Valve Shims From ebay motors

• JimatMilkyWay
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Oct 2007 23:05 #177185 by JimatMilkyWay
Valve Shims From ebay motors was created by JimatMilkyWay
Well guys
I did not find any offers to sell me shims for cheap, so I got these: cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Z1-Dragbike-
KZ900-KZ1000-VALVE-SHIMS-29mm_W0QQitemZ250175532466
QQihZ015QQcategoryZ35595QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV
iewItem#ebayphotohosting
I have _never_ bought anything from ebay before tonight. In fact, _I_ did not buy these. I read a few articles on the www last night about ebay buying strategies and told my wife what to do and when. She sent my bid in while I was working the observatory. Well, she called me at work and told me I got them!!!
But not for cheap. The question I want to ask you guys, seeing as I have never bought off ebay, is if I need to do anything other than send money. Are ebay purchases safe as a rule? Do I need to ask any other questions or be concerned about anything? If I get them and they are cracked or scored so as to render them unusable, then what do I do? Is PayPal a hassle to set up?

After posting this, I tried to click the link and I obviously posted it wrong. I also tried to copy all 4 lines then paste it to the address bar, but that did not work either. No suggestions, sorry.

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/10/20 02:12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
20 Oct 2007 00:10 #177187 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Valve Shims From ebay motors
JimatMilkyWay wrote:

Well guys
I did not find any offers to sell me shims for cheap, so I got these: cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Z1-Dragbike-
iewItem#ebayphotohosting
I have _never_ bought anything from ebay before tonight. In fact, _I_ did not buy these. I read a few articles on the www last night about ebay buying strategies and told my wife what to do and when. She sent my bid in while I was working the observatory. Well, she called me at work and told me I got them!!!

Congrats on your first ever eBay win! :)

The question I want to ask you guys, seeing as I have never bought off ebay, is if I need to do anything other than send money.

Sending your payment is the only thing you need to complete right now, the rest will come later.
Just be sure to read the sellers payment (forms of payment accepted and when it must be completed by) and shipping info (if stated, when item will be shipped once you've paid, and shipped through whom - UPS, USPS, etc).

Are ebay purchases safe as a rule?

It can really vary, but from my experience for the most part it should go smoothly.
Personally, I always review a sellers feedback prior to placing a bid to see if there are any negatives against him/her, especially ones with the same complaints (slow shipping, poor/no communication, undisclosed damage).
Identical/similar complaints in a short span of time is usual a good sign to steer clear of that part, another part like it (possibly even at a lesser price) WILL show up eventually.

Do I need to ask any other questions or be concerned about anything?

If it isn't shown in the auction listing, use the "ask seller a question" link to find out what shipper (UPS, etc) your item will be shipped through. Knowing this will give you an idea on how and roughly when it will arrive.

If I get them and they are cracked or scored so as to render them unusable, then what do I do?

If shipping insurance is offered, especially on a high-dollar item, be sure to pay for it - if the item is damaged once it reaches you and you didn't purchase insurance, you're basically SOL.
You can contact the seller and explain the damage to see if he/she would be willing to refund all or part of the purchase price, but don't always count on this happening.
Some sellers are compassionate and will either send you a new item or refund your money (minus shipping costs), but these types of sellers are rare, and it usually only aplies to lower dollar items (gaskets, spark plugs, etc).

Is PayPal a hassle to set up?

It's actually very simple, but time consuming (it is an eBay company by all means:whistle:).
Once applied for, Paypal will need to verify your bank account (or credit card) that you plan on linking to your new Paypal account.
With a linked bank/credit card account, they will send you 2 very small deposits over a few day period. Once you've recieved them, you only need to verify the amounts and on what days they were recieved to finish the process.
When you transfer funds from your bank account to your Paypal account it can take several days for it to post, but there is a way around the waiting period.
With zero dollars in your Paypal account, you can bid on and purchase an item if your bank account is an ATM debit card type, and the purchase will go through right away - presto! B)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
20 Oct 2007 00:10 #177188 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Valve Shims From ebay motors
All you need to do is send your money to the seller. I use PayPal(not hard to set up an account...if you are going to be using E-Bay, get it set-up and then you don't have to worry about it anymore) myself because if there is ever a problem, you can go through them to get it fixed. They help get your parts or money if the seller doesn't send the parts. They are the middle-man sorta. E-Bay has steps you can go through to complain if you don't get your part or money back, if that's the case, but you have to file a claim within 10-60 days from the time you paid for the part. As a rule, I think E-Bay is fine. I have only had one time I didn't get my part or money returned but I didn't follow through in time so in some respects, it was my fault but that doesn't excuse the seller for not sending part. Time to ask questions is before you bid. On the shims, I would have asked what sizes and take a close look at the pictures to see if you can see rust or such. If you need, ask for more pictures. Ask any questions you think you should. If you buy a part, and it's not what you thought it was supposed to be...ex. shims are rusty when you get them...you can call the seller and see if he will refund your money...some do, some don't...that's why you ask questions. Most times, once you buy something, it's yours! Just depends on the seller. I always look at the pictures real close and ask any questions I might have before I bid though. This is one of those things, the more you do it, the better you get at it. You learn as you go. Just treat it like you were buying anything.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• JimatMilkyWay
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Oct 2007 08:18 #177223 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic Valve Shims From ebay motors
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

