need advice on a 1320cc KZ1000, thinking of buying it

More
15 Jan 2006 08:20 #17990 by floridamba
I found an 80 KZ1000 LTD in my area, with a 1320 kit, Mikuni flat slide carbs, K&N's, a V&H drag pipe. It's been lowered with shorter shocks. Ignition is by a belt-driven magneto on the right side of the engine.

The bike ran good but he said the electric starter wouldn't turn over the engine so he uses the kickstart. Bike ran strong, sounded good.

I need some advice on how to estimate the value of this bike. Paint is not original but good, it needs tires and a chainguard.

Overall everything was in "good" condition.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
15 Jan 2006 09:37 #17994 by Duck
I would value what you have described at about $500-$800 if it were here in Atlanta. Starts, runs, revs is a hell of a lot different than runs like it should. Proof is in the ride.

-Duck

More
15 Jan 2006 09:41 #17995 by floridamba
I rode it around the area, up to about 60 mph or so. It needs steering head bearings and tires.... but the engine ran well and shifted ok.The engine is probably ok, but it needs to be cleaned up.

My concern is the belt-driven magneto.... it works well but if it dies I'll have to find something to fix or replace it. It appears to have been made for the bike for at least for this type of application.

More
15 Jan 2006 10:02 #17997 by steell
IMHO, you are looking at what could be called a tempermental beast requiring constant attention and overall a PITA. If you looking for a bike to ride then I would keep looking.
I'll agree with Duck, $500-$800 if you are feeling generous and just want a toy to play with.

KD9JUR

More
15 Jan 2006 10:07 #17998 by Mcdroid
floridamba: sound advice from Duck..let me toss in a few more things. I've been following the prices of bigbore Z's 1972-84 for a number of years now and of the KZ1000 family (1977-80), the 1980 model is the only one with the MKII motor. That, in and of itself, would make the model more highly prized than earlier years (a plus). However, does the motor VIN match the frame VIN? If so, that's a plus. The selling prices of 1980 LTD's ranged (in 2003 and 2004) from approx. US$1000 to approx. US$6000. I've seen earlier year z1000LTD's go for as much as US$8000. However, of those that I have info on, the low end were non-runners, while the upper end were either restored or were exceptionally well taken care of. You should also be aware that those that brought the most money on resale were completely (for the most part) bone-stock. What usually happens is that the more modifications one makes to a bike, the asking price is negatively impacted. So, although the seller has a large bag of money invested, the bike is worth considerably less than if he/she would have invested that bag of money into a restoration. The trick is finding a seller that knows that. Most folks think they can recoup those modification investments...they can't. However, if the seller has created the motorcycle (with all those modifications) that you always wanted to build, then all bets are off and it is what the market will bear. Bear also in mind, that once major modifications start being made, they can be a one-way street and that bike is essentially a terminal project...e.g. it cannot be restored to original without a huge bag of money. So, from a standard market viewpoint, the bike may be worth no more that US$1500 to US$2000 (or less). If you are looking to ride it as is (and there may be a host of problems associated with the large overbore [depends on how it was handled]) then this may be the bike for you...if you are looking to return it to it's former glory, then personally, I'd skip it.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• wireman
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2006 10:21 #17999 by wireman
ive got a belt drive magneto around here somewhere in a box it runs off the end of the cranshaft with a gilmer belt mounts behind motor under carbs,sound familiar?i think i paid 500-600 for it back in early ninetys to use on 1428 but never installed it.as far as value of bike goes it depends on how well it was put together if the 1327 was put together right and hasnt been too abused then you are saving a major investment in machine work and parts alone,what about the rest of the chassis is it raked,who did the work,what kind of swingarm,wheels etc? is there anything stamped on the outside of the cylinder,mtc etc or any other signs its actually a bigblock?theres a lot of bikes out there thrown together with a bunch of spare parts that arent what they claim to be,i know a guy who bought a stretched out Z1 back in early 90s that was supposed to be a 1200 with a whole shopping list full of goodies that i didnt think was that impressive for what it was supposed to be after we tore it down it was a stock 900 bottem end and pistons with a milled head and set of cams,i bought an 1170 motor one time and tore it down to find out it was a 1045 with 13:1 pistons and a huge set of cams ,i think they were like k13s but ended up we grabbed wrong motor he had 5-6 of them sitting there when we grabbed it!(MY BAD)see if he will give you a list of whats in the motor ,and tell him you want a 30 day guarentee to give you time to make sure the motor is legit if he wont do that id walk away!post a list of whats in the motor and some pictures if you can to help set a price!goodluck,happy wrenching! B)

• wireman
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2006 10:43 #18002 by wireman
if it was a 73 Z1 id move heaven and earth to try and restore it,but an 80 ltd:whistle: hotrod the damn thing these bikes werent really that special 79s also were mk2 with big crank!i dont worrie about resale value becuase i never get rid of anything ive still got my first 1950 chevy pickup i pulled out of a cornfield for$50 back in 79-80 laying around her somewhere ill probably be buried in that one!bwahagoodluck,happy wrenching!:silly:

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/01/15 13:44

More
15 Jan 2006 10:59 #18004 by floridamba
Great advice from all and my thanks!

I'm a former bike mechanic and would have no problem working on this one, but I really don't want to go through all the trouble/time/expense. I just started a new job and my first assignment has me traveling 2600 miles(one way) to work for several weeks. I don't want the trouble or have the time for it.

If I could get it for cheap then I could take my time to put on standard size shocks, rebuild the steering head, put on new tires, etc. I'd like it basically stock-looking except for engine.

I'll call him and decline it... if he wants to sell for $500 then I would probably get it... he's asking $2,000.

• wireman
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2006 11:14 #18005 by wireman
can you post a picture and contact info if you dont take,maybe ill give him a shot?i can allways use anoter hole in my head,i mean orphaned kawasaki!:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
15 Jan 2006 11:38 #18007 by RacerZ
Mcdroid wrote:I've been following the prices of bigbore Z's 1972-84 for a number of years now and of the KZ1000 family (1977-80), the 1980 model is the only one with the MKII motor.[/quote]

More
15 Jan 2006 11:41 #18008 by floridamba
I talked with the owner and he approved me posting his email in the thread:

loser1@hotmail.com

The bike is in Jacksonville, Florida

email me for pics or the owner also has some pics.

More
15 Jan 2006 12:15 #18012 by floridamba
Wireman, check your U2U for more info