oil pumping out the exaust!

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
25 Oct 2007 20:36 #178165 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
After reading this thread, I decided to take another look at my engine to be sure that the problem was what I thought it was.

I took the valves out of the head and poured some ATF into the bucket holes (since ATF is red, I thought it would be easier to spot any leaks around the outside of the guides.

Previously, I saw oil on the guide "nozzle", and assumed that the oil had leaked around the outside of the guide. But this time I didn't see any ATF coming through.

So I decided to take a closer look at the oil rings. I hadn't noticed this before, but this time, I found that 3 of my 4 pistons had broken oil rings. It wasn't very noticeable. What I saw was at the oil ring gap, one of the vertical "tabs" that forms the gap was gone, as shown in the image below.

I've got some old oil rings I can throw on to see if that solves my oil burning problem. I'll decide later if I want to buy new rings. I wish I could buy just the oil expansion ring. :S

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/10/25 23:37

West Linn, OR
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2007 04:42 #178194 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
:S <br><br>Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/10/25 23:37[/quote]

Yes, this is what happens when the expanders get "overlapped" and then forced in anyway. Now you know what to look for.

More
26 Oct 2007 04:55 #178195 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
modprod wrote:

:S

<br><br>Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/10/25 23:37

Yes, this is what happens when the expanders get "overlapped" and then forced in anyway. Now you know what to look for.[/quote]

G´damnit:evil: :evil: :evil:

There must be a fault in production somewhere since I got one expander ring exactly like that too. This happened spring ´06. Finnish importer of Kawasaki could not believe att all that it wasn´t caused by installation error. And I´m not the only one here in Finland either:pinch: :angry:

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
26 Oct 2007 08:51 #178229 by Litespd1100
Replied by Litespd1100 on topic oil pumping out the exaust!
Well, if there's one thing I learned from this project it's that many different problems can cause the same results, or very similar anyway. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me this weekend. I'm tearing the top end appart one piece at a time (again!) but at least this time I have a better idea of what to look for. Thanks again for all the info.

I've been messing around with this particular problem for years now. Every time I think I've fixed the problem and get it back together only to have the same smoke and oil pouring out of it has gotten very frustrating, the bike ends up stuffed into a corner of the garage for yet another year. Luckily I've always had something else to ride.

I am determined to fix this, I will not let the gremlins win! With the knowledge pouring from this site I have confidence that I will find the solution.

I'll keep you posted.