too.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
19 Jan 2006 13:52 #18712 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Need help with stator rotor
A propane torch might work if you held it there long enough, but I was talking about a oxy/acetylene torch :D

The longer you heat it the more heat is transferred to other parts, I think heating it up fast and getting it off there is the best way. Like was stated above, it's mounted on a taper, as soon as you pop the taper loose it will fall off.

KD9JUR

More
20 Jan 2006 04:16 #18844 by djturnz
I have no access to an oxy torch. Maybe I'll get a bottle of mapp gas. It is at least a little hotter. Does anyone know the thread pitch and bolt size for the rear axle?

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
15 Feb 2006 07:18 #24040 by djturnz
Sandy wrote:

The slide-hammer is about the best approach,I think.I had the same problem last summer,and I ended up borrowing a slide-hammer(dent-puller) from the local body-shop out here...worked like a charm.It took a few good smacks,but it did come off.Extra weight helped too.B)

Where does on go to get a 3/8 bearing. I went to Tractor Supply and they didn't have any balls. Do I want steel? I can buy a pack of 250 steel 3/8 balls online. Is steel too hard? Aluminum? Bronze?

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

• wireman
  • Visitor
15 Feb 2006 08:19 #24042 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Need help with stator rotor
use thebig nut in the center of top triple tree clamp with the ball bearing.goodluck,happy wreching! :whistle:

• wireman
  • Visitor
15 Feb 2006 09:00 #24044 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Need help with stator rotor
try a bearing supply house or someplace that works on heavy duty stuff like truck axles and rearends,or tractor mechanic.goodluck,happy wrenching!;)