Seized Engine

More
16 Nov 2007 04:37 #181298 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Seized Engine
Casper16 wrote:

Since this is a shaft drive bike, why does everyone keep referring to the drive chain?

Probably because we are accustomed to dealing with the chain drive models, don't believe I have ever actually seen a 750 shaft :)

One year (1983) model only maybe?

1983 KZ750F LTD Shaft?

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
16 Nov 2007 05:32 #181303 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Seized Engine
By the way, the original description of the symptom was the EXACT same thing that happened to me when my starter clutch exploded some time back...

SEE THIS THREAD FOR MY STORY ...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
20 Nov 2007 10:43 #181874 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Seized Engine
pull the clutch cover off, oli pan cover off, rotor cover off, ignition cover off, pull all of the plugs out, and inspect, it somethings damaged it should stick out like a soar tumb, and make sure you bring a small flashlight to look in the cylinders, big ones make it hard to see everything because they get in the way.

i'd pull the plugs first, if its not rusted inside the clyinders and theres no valve marks in the top of the pistons you should feel gratefull.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
20 Nov 2007 12:46 #181884 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Seized Engine
Shaft drive bike, accelerating from a stop and the bike locks up...there's nothing definite so far to say it has to be in the engine, it's just assumed the engine siezed. Was there any oil in the engine when this happened?

I would work my way from the rear wheel forward.

Start at the rear wheel. See if you can roll the bike with the tranny in neutral. Check the rear brake setup like jaguar said. Maybe something in the drive shaft setup broke and the engine is fine..remove the rear wheel anyway as you probably need to grease the shaft and splines.

Keep looking for the factory service manual, here buy this one. It's in great shape.
tinyurl.com/29a556

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2007/11/20 15:55

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
22 Nov 2007 17:31 #182237 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Seized Engine
if it is the engine pull the plugs and fill it full of PB blaster and let it sit about a week then rock the crank back and forth if it doesnt free up your gonna have to tear it down.