oil pumping out the exaust!

More
24 Oct 2007 07:34 #177887 by Litespd1100
oil pumping out the exaust! was created by Litespd1100
Wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. 1982 KZ 1100 A2. Complete top end rebuild-new valves, guides, seals, bored cylinders .030 over, new pistons, rings...you get the idea. The rubber boots between the airbox and carbs were shot so I went with pods but left the airbox in place with all hoses still plumbed. After carful reassembly engine fired right up but immediatly started smoking horribly and oil was actually comming out the exaust. First thought was the rings so I disassembled the top end and found every thing was good (no broken rings and in correctly). I've had the top end appart about six times looking for something missing or broke. I'm convinced it is caused by something that was modified from the rebuild. Seems like the crankcase is being over pressurized but the vent is not plugged and oil is not poring out of the elbow. Could it be smog stuff since it is still in place? Perhaps an oil port plugged forcing oil into the cylinders? BTW..I used a new two piece head gasket with center o-ring and new corner stud o-rings when I first assembled it and once since. Also, compression test and leak down test both check out. [img]

Post edited by: Litespd1100, at: 2007/10/24 12:53

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
24 Oct 2007 08:12 #177889 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
I currently have the exact same symptoms on my CSR. I replaced the head gaskets, o-rings, valve seals, etc. But still have terrible smoking and oil into the exhaust. Took the head back off and found the problem. I have oil leaking around the outside of a couple of valve guides.

Rather than just replacing the guides, I am currently looking for a replacement head. The head I have now has a lot of other problems--broken/stripped threads. So I'm just going to replace the whole damn thing and hopefully that will solve the problem.

West Linn, OR

• Skyman
  • User
More
24 Oct 2007 08:19 #177890 by Skyman
Oh, and welcome to KZRider. :)

West Linn, OR

More
24 Oct 2007 09:45 #177897 by Litespd1100
Replied by Litespd1100 on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
"oil leaking around the outside of a couple of valve guides"

Do you mean where the valve guides are pressed into the head?

I thought that my valve guides were worn so I had them all replaced along with new seals...still smoke and oil.

Cleaning out all the oil inside my 4-1 exaust is getting old, I'll never have to worry about it rusting out.

Thanks for the welcome, great forum-great information[

'82 KZ1100
'93 DUC 750SS

• Skyman
  • User
More
24 Oct 2007 10:25 #177905 by Skyman
Litespd1100 wrote:

Yes, that is what I mean. You should be able to check the exhaust side with the head on the engine. Just remove the headers and shine a light into the exhaust ports. If the oil is leaking past the guides, you should see it dribbling down the side of the guide. If the leak is on the intake side, you'll probably need to remove the head (or get tricky with a light and mirrors).

West Linn, OR

More
24 Oct 2007 13:35 #177926 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
Litespd1100 wrote:

Wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. 1982 KZ 1100 A2. Complete top end rebuild-new valves, guides, seals, bored cylinders .030 over, new pistons, rings...you get the idea. The rubber boots between the airbox and carbs were shot so I went with pods but left the airbox in place with all hoses still plumbed. After carful reassembly engine fired right up but immediatly started smoking horribly and oil was actually comming out the exaust. First thought was the rings so I disassembled the top end and found every thing was good (no broken rings and in correctly). I've had the top end appart about six times looking for something missing or broke. I'm convinced it is caused by something that was modified from the rebuild. Seems like the crankcase is being over pressurized but the vent is not plugged and oil is not poring out of the elbow. Could it be smog stuff since it is still in place? Perhaps an oil port plugged forcing oil into the cylinders? BTW..I used a new two piece head gasket with center o-ring and new corner stud o-rings when I first assembled it and once since. Also, compression test and leak down test both check out. [img]<br><br>Post edited by: Litespd1100, at: 2007/10/24 12:53

First thing I would suspect in your situation is an overlapped oil expander ring or rings. Look at the plugs, they will give an indication which cylinders are involved You would not be the first.

More
24 Oct 2007 19:47 #177996 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
Skyman wrote:

Litespd1100 wrote:

Yes, that is what I mean. You should be able to check the exhaust side with the head on the engine. Just remove the headers and shine a light into the exhaust ports. If the oil is leaking past the guides, you should see it dribbling down the side of the guide. If the leak is on the intake side, you'll probably need to remove the head (or get tricky with a light and mirrors).

i can look into the intake runners on my csr with the carbs off and the boots on.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
24 Oct 2007 20:03 #178000 by Unitrak
Replied by Unitrak on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
I agree with Modprod. You wouldn't be the first to overlap the oil rings.

Please don't ask me how I know.:pinch:

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
24 Oct 2007 21:34 #178015 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
if u find that it is leaking around your new guides i would think u could repair it yourself. u could mark the bad 1's carfully so they can be replaced in exactly the same orientation . then head the head in an oven (when mommys not home,this is VERY important)at 359* then u can easily drive them out from the bottom.make up a punch that will slide in the guide with a lip to cath the end, or posibly a wood dowel.u should be able to put a sealer on it and replace it maybe some yamabond would be good for this.Any ideas guys.then replace in oven (dont forget the mommy part)replace valve guide .then check for a good valve seal by filling the chamber with thinner to see if it leakes by the valve. lap if neccesary. and away u go .its worth a try, anyways.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
25 Oct 2007 00:03 #178025 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
Unitrak wrote:

I agree with Modprod. You wouldn't be the first to overlap the oil rings.

Please don't ask me how I know.:pinch:

Yeap, don´t ask me either:angry: :pinch: #1 oil expander ring was faulty......

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
25 Oct 2007 04:37 #178043 by Litespd1100
Replied by Litespd1100 on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
Thanks all.....I'll check the guides and rings again.

More
25 Oct 2007 08:07 #178064 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
I did have this same problem last summer:
my deal was that I didn't drain the oil out when I did the top end. and after I finished I put 3.7L of new oil in the crank case. so long story short I had double the necessary oil inside the engine.

ps. I disassembled and reassembled 4 times before I realized what was going on.