Seized Engine

More
14 Nov 2007 19:18 #181112 by Casper16
Seized Engine was created by Casper16
Has anybody had any luck in bringing a seized engine back to life without a major overhaul of the engine? I don't know the history of this KZ750F other than it has 25K miles and the guy say he was just accelerating from a stop sign when he said he heard some noise and the engine seized. The rear wheel locked up and he skidded about 5 ft. An ideas on how to approach the repair?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
14 Nov 2007 19:42 #181118 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Seized Engine
If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest checking to see if the drive chain broke and is the culprit and not a seized engine.

However if the engine is indeed seized, tearing it down to see how extensive the damage is would be the best course IMHO. :unsure:

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/11/14 22:42

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
14 Nov 2007 20:07 #181122 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Seized Engine
I've had luck with getting a reluctant engine to return to normal operation BUT this was from long duration sitting in unfavorable conditions NOT from a PO's description of a driving lock-up.

Generally speaking (I'm hoping for your sake for the disintegrated drive chain too) when an engine "locks-up" while it's being operated... it's not likely to recover from it without a tear down.

I'm in the same boat by the way... Just figured this out today while cleaning and dismantling my "new" '79 650c and discovered the engine would lock-up within a 360 degree rotation of the crank (at the generator). So I'm expecting a full tear-down at this point :(

More
14 Nov 2007 20:23 #181123 by jaguar
Replied by jaguar on topic Seized Engine
Hey, If its not the chain, tear it down. Think about it, how could you enjoy a ride (even a short ride) knowing that the rear wheel could lock up at any given moment. And another thing to check... Make sure the rear caliper didnt stick the pads to the rotor. I say this because my front pads seized yesterday while going 45mph. This bike had 3075 miles when I got it and its a 82 so it sat most of its life. I took all the brakes apart and flushed the systems and all was working fine untill she started slowing down and then I forced it off the road. Thank goodness there was no traffic behind me! I took the pads off and drove straight home. Play it safe, its your skin.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
14 Nov 2007 20:23 #181124 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Seized Engine
with dirtbikes it's common to pull the head off then beat the piston down by placing a block of wood on the piston and hitting it with a BFH.

But they are single cylinder and 2 stroke....

I would try it anyway, the worst you could do is damage a piston; with the motor likely needing so much help why not??

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
15 Nov 2007 11:41 #181200 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Seized Engine
Face it, you are going to have to remove parts to see what is causing the lock up. Can you rotate the engine in either direction? Just pull the engine and take it apart. It is not that hard. Pull the head and cylinders first, They weigh alot. Then, you can see if the pistons are frozen and what shape the rod bearings are in....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
15 Nov 2007 17:37 #181251 by Casper16
Replied by Casper16 on topic Seized Engine
Will I be able to see the primary drive chain by dropping the oil pan? I would think that with the primary drive chain gone, the engine would turn; jsut that you wouldn't have any drive since the secondary shaft would be disconnected

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
More
15 Nov 2007 18:12 #181256 by RetroRiceRocketRider
No, you only need to remove the left side engine cover (pictured below) to examine the drive chain.
It's not that common, but sometimes the chain guard (also pictured below) behind that engine cover will come loose and drag/bind against the chain. Although I doubt that this small guard would be enough to actually prevent the engine output shaft from turning - stranger things have happened though.

With simple hand tools, you should be able to pull the left side engine cover to check it all out in about ten minutes. :)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/11/15 21:23

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

More
15 Nov 2007 18:17 #181257 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Seized Engine
Um, 4R, I believe he said "Primary drive chain", as in the primary chain that runs between the crank and the secondary shaft and drives the clutch basket.

Yes you can see the primary drive chain by dropping the oil pan.

I have never heard of a primary chain on a 650/700/750 breaking, but there's a first time for everything :)

I have a 750 twin motor that locked up while being ridden, (not mine at the time), and the reason it locked up was overheating causing the pistons to seize, and it freed up when it cooled down. It is a bear to turn over (even with no plugs in it) now.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/11/15 21:23

KD9JUR

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
More
15 Nov 2007 18:39 #181259 by RetroRiceRocketRider
You are correct steell.

I was refering back to my first post where I mentioned the drive chain. I really should have noticed he said primary drive chain. :whistle:

I think working two jobs is rotting my brain and is the cause of this. :S

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :P :laugh:

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/11/15 21:40

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

More
15 Nov 2007 19:08 #181267 by Casper16
Replied by Casper16 on topic Seized Engine
Since this is a shaft drive bike, why does everyone keep referring to the drive chain?

More
15 Nov 2007 19:19 #181270 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Seized Engine
i locked one once.
take off the oil pan and look at the rods.
i am willing to bet it is locked there.
i have never heard of a primary chain breaking.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.