JimatMilkyWay wrote:

Well guys
iewItem#ebayphotohosting

Congrats on your first ever eBay win! :)

Wow, thanks RetroRiceRocketRider, you put a lot of work into that response. The amount of time and effort that all you guys put into this whole KZR concept is unbelievable.
I will get a postal money order on Monday and send to seller. I did not want to spend that much when I could have gotten away with a $10 to $15 investment for one shim plus shipping. However, I am reassured that I now will be in a position to fine tune gaps on the entire bank anytime I wish.
The other disappointment is how much time I spent on the entire process. I think I would have saved time and money if I had carted the scoot to Atlanta or wherever I could find a good wrench turner, and had them do it. One of our members right here on KZR even offered to come up and help me with it. I would have loved that, but do not wish to impose, especially since he is nearly 100 miles distant. I hope I get what I believe I am buying. The shim sizes were listed and pictured on the ad, so as stated previously, I am fixed for life as shim needs go.
Jim@MilkyWay

• JimatMilkyWay
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Oct 2007 08:31 #177226 by JimatMilkyWay
racer54 wrote:

All you need to do is send your money to the seller. I use PayPal...

Thanks racer
I will set up the account in the near future. Does it cost extra for using PayPal? I haven't had time to investigate that aspect yet.
If the shims have rust, it is not obvious in the pics. There was a comment that the seller would retract the winning bid if requested because he failed to disclose that the shims are not NOS. Is this something I should worry about. As far as I am concerned, used or NOS makes no difference so long as there are no cracks or deep erosion spots on the top surfaces.
Jim@MilkyWay

P.S.
I went back and checked the ad. He states that the pics are not of the shims actually on bid, but that all shims are in excellent condition.

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/10/20 11:35

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
20 Oct 2007 08:33 #177229 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Valve Shims From ebay motors
I use to send money orders, but then switched to PayPal.

-Be weary of the low sale prices, and high shipping costs before you bid.

-Search the item you want to bid on with www/buykawasaki.com to see if it will fit your application. Nothing like buying somthing that doesn't fit your application. ARRRRRGH!!!

-Most members here add their ebay name to their signatures, so if you see someone bidding on something you want, you can PM them and see what their maximum prices they want it for is.

-Look who your bidding against in their history, and be weary of bidding against those that have "0" wins.

-Clothing. Try on what you want at store before bidding.

Most is a learning curve, but now that you've won something, you're hooked from now on.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• JimatMilkyWay
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Oct 2007 08:37 #177230 by JimatMilkyWay
CoreyClough wrote:

...Most is a learning curve, but now that you've won something, you're hooked from now on.

Oh CRAPP
Don't tell me that!:silly:

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
More
20 Oct 2007 08:40 #177231 by RetroRiceRocketRider
It doesn't cost anything to send money through Paypal, but they do charge a fee to recieve money.
I don't recall the exact formula they use, but they charge a percentage (something like 2.3% IIRC) to the person recieving the funds.

I wouldn't worry to much about the shims being used. Lots of dealerships swap used shims with folks for a small fee (always cheaper than buying new). :)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
More
20 Oct 2007 08:48 #177233 by RetroRiceRocketRider
JimatMilkyWay wrote:

CoreyClough wrote:

...Most is a learning curve, but now that you've won something, you're hooked from now on.

Oh CRAPP
Don't tell me that!:silly:

Corey has a good point!

You think you've been missing sleep when working on or riding your bike so far, just wait until you get hooked on surfing eBay for parts that you want (but don't necessarily need :whistle:), and your wife will be badgering you at 2 a.m. to "get off that f-ing computer and come to bed"! :S
It's a proven fact.
Signed - Yet another eBay addicted KZ rider. :laugh:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
20 Oct 2007 10:40 #177252 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Valve Shims From ebay motors
...then there's Craigslist, and you end up buying another parts bike. You know that won't stop you from surfing and buying on ebay. 10 years from now the parts will showing up less, and for more money. You know you have to tell yourself, "I can't have them all." So, go ahead and take that 1 week vacation without your lap-top. Just think all of the sales you've missed before you found Ebay?

Go ahead, look, shop, and learn. If you have any questions about a specific part, ask the seller, then if you don't get any info, ask us here.

Oh, Hi Chris. Hows the nice warm weather in So Cal?

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
20 Oct 2007 11:05 #177257 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Valve Shims From ebay motors
The other tip for buying something on EBay (especially motorcycle parts) is to have patience. Unless you are in a big hurry for the parts, don't let yourself get caught up in bidding wars that take the price way above what is reasonable.

For most items, if you don't win it this time, the same part will come up again. So decide what you are willing to pay ahead of time, and don't go above that price. Don't buy into the "shop victoriously" frenzy.

Back when I was looking for some shims, I lost several auctions before I finally won a set of over 50 shims of various sizes for $35. Now, I got quite lucky with that one, but the point is, patience paid off.

West Linn, OR

More
20 Oct 2007 12:15 #177270 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Valve Shims From ebay motors
Pay pal is real easy to use and set up an account. One thing, I don't think anyone mentioned. I wouldn't link your paypal account to your bank account. Link it to a credit card. That way if paypal gets hacked the badguys only get a CC# and not carte blance to go tip-toeing through your bank account.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